Garage 4 Post Car Lifts

69RS/SS

Dec 20, 2009
I live in the Chicago area and this spring will be building a new 4 car garage and installing a 4 post car lift. At some point in 2010 I will also be looking to purchase a GT to add to what I already have.

I am looking at a Bend Pak HD-9 as my choice of lifts. I do not know EXACTLY how much width the GT takes up from one real wheel to the other but the HD-9 has runways that are adjustable with low approach ramps to accomodate the low 5" clearance of the GT.

If any of you could shed light on this lift or other equipment that you might be using I would appreciate your input. I am not a mechanic just a do it yourselfer and an enthusiast so my needs are not all that great.

I sure am looking forward to the completion of this small project by the middle of June so that I can seek out the GT that I will be looking for!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
According to the spec sheet:

Rear track = 63.7"

Front track = 63.0"

Wheelbase = 106.7"

TOTAL WIDTH = *76.9"*

* For some reason I seem to remember my FGT measured slightly more than that "mirror tip to mirror tip" when I measured it. :shrug

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have a HD-9 wide version, with the ramps set at the wide setting the car fits really nice (about 4" extra room on each side of the rear tires). The narrow version may work as well if you don't have the space but the mirrors may be very close to the posts.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I too have the Bendpak (pretty sure MAD in NC recommended it to me). Mine is also the wide version, but the tracks are set at the skinny size. (that way my Lotus and my 911 also fit). The GT's tires are right at the edge, but no big deal. And there's LOTS of room to the outside of the ramps (so tires and mirrors get through the uprights easily). It's really easy to move the ramp to the wider setting, so if you wanted to swap it up, it's simple. Guess it depends if your GT is the only car going on it or not. But I'd get the wide one either way if you've got the room.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The wide setting allows better access to the underside of the car and belly pans when servicing.

I would think that a 911 would fit, but the Lotus may have the tires hanging off on little on the insides of the ramps set wide.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
The wide setting allows better access to the underside of the car and belly pans when servicing.

I would think that a 911 would fit, but the Lotus may have the tires hanging off on little on the insides of the ramps set wide.

Servicing. Absolutely right!! MUCH easier. My Lotus is an Esprit, so it's wide. The front of the 911 is the issue on the wide ramps setting. The rears are fine as it's the turbo, but wow, that front is barely on at wide ramp size!!! :willy

But you're right, for servicing and taking off the pans and changing oil etc for the GT, definitely the wide setting!!! :thumbsup

:cheers

69RS/SS

Dec 20, 2009
Thanks alot for the replies. They are very helpful. When you say the wide setting, as I look at the specs on the lift, that would put about 44 inches between the runways. The runways are 19 inches each so the total would be 78 inches.

As I look at the specs for the HD-9, its maxiumum width between columns is 116 3/4 inches which gives alot of room between the mirrors which I really like.

Does that sound about right?

PS. I wish I were like all of you because you already have yours set up and a GT to go along with it!! I have some work to do but I guess good things can wait a little bit yet.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Note that on the wide setting with the wide hd9 the ramp spacing isn't symmetrical, but offset from the center.

69RS/SS

Dec 20, 2009
To be sure that I understand you correctly when you say not symmetrical would that be because the power side ramp is in a fixed location and that only the opposite runway can be adjusted?

Also, just so I can be sure, are the dimensions I stated at 116 3/4 wide the same as the one you have? And, is the maxiumum wide of about 44 inches also the same as yours?

The last thing I want to do is make any stupid mistakes. The HD-9 in the current Bend Pak catelog is a 9000 pound capacity and I do not see one listed that is identified as an extra wide nor do I see one (other than multiple car hoists) that is really any wider?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Gimme a moment. I'll run out and snap a couple of pics for you. That should make it clearer.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's a few shots. 1st one shows the left ramp with the side to side clearance for the posts as set on 'skinny'. At this setting, the clearance is the same on the left and right. You can also the bolt holes for the ramp and that's where the ramp would be if it was moved to the wide setting.

The second shows the overall width of the ramp with the cars on it.

The third is a gratuituous shot of my cars with the covers off :biggrin

Attachments

• _3751.jpg
    _3751.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 636
  • _3753.jpg
    _3753.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 633
  • _3648.jpg
    _3648.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 632

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
FYI, If you end up buying this lift and plan on using the "wide" setting don't get the drip pans!!!! The pans ONLY fit between the ramps when set on the "skinny" location. I made this mistake!!!

John

69RS/SS

Dec 20, 2009
Really appreciate the effort. I have to sign off for a couple hours but I look forward to checking back!

69RS/SS

Dec 20, 2009
Thanks for the pictures! Very talented of you to be able to do that at the drop of a pin. I would be totally clueless as to how to do that. Computer illiterate I am.

Really looks great all the way around!! Your rides are way too awesome!! I only wish it was spring time here and that I was moving forward.

Just one thing, I would be a little nervous with that ladder where it is and would say OMG if that ladder fell down for one reason for another. But, I know you are way to careful for that and that there are not any other people around it to mess you up.

I am glad to see that you do not have to have the setting all the way out for the GT. I have 2 other cars that are not that wide so this whole package looks to be very accomdative and user friendly.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
No problem on the pics.

Heh heh, the ladder's not permanent. It's braced between the wall of the garage and the lift when it's there, so no issues at all. Can't touch a car. But it was only there so I could get the cover off.

And yes, like MAD IN NC suggested when he TOLD :wink me to get this one, it's quite a bargain. The right price and the right product for us! Plus it's already Ford Blue!! :thumbsup

69RS/SS

Dec 20, 2009
standj

Thanks for the headsup on the drip pans.

One more question do either of you happen to have the optional jacks to lift/remove tires & wheels? I do seem to like the idea of them.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I just finished installing a Bend Pak HD9ST. Big mistake on my part. I went with the ST to try and save some space since in the other oversized double stall I have a 2 post Rotary. Well I started to pull in the Testarossa and my son gave me the big stop sign. I thought he was mistaken but I got out and realize the rear tires would not pass by the support piece on the lift. So now I am going to have to make some custom accessories to go over them. Measure twice and cut once.

John

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here's a few shots. 1st one shows the left ramp with the side to side clearance for the posts as set on 'skinny'. At this setting, the clearance is the same on the left and right. You can also the bolt holes for the ramp and that's where the ramp would be if it was moved to the wide setting.

The second shows the overall width of the ramp with the cars on it.

The third is a gratuituous shot of my cars with the covers off :biggrin

Just "for info"; I noticed you occasionally(?!) prop a ladder against the 'ramp to access the door of the car on top? :ack:ack:ack May I suggest that's a disaster waiting to happen as far as the car BELOW is concerned (unless the ladder's "feet" are resting against the adjacent wall...and even then...)?

I designed & installed a bracket cut from a sheet of 1/4 inch aluminum that bolts to the top rung of wunna my ladders ('runs the full width of the top of the ladder) which then spans the full width of the ramp, and is then bent DOWN 90* so it hooks over the "inside" edge of the ramp. That way the darn ladder CANNOT shift positions or fall under ANY circumstances. PERIOD. 'An ounce of prevention and all that...

'Submitted for your musing...

Paranoid Pockets

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
standj

Thanks for the headsup on the drip pans.

One more question do either of you happen to have the optional jacks to lift/remove tires & wheels? I do seem to like the idea of them.

I have 2 "rolling" jacks RJ45 on my lift. A great addition!

Note the history on the evolution of these jacks in not encouraging. The 1st version had real ball bearing rollers. The 2nd version (I own) has rollers without bearings, that spun on a shaft. The 3rd (current) version has NO ROLLERS at all, but a nylon type sliding material and is now MADE IN CHINA! :ack :thumbsdow

You can buy a off brand sliding jack from China a much better price than a Bendpak. It is too bad they kept lessening the quality of the jacks while calling it the same model.

69RS/SS

Dec 20, 2009
JCSB, really hated to hear your story and hope that you are able to make the necessary corrections without too much trouble. Your Son deserves plenty of kudos for watching out for you.