Gauge Death -- That was weird...

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Hey Guys,

I keep forgetting to post about this (was traveling and working too long/hard all this week), but last Friday (the 18th) I was driving my GT home from work up PCH. I was about 5 minutes into my commute when I scanned the gas gauge. It was on empty and I was like, "What the F&*%! I just had 1/4 tank on the way in." Before I could fully explore this mystery I glanced at the oil pressure and saw it at "0". I was just about to freak out when I noticed the tach and speedo also at "0" even though the engine was running and I was going about 30 mph.

At this point I knew the gauge cluster had died, but the car was running fine and with traffic congestion I couldn't easily pull over. This went on for about two minutes and I kept scanning the gauges looking for activity. They stayed dead but everything else seemed fine -- radio was working and all that. Then I got inspired by what my old 1970 Plymouth GTX does on occasion. The gauges will suddenly all start to peg out, with everything going to maxium and beyond. Obviously this can damage them if they stay this way for long, but if I flip on the headlights, or even the parking lights, it almost always settles them back down. I had trouble believing this would work on my 2005 Ford exotic car, but I tried it.

BAM! All gauges instantly come to life and started reading correctly. Yes, I know -- bad ground is the fairly obvious cause in both cases. But while I expect it (and plenty of other electrical gremlins) on my old Mopar, I was surprised this happened on the GT. The good news is that I flipped the headlights back off after 10 seconds or so and the gauges continued to work fine for the last 43 miles of my 47-mile commute (which took over an hour and covered pretty much every driving condition). I haven't driven the car since, but I'll be watching my gauges more closely than usual next time I do.

Anyone else ever have this problem, or just heard of someone having it?

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Karl,

That happens to me from time to time but only with the gas gauge. I usually turn the car off and then back on and it reads accurately. Hope to see you tomorrow for the Rally to SB. PM me or call me if you can. Talk to you later,

Tim
P.S. Thanks for that disc you gave me in Detroit. We Love it.

kageno

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2006
Kenmore WA
I had the same problem on and off with my 2005 until the dealership changed the battery.

H

HHGT

Gas Gauge..

My 7 year old son helped me gas the car. After I buckled him in, I forgot to close the gas lid and took off. I noticed that the gas gauge read "E" and then glanced at the fender and guess what, it was open...DAHHHH..

I pulled over, shut off the engine, closed the gas lid and restarted the car. Gauge showed full... No problems since..

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Speedo pegged when I put the car in reverse...

Strange one happened to me yesterday. When I came to a stop to back up in the driveway - the speedometer bounced all the way up to 160Mph twice.

Battery? every other guage was OK...

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I had a dead battery a week ago...
(due to not driving but having an ipod plugged in, so my fault no the GT's)
Jump started it and none of my gauges worked. My service guy is great, called him on a Saturday, on his Cell phone, at home and asked about it.
He said it was common when the battery is not fully charged, and that it should start working after the battery gets fully charged. As soon as I shut down and started up again everything was fine.

So, you could have easily had a less than perfect charge that caused the issue but allowed the car to start, after a bit of driving to fully charge, it may have come back up.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
If all your gauges continue to go dead there is a module under the dash that will need to be changed.

Don't ever let anyone take individual gauges out of your dash.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me after I installed my Accufab pipe. In addition to all the gauges not working, the drivers side window was sluggish. The car ran fine. I drove for about 5 minutes and then shut down the car. After shutting down and restarting everything worked fine.

I have no clue why this happened. The only electrical object we touched during the install was the brake light connector on the clamshell.

Eric

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
When we were in Detroit one of the guys said Austin Martin was consulted about the wiring on the GT because they had more experiance with cars that did not use steel frames.
basicly I would look at the ground circuits.

2005gt

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
My gas gauge has always read empty right after filling up. Then after I turn the engine off and on againm the gauge is normal (until I fill up again). I never bothered to have it fixed, was waiting for someone to post a message saying what the exact problem is.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Same thing happened to me when the car was new. The dealer was told by Ford that if there is a low voltage problem (my battery was damaged by the dealer over charging it) the gauges will do that. He installed a new battery and the problem has not come back.