Garage Safety

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Ok gang how are you keeping your car safe in the garage? I have been advised to get one of those bubbles that you drive the car into and a fan keeps it inflated. I have kids and ugh-->kid bikes in the garage (danger Will Robinson"). :wink

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Put the kids up for adoption, or sell the bikes, or park em someplace else. A lift to get the car in the air would also work well.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I put in a parking lift.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Lift

I just ordered a lift today. Have to double stack these days. Will be handy for changing oil too. :lol

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Beach GT - do you have details on the lift? I have the same problem and the other option is to build another 3 car garage but by the time I finish planning it will be more than lilley a 4 car. Don't think my homewoners association will approve........

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
The capsule works fine when the lift is full. Lets folks look but not touch. The 18 ft capsule takes the GT with room to spare.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
why would you put the car in the 'bubble'?

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Time capsule

Hermetically sealed (ie. kid proof)..... Until they try to use it as a trampoline

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
One of my daughters at age 18 months, emulated us washing our new S-class Mercedes by her "polishing" it with a granite rock. She just thought that she was helping.

It is a treasured memory; the car is long ago traded, and that daughter is now 16 and a great young woman. She knows that tale of what occurred as do many of the neighbors.

A car is a fairly meaningless object. But children are your life. And I would much rather the kids run their bikes into the GT than some fool do so at an intersection or in a parking lot.

I feel more at risk by that idiot in back of me trying to photograph the car with his damned cell phone.

That said, kids can learn very early to be responsible for, and protectant of, everything from pets to household belongings to each other. It is part of their learning to be a responsible member of their society.

If your GT is as important to your kids as it is to you (and they should think of it as their own...not "Daddy's car" but "our GT"), then they will insure that no one harms it. A child should be able to do this before age three.

There are other and more functional reasons to protect the car while in the garage: dust, moisture, heat, cold etc. In rearing kids, the car is one of the lesser concerns.

- doc

Last edited:

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Lift

MAD IN NC said:
Beach GT - do you have details on the lift? I have the same problem and the other option is to build another 3 car garage but by the time I finish planning it will be more than lilley a 4 car. Don't think my homewoners association will approve........

I studied lifts and finally decided on the BendPak HD9ST. It is fairly heavy duty compared to the parking versions, The GT will fit nicely and it will fit in my garage area well. I bought the rolling jack as well for service work. I think if you look at the 8 or so manufacturer's offerings, BendPak is right up at the top. The 12,000 LB model is nice too if you have a little more space and make a pre-ramp to get the GT's nose into it. I have two two car garages. One is airconditioned and a machine shop so I am putting this in it to keep my two toys cool. I have the ceiling height to put the GT all the way up and park under it. My garage doors are commecial rolling type. You have to consider all of these things when choosing a lift. :biggrin BTW I'm paying $4200 to have it delivered and installed. Includes the Rolling Jack and the expandable bottle jack tray so I can set things on it like a bottle jack or oil drain pan. Note also that some of the parking lift units only offer scissor jacks units so you kind of get what you payfor. You will also need 220V power and 100psi air to operate the better units. It's usually against my religon to have things installed for me but I'm short on time and don't have a fork lift, so I had to wuss out this time. :bored

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Fortunately my children are kept out of my garage and away from the cars - that way there are no arguments...!

The airchamber will work well and keep the car in perfect storage, however they're a bit of a drama to get the car in and out of - particularly with the GT that needs a wide door opening.

There are two types of 'bubble' one is a zip up bag that then inflates, the other rigid....

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I studied lifts and finally decided on the BendPak HD9ST. It is fairly heavy duty compared to the parking versions, The GT will fit nicely and it will fit in my garage area well. I bought the rolling jack as well for service work.

Beach, I'm now looking at the HD9ST. I have a 69 Mach1 that will be stroked and repainted coming in around X-mas. Now I need to see if I can get the Mach 1 and GT stacked in a typical three car garage.... I'll drive the GT more I feel (just love it) so unfortunately the Mustangs will be on top.

Now I need to find a "loca" Bendpak dealer to do the work. Good forbid I crush a car!

bugsy

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2006
garage safety

GTx, I purchased two traffic barricades from lab safety supply (www.LSS.com) which are heavy duty plastic, 8' long with two slats, for $368 plus shipping. They work great and are easy to move. For added safety I put the cardboard shipping box between the slats. The only negative is the garage looks like a construction site, but who cares.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
MAD IN NC said:
I studied lifts and finally decided on the BendPak HD9ST. It is fairly heavy duty compared to the parking versions, The GT will fit nicely and it will fit in my garage area well. I bought the rolling jack as well for service work.

Beach, I'm now looking at the HD9ST. I have a 69 Mach1 that will be stroked and repainted coming in around X-mas. Now I need to see if I can get the Mach 1 and GT stacked in a typical three car garage.... I'll drive the GT more I feel (just love it) so unfortunately the Mustangs will be on top.

Now I need to find a "loca" Bendpak dealer to do the work. Good forbid I crush a car!

I had a 69 Mach1 428 CJ and swapped a tired 390 into it. Hope you didn't get it. The CJ went in my 67 GT with a crane cam. 0-100 in a tad over 7 seconds. Wish I still had the car. My current GT has a turbo 5 liter. 0-100 6 seconds. I still miss the sound and ground shake of the 428.

My ceiling height is 11 feet so I can stack the GT and Mustang up or down ok. :biggrin

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
answer

GTx said:
Ok gang how are you keeping your car safe in the garage?

U.S.M.C. Armed guards!!!! :banana :banana :banana :banana

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have a mean lesbian pit bull that has aids...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
just installed the ultimate auto protection system...

http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com/4qt.htm :banana