Gentex Homelink Auto Dimming Mirror w/ Temperature Gauge & Compass Brand New

Below is what we have one of for $300 shipped!

Gentex HomeLink® Auto-dimming Mirrors from MITO Corporation

Auto-Dimming Mirrors with HomeLink®

HomeLink®, the Wireless Control System that learns the codes for up to three remote control devices, is now available in an auto-dimming rearview mirror through MITO Corp. No more fumbling to find the remote control. No more crowded visors with multiple remotes for garage door openers, security lights and entry gates. Now all these devices can be operated with dedicated buttons integrated into a auto-dimming rearview mirror equipped with HomeLink®.
imageshomeimage1.jpg

HomelinkDual.jpg

Auto Dimming Comp/Temp w/HomeLink - MITO Harness

Part# 50-GENK50A

MSRP $399.00
pixel.gif

HomeLink®, developed by Johnson Controls, Inc., the world’s leading supplier of automotive seating and interior systems, has grown to become one of the auto industry’s most recognizable brands. It is currently available as a factory-installed or optional feature on over 140 different vehicles.

Gentex Corporation is the leading manufacturer of auto-dimming rearview mirrors. The company’s mirrors use a combination of sophisticated sensors and electronic circuitry to detect and eliminate the headlight glare from rearward-approaching vehicles. Gentex mirrors are factory installed on millions of new vehicles each year.

Your customers can now enjoy the safety of an auto-dimming mirror and the added convenience of reduced visor clutter, all in one product. HomeLink® auto-dimming mirrors are now available for dealers and distributors through MITO Corporation, the aftermarket distributor.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have one and love it!

Since the OEM mirror has the interior lights that will be missing, you should install the Shadowman interior dome light as well.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have one and love it!

Since the OEM mirror has the interior lights that will be missing, you should install the Shadowman interior dome light as well.

That was the missing piece. The "dome light". Can you point to it?

I have used the Gentex in two vehicles. The first was my Mustang where I bought the kit from Ford. The wiring harness was Ford supplied but you still had to get into the headliner and A-Pillar, and get through the firewall to connect the temp sensor. It was a manageable task but you have to be patient.

I liked the concept so much that I replaced the mirror in my Dodge truck with one. The truck already has compass and temp so all I needed was the self-dimming and Homelink. (Note that Gentex makes all the combinations of self-dimming [electrochromic], compass, temperature and Homelink). This kit was the Mito corp harness. I did my homework this time and found that both switched and unswitched 12V were available in the overhead. Strip a little insulation, splice, solder and heat shrink and it looks like it was supposed to be there.

For the FGT I would probably want the full boat (temp, compass, homelink) so would be curious what the power situation is in the overhead. If both switched and unswitched are there, then all that is needed is routing the temp sensor to the front.

Don't pay much attention to the fuses. You'll be tapping a fused power line. The mirror only only needs a few hundred milliamps at 12V at the most, so the fuses are for short circuit protection which already exist.

Also, there is some reasonable assertion that both portions (mirror/compass and Homelink) should always be on switched. This prevents someone from reaching in and opening your garage doors while the car is in the driveway. My opinion is that if I leave an unlocked vehicle in the driveway with locked garage doors that I get what I deserve.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
One more item. Removing the existing mirror can be problematic. You may need a "shim" to get under the retainer clip to slide the existing mirror off the slug that is glued to the glass. Be careful when removing it - it is very easy to break the glass!

On the replacement there are two kinds. The Ford kit uses the same spring clip. I found that the mirror vibrated. Not unusable but noticeable. The Mito kit comes with a hex set screw. No vibration at all.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You can see the dome light here:
http://www.discovery-automotive.com/portal/module.php?id=project_fieldofdreams

I got the parts from Shadowman and he walked me through the installation process, it is a standard Ford part number (don't know the number) Getting the headliner and A pillar covers off was worrisome, but with Bill's help it came out great. If I recall correctly always on power is already there the mirrors lights are controlled by ground leads. The temp sensor wire is not a big deal since you got the A pillar covers off for the dome light. The homelink buttons work even when the ignition is off, unlike many other cars. I like it this way, but if you don't I guess you can wire the always on power to the switched power.

DSC00251.jpg

Last edited:
This is a personal piece which I purchased for my GT500 but never installed. It is a great upgrade for a GT as well.