Greatest money burner !

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
From Top Gear, funny !

Lose £350 a day…
With all the spare cash floating merrily round the economy at the moment, we’re sure it’s a question you’ve asked yourself: what’s the quickest way to lose all my money on a car?

Short of, y’know, actually setting fire to it. Or lending it to Cristiano Ronaldo. Well, we’ve got the answer.

Buy a Maybach 62S.

Invest in one of the dictator-spec luxury saloons and it’ll shed – ready for this? - £350 per day during the first year. According to research by Parker’s, the £345,800 62S loses a whopping £216,600 in its first 12 months, leaving its value at just £129,200 – or just over 60 per cent of its original price.

£350 a day! How brutal is that? Wander sleepily down to your heated underground garage in the morning, click the Maybach’s fob and wham! £350 down the drain. Every day. Ouch.

Maybe it’s no less than you’d expect from something as absurd and ostentatious as the 62S. The bad news is that even the more sensible limos are leaking money just as precipitously – worse, in fact, in percentage terms. The Merc S600, for example, loses 47 per cent of its value in the first year, while the BMW 7-Series is worth just 49 per cent of its original list price.

Want to avoid the depreciation deluge? Don’t buy a car. Or, if you have to, go for a Rolls Royce Phantom Saloon, which loses a mere £71,550 of its value in the first year – or just 24 per cent of its £298,900 list price. Top value, that is.

Who said we don’t do sensible consumer advice?:frown

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
buying the high end Mercs when they are 2 years old is what I do. Half the sticker to me is a bargain.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Or - just buy a Nissan GT-R after it's out of warrantee...:biggrin

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I bought a 2001 S55 AMG for 50k a few years back. Wow, what a bargain, I thought knowing that the car was 120k new and here was two year old with just 40k miles on it. How could I go wrong?

After spending an average of 2500 per month on repairs over the next year I sold the car for 17k and was glad to get rid of it. I'm afraid of Mercedes ever since and would only buy one if it had a bumper to bumper warranty and a guaranteed value at the end of a two year period.

My '85 Rolls was cheapr to buy, is cheaper to run and way cheaper to fix.

Last edited:

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Greatest money burner? Easty, that's Congress.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I bought a 2001 S55 AMG for 50k a few years back. Wow, what a bargain, I thought knowing that the car was 120k new and here was two year old with just 40k miles on it. How could I go wrong?

After spending an average of 2500 per month on repairs over the next year I sold the car for 17k and was glad to get rid of it. I'm afraid of Mercedes ever since and would only buy one if it had a bumper to bumper warranty and a guaranteed value at the end of a two year period.

My '85 Rolls was cheapr to buy, is cheaper to run and way cheaper to fix.

so true, no matter when you buy your merc, you will be forced to sell it for half of what you paid for it, :thumbsdow i have a sl55 I can give a way, its a 03 with 70k miles, otherwise very clean, I would take 35k for it any takers?

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I bought my Ford GT three years ago, slightly used at a Mercedes dealer. They had a Mayback for sale at the same time that was 2 1/2 times the sticker pricce of my GT. Made me feel like I was being very thrifthy at the time. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I bought my Ford GT three years ago, slightly used at a Mercedes dealer. They had a Mayback for sale at the same time that was 2 1/2 times the sticker pricce of my GT. Made me feel like I was being very thrifthy at the time. :thumbsup

Now your FGT maybe worth more than that Mayback. :biggrin

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Now your FGT maybe worth more than that Mayback. :biggrin

What a great thought.....and probably true.:biggrin

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Greatest money burner? Easty, that's Congress.

Nope.....my ex

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Went from two Mercs as daily drivers, with one in the shop at least every two weeks, to two Volvo's that go in for scheduled repairs only. Love the people at the dealership, very supportive of our community, but the cars proved to be problematic.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Mercs don't have the best reputations - however they have produced some wonderful cars over the years. The SL55AMG was a beast - and clever too.

I have to say that I am an ambassador for Range Rover these days, mine has had a problem free 3 years and 60,000 on the dials.

As for the Maybach, it's a curious thing - beautifully made but with poor styling, it reminds me of me in so many ways.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
As for the Maybach, it's a curious thing - beautifully made but with poor styling, it reminds me of me in so many ways.

Oh how I can relate to your message Neilda!