Gasoline odor

gtracer

GT Owner
Oct 13, 2006
Homer Glen, IL.
I notice well stopped in heavy traffic yesterday, that there seemed to be a gasoline odor in the car. I had the vent fan about 3/4 full and the vents set midway between the upper and lower vents. It seems that when i went to full upper vent setting, that the odor went away. This has happened on several ocassions. Any comments? Thanks

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006
Had same issue when I top off the tank(blower need not be on).

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think if the tank is full to the brim, it will smell a little. Does in mine after a fill.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Absolutely right Neil. It's REALLY noticeable when you have filled the tank with Stabil, then fill 'er to the brim! Get a pretty nice high out of it though :wink

rmartin175

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 15, 2006
Delaplane, Virginia
I have recently noticed the same issue. Actually, after much inspection, I found that the fuel line into the fuel racks is only a pressure fitting. If you look at the front of the engine, just under the spindle for the blower, that there is a black fuel line (about 3/4" dia) that runs to the two fuel rack fittings on each side of the block. On my car, I noticed that the fuel was ever-so-slowly bubbling out of the hose at the fuel block on the passenger side of the engine block. Not too much, but enough to cause the odor and standing fuel on/around the fuel rack engine block. Since this is a potentially catastrophic issue with fuel leaking on a hot engine block, I did not want to risk a fire so I installed hose clamps on both of the hoses. May not be "stock" but it solves the problem!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Be careful gtracer, while everyone is correct, the GT will smell of gas after a fill up; I caught a nasty fuel line leak by noticing the smell in my garage. So check your fuel rails and make sure there isn't any gas around them.

rmartin175

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 15, 2006
Delaplane, Virginia
Interesting. I will try to take a photo and post it. We may experienced a similar issue... I wonder if anyone else has same problem. As most of us don't use our cars frequently, there could be an issue with the hoses "drying out" - wouldn't take much for a leak to occur. How drastic was your leak? You imply it was pretty bad. My leak hadn't gotten that bad, but they only get worse, never better.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
rmartin175 said:
Since this is a potentially catastrophic issue with fuel leaking on a hot engine block, I did not want to risk a fire so I installed hose clamps on both of the hoses. May not be "stock" but it solves the problem!

I told the folks up at the dealership the same thing. They ordered two fuel injectors first. Then we discovered (they discovered, I had told them it was on the rail) that the rail was leaking around the hose. I told them to put clamps on it but they ordered a new rail system (you have to order both rails at the same time with the connecting hose attached; one part number). The first rail system came in damaged so I waited another week for the second rail system that has some bad weld lines on it. They installed the rail anyway to get em rolling but we are waiting on the third rail system to come in, hopefully it will look cleaner. Quite a saga, especially sense a .50 cent clamp would have solved the problem (and I am going to put the clamp on there anyway.)

The tech at the dealership told me that he knows the injectors were leaking too. I am inclined to believe him, I know it's naïve but I have some faith in my dealership.

rmartin175

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 15, 2006
Delaplane, Virginia
Thanks for the additional information. 'preciate it.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
I had the exact same problem with my car. I smelled some fuel and found a fuel leak (dripping) from where the black hose meets the rail. Very surprised to find this on a production car with less than 1k miles. ALL....This is a serious issue. Fuel leaking in the engine compartment while driving can lead to fire or not enough fuel getting to the engine (lean out and engine failure). Neither one of these is gone. Between this and the halfshaft bolt failure, both issues that FORD seems to know about yet will do nothing, I feel like some folks have ticking time bombs and don't even know it. Let's keep in mind that most people drive their cars very little so many of these problems may take time to show.....

gtracer

GT Owner
Oct 13, 2006
Homer Glen, IL.
thanks for the informative replies. I'm going to print them out as reference They'll be a big help when i visit the dealer.