Geico dropping coverage because car was seen on track

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010
Just saw this posted from a Viper owner who went to the Viper Owners Invitational last year.....Geico dropped coverage on his cars even though there was no wreck or claim....cancelled coverage on all 9 of his cars. Definitely cover or remove plates when at track type events....even autocrosses. Here is the letter he received and the link to the youtube video of his car on the track.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/668714-quot-ALERT-quot-Big-problems-with-GEICO-Insurance

George

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I guess I assumed nearly every mainstream insurer had a "no track" amendment on the policy. Or are you saying that simply because he was on the track that they think he is too risky to insure?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
This is nuts.

I fully understand why an Ins Co will not pay for track-caused damage, but, the idea that an Ins Co can, in effect, tell their policy holders they are forbidden to take any of the cars THEY OWN onto a track (for whatever reason) is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the line.

Talk about "big brother"...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
That's not it at all. What Geico is saying is, if you track any of your cars, we don't want your business. Note Geico canceled the collision coverage on all 9 of his cars, not just the one "caught" on the track.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
That damn lizard doesn't seem so cute now, does he?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I don't care about GEICO's rates. They are cherry pickers. Eff them.

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
They are the ones that didn't use to allow radar detectors either......if I recall correctly......

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Just wait until insurers start forcing telemetry on all of us. The electronics on the cars will make it all-too-easy. All this tech that many are enamored with is going to bite us on the keister.

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010
Or lets say you want to be a good guy and volunteer to give a ride to a Make A Wish child for a parade lap around a race track at 20 mph and somebody posts it on Youtube or other social media. You could be dropped even though you never have or never will track or race your car or any of your cars. It looks like they might even target autocrossing as a reason to deny coverage.

I posted this so people can at least know this is going on and to be aware of the potential b.s. you might run into. Personally, I would never put my car on the track for any reason with a license plate on it.

George

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Can you say "bad faith". They might have to eat one if someone took them up

he should call Drew

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
My thoughts as well.

It is very comforting to know Drew, a Forum Sponsor and financial sponsor of several of our rally events, is so active and generous with our FGT ownership ranks.

For me, knowing I have an experienced FGT owner who knows what a Ford "GT" is (no it is not that Mustang) representing my car insurance company it worth every policy penny....

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Does anyone know of an insurance company that is track day friendly?

My wife, the consumer affairs director for a large national association, says that the OP should contact his state insurance commissioner with a complaint about the unjustified GEICO cancellation. It will cause a considerable amount of trouble for the insurance company.