Gauge Problem

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I broke out my GT today for the first time in a few months and took a about a 60 mile drive and I noticed I was low on gas and I was sure I had filled it before the winter, anyway I figured I would stop somewhere on my drive and fill up, and the gas gauge never moved but since it was low I thought maybe I just didn't notice? I stopped and gassed up and it would only take about 5 gallons and it was filled to the brim, so the gas gauge is not working! I haven't looked into it yet and I was wondering if anyone has experienced an electrical problem or maybe the float in the tank is stuck? Any idea's or advice other than the obvious (dealer)? All the other gauges are working fine!
thanks in advance!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hopefully at you next key-on sequence, the gas gauge will reset itself. What you described has happened to many owners and *most* of the time it is because the gauge failed to initialize at key-on. The worst case scenario - if it doesn't start reading again, is that the gauge has gone bad. (The GT uses sonar and not a float to judge the level in the tank.)

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
(The GT uses sonar and not a float to judge the level in the tank.)

How can I find out more about this? Very interesting!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Do a search. GTJoey has a nice narrative on it from years ago.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
thanks appreciate the info!

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
Same thing happened to mine while fueling up changed the battery no problems since

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Same thing happened to mine while fueling up changed the battery no problems since

Were all your other guages working alright when the gas gauge stopped working? My gas gauge is like stuck on the red low fuel warning line.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
A few weeks ago mine was 1/4 full so I filled it and it took 20 minutes or more to go to 3/4 full. Then on next start up went all the way full. Now "seems" ok. This will probably get me shot, but these cars can test your patience.

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
Yes all my other gauges were working, only my fuel gauge stayed stuck at 1/4 tank. Once I restarted it the gauge came back online.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yes all my other gauges were working, only my fuel gauge stayed stuck at 1/4 tank. Once I restarted it the gauge came back online.

Many GTs have experienced this on a few occasions. Don't worry about it. Keep your battery maintained when not driving.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I always keep the maintainer Ford supplied with the car hooked up, hope it fix's itself!

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Hopefully at you next key-on sequence, the gas gauge will reset itself. What you described has happened to many owners and *most* of the time it is because the gauge failed to initialize at key-on. The worst case scenario - if it doesn't start reading again, is that the gauge has gone bad. (The GT uses sonar and not a float to judge the level in the tank.)

I talked to the dealer tech today about my gas gauge and they told me the worst case scenario could be a gauge module and in order to change that, the center console and dash might have to come out! Has anyone had to deal with situation before?
thanks!

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I haven't dealt w/ this situation on my car but I know someone who has. And it did not turn out well.

And if you're working w/ the GT tech at Cowles Ford, he's a good guy and a good tech.

But no way, no how, cost be damned would anyone other than Rich and Denis do this work on my car.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I talked to the dealer tech today about my gas gauge and they told me the worst case scenario could be a gauge module and in order to change that, the center console and dash might have to come out! Has anyone had to deal with situation before?
thanks!

Hi Jamie. It would be VERY unlikely that it was a gauge control module. It is VERY likely that it is simply the fuel gauge. Removing the center console and/or the lower dash panel on a GT is child's play after you have done it several times. Probably not so the first or second time. This is the challenge with dealerships. Most see few if any GTs and, consequently, they have no opportunity to develop experience with this platform. Depending on how handy you are, replacing a gauge in the dash IS something you can do yourself. There are any number of us here on the forum that have done it countless times, and we'd all be happy to walk you through the process. Eric from Shelby Elite, Rich or Dennis, myself or my ace Ryan would be happy to assist you. I really don't think that us GT-centric businesses are better than anyone else but what differentiates us is that we have each chosen to invest considerable time and experience in the GT and all of us have accumulated knowledge and little "tricks of the trade".... just as anyone would when they do a task numerous times. I would encourage you to leverage these GT-centric shops and choose the one that is most logistically convenient for you.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Very well stated and much more informative than my post, Kendall!

Even though these are Fords, they are still expensive and complicated machines.

And some owners swear by certain dealerships and that's good for them.

Also wasn't trying to slight any other expert techs we have here on the board -- were I on the left coast, I'd likely get to see you at some point.

But here in sunny NoVa, and so long as they're willing to do the work, I'm locked onto the GT Guy for anything other than the most routine service work.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Also wasn't trying to slight any other expert techs we have here on the board -- were I on the left coast, I'd likely get to see you at some point.
But here in sunny NoVa, and so long as they're willing to do the work, I'm locked onto the GT Guy for anything other than the most routine service work.

Yeah, NO WORRIES, KJD. I too have one or two good things about those "GT Guys" !! :biggrin:biggrin

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jamie if you are going to MIR anytime soon let me know and we can do this change out at my place as I have taken mine out several times installing the A/F gauges and boost gauges (easy process). I am just down the street from MIR.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Jamie if you are going to MIR anytime soon let me know and we can do this change out at my place as I have taken mine out several times installing the A/F gauges and boost gauges (easy process). I am just down the street from MIR.

Thanks I appreciate it! I haven't decided how I am going to handle it yet? but I am pretty sure I am going to buy a gauge and change that as its worth the cost to me to change that first even if that isn't the problem. The dash is the last thing I ever want to see come out and I am pretty decent mechanically and I will probably do the gauge myself, but if I feel I can't handle it when I look at it I will call you, thanks again!

Kendall and KJD thanks for the advice!

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
This seems to be another instance of diagnosis leading to the module instead of the gauge. Same thing happened at my own dealership. I know others have replaced the module, but almost all of these problems have been cured with gauge replacement correct?

I wonder if the procedures or testing process which simulates a reading to the gauge is somehow incorrect? leading to the module being suspect instead of just the gauge?

As others have said removing instrument pad and swapping gauge is not difficult and with some good taping you wont leave any trace or marks.