Great Motor Trend Article comparing stock Z06 vs. 5 tuner cars including Accufab GT

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
If you haven't had a chance to pick up this month's issue of Motor Trend, get it!

Great article comparing 5 tuner cars to a stock Z-06. Of particular interest is the fact that the GT was the second lightest car (2nd to a stock Z06), had one of the worst coefficient of drag (tied with Viper), and was applauded for great driveability. The car was making about 750hp at the engine and was compared to 1000hp+cars. Not surprisingly, on street tires, the GT was the fastest in the 1/4 mile. Having a background in tuning, it never ceases to amaze me how many people will pay bick bucks for bragging rights with a street car, then get upset when there car loses to a stock car because they can't plant the tires and put the power to the pavement. For a race car or a drag car, it is a different story, but, for a street car, traction is your limiting factor in many cases for speeds up to 100-120mph.

Sounds like a 750hp GT is the perfect combo of performance, power, and speed; the numbers put it neck and neck with all other super exotics (Carrera GT, Enzo, SLR, etc...)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm definitely gonna pick it up tonight :cheers

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Just read the article, well done, some very comprehensive tests, but did seem like a really weird mix of cars, prices, HP, mods (or in the case of the Z06, bone stock) etc. I know they were all American, after that, not so much commonality. But who cares, the relatively mildly tuned GT fared very well.

Mar 15, 2006
The Accufab Gt Ran Some Very Impressive Numbers!

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Damn, I've got to get to the store!

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
I'm not a fan of Motor Trend they are pretty biased at times. I geuss this one might be good.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I was surprised that they used Michelin tires to equal out all of the cars. I haven't been able to find them to fit the GT yet. Must be something coming down the pipe for us owners.

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Strange that they would use a stock Z06. Seems kind of unfair to the Vette to put it up against tuner cars. And there's no shortage of tuner solutions for the Z06, that's for sure. Thumbs down to Motor Trend for doing this.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Strange that they would use a stock Z06. Seems kind of unfair to the Vette to put it up against tuner cars. And there's no shortage of tuner solutions for the Z06, that's for sure. Thumbs down to Motor Trend for doing this.

Agreed. However this was the loose basis of the article itself. They wanted to see how a bone stock Z06 could perform against the tuner cars.

Another interesting point about the article is that they allegedly surprised all of the tuner cars by having them complete a California-level smog check. Of course the Z06 passed, but the GT was the only one of the tuner cars to pass.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I think the point was to prove that mega dollar exotics with large modifications are often inferior performers to a well-thought out stock car, i.e Z06. You can make a car spin the rollers on a dyno real fast, but does that make you any faster? Luckily in the case of the GT, the chassis is so non-plussed by additional power that it actually makes the car faster...

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Here's a link to the specifications for the GT from the Article:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0606_sf_tuner_vehicle_specifications/

Mar 15, 2006
lthlvpr said:

are you the same lthlviper that used to race a Viper comp coupe at Silver State? do you have a twin turbo Gallardo or twin turbo GT too?