Gearbox chatter

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Can any one help, I'm sorry in advance if this has been discused.

When I drive my GT in 2nd, 3rd you can hear the gearbox chatter and the gear shift vibrates, if I put my hand on it and push forward gently it stops,

Is this normal, or do I have a problem, the GT has only done 340 miles, still running in.

Thanks in advance

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
That's not normal. I'd say you have a problem. As the Ford delaers are not authorized to open up the transaxle (thank God!), they will simply swap it or a new one. Take it to a dealer with a good reputation and take the service manager for a drive and show him the problem.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My shifter moves under acceleration but it doesn't vibrate. I wouldn't worry about it until you get it broken in.

Just.....

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Have your dealer check the shift cable adjustment. It's not real hard to do. If you want to check it yourself, let me know, and I'll explain how to do it.

Hope this helps
Rich :biggrin

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
GT Tech said:
Have your dealer check the shift cable adjustment. It's not real hard to do. If you want to check it yourself, let me know, and I'll explain how to do it.

Hope this helps
Hey Rich,
Please do explain this procedure for all.
It would probably help a lot of folks that are experiencing some apprehensions, including myself.
Thanks,
Fred

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Rich

If you could explain the procedure it would be most helpful please.

Being a UK owner, I am limited on where to take the car, Rousch are looking after the GT's here in the UK for Ford and its some way away.

I will take it down if needs be, but the problem does not appear to be serious, its only in 1st and 2nd at low speads, it just chatters, other than that its fine

Thanks

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
same here in Italy. Good good guys on hand, but need the procedure to optimize eventually.
I only have some start shudder in first, taking off slowly, and not at all in reverse. That was so until yesterday, when I noticed first slight shudder in reverse as well for the first time.

Stefan

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Shift cable adjustment procedure

To check cable adjustment, Start by making sure the shifter is in the neutral position, and the parking brake is on. Remove the air cleaner assembly. On the right side of the transaxle, you will see where the cables attach to the shift arms.

Remove the hair pin "c" clip from the cable end and gently pry the cable end socket from the ball stud on the shift arm. With the cable unhooked from the shift arm, make sure the socket on the cable is directly in line with the ball stud. You should be able to fit the cable on the ball stud without the shift arm or shift lever moving. Again, the shift lever must be in neutral. Only do one cable at a time. If an adjustment is needed, loosen the 10mm jam nut on the cable and adjust the cable end. Put a little dab of grease in the socket before reinstalling it.

Take care when removing or replacing the little hair pin clips. They are kind of a pain to hold on to, and tend to get dropped very easy. I reccommend putting rags under the area so if one of the little varmits does get away from you, it will save you from pulling the rear defuser and spending the day with a magnet looking for it.(been there,done that)

It may sound complicated, but once you pull the air cleaner, you will see that it's really pretty simple. If you have any problems or questions, let me know and I'll send my phone number and walk you through it.

SLF360, sounds to me like your getting a little clutch chatter.

Hope this helps

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
GT Tech said:

:biggrin

Rich,
yes, but why ! Is it because i drive too slow, or too hard. Not easyu to figure out, because slow, slow goes smooth, and slow chatters, and fast is in the money all the time (Burning money aka tyres emitting funny white smoke, and Italians going crazy and kissing assphalt) :bow :biggrin

I must say, difficile figuring outta Ammericano supa carrs, amico ! :banana :willy :eek :lol but funn:biggrin

I drive it like I just have to :thumbsup :eek , it's like lying next to Bony's avatar and thinking about church, you know... difficile...

ciao tutti,

Stefano

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
GT Tech said:
:biggrin

hey clutch:
shutta upp ! :lol

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Attached is a picture to complement Rich's adjustment write-up. Note that when re-installing this small safety wire, it needs to fit through BOTH a front hole in the socket and a similar hole in the back of the socket. In other words, the wire should go all of the way in - right up to the 90 degree bend. Then you can simply clip it over. If it goes only 90% in, then you are missing the rear hole (shut up, Bony, don't go there). It will still clip over but there's a greater risk that it will pop off.

wireclip.JPG