Funny story about Ford GT40 and Ferrari

FFCobra

GT Owner
Jul 2, 2006
GA
We went to a small car show this evening. There were about 10 Ferrari's, 6 Ford GT's, and several other cool cars.

My 2 year old son was walking around with his grandma. She would ask him questions about the cars and he would say, "That's a Ferrari" or "that's a Ford GT", etc. He knows his cars pretty well.

As they were walking by a Ford Mustang GT500 grandma said, "See the horse on the grill? That is a Ford Mustang." Will turned to his grandma with an angry look and said loudly, "NO, IT'S A FERRARI". Then he pointed to the back of a Ferrari F355 and showed his grandma the Prancing Horse.

Will was pretty upset that his grandma didn't know that only Ferrari's had horses on them.

After we left it got me to thinking about the horse on the front of a Mustang and the Ferrari horse. Did Ford put the horse on the front of the Mustang to piss off Enzo Ferrari? Or was it just a coincidence that Ford named their new car "Mustang" a year after Enzo Ferrari ticked off Henry Ford II?

We all know the story. Henry Ford II had wanted a Ford at Le Mans since the early 1960s.

In the spring of 1963, Ford reportedly received word through a European intermediary that Enzo Ferrari was interested in selling to Ford Motor Company. Ford reportedly spent several million dollars in an audit of Ferrari factory assets and in legal negotiations, only to have Enzo Ferrari unilaterally cut off talks at a late stage. Ferrari, many commentators have surmised, got right to the point of signing the deal and realized he simply could not let go of the entity that carried his name.

Henry Ford II, enraged, directed his racing division to find a company that could build a Ferrari-beater on the world endurance-racing circuit. This was the birth of the Ford GT40. Ford contracted with Lola to further develop the Lola Mk6 into a car that could beat the Ferrari's at Le Mans and the Ford GT40 was born.

If Ford did use the horse on the grill to tick off Enzo, that was pretty clever.

- Bill

Kingveloce

GT Owner
May 14, 2006
London, England
Bill

You could confuse your son even more by pointing out that the badge on a Porsche also has a prancing horse: it's the emblem of Stuttgart, Porsche's home town.

images-1.jpg

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Great Story, I wish my 5 year old was so into cars, all I get is I want to go home after 30 minutes at a car show!!!

H

HHGT

I am friends with the late son of Robert Rhode who use to work with the Shelby team back in the 60s. He told me a similar story, except, that once Iacoca decided on building the Mustang somewhere in the very early 60s, Ford had also decided on a whole series of cars with the Horse as its centerpiece. Mustang, Pinto, Maverick etc..

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Great Story, I wish my 5 year old was so into cars, all I get is I want to go home after 30 minutes at a car show!!!

if you want your son to become interested in cars one day when youre driving with him put him on your lap and give him the steering wheel, hold the steering wheel from the bottom where he cant see so he will think he is control, my dad used to do this with me from time to time and I must say I became car crazy the minute I put my hands on the steering wheel:biggrin I was 5 years old. of course now a days some people would say thats too dangerous, you know what I say to them,.... well in the spritit of being polite I wont share that..... (but you can guess:biggrin)you do this and he will be hooked for life I promise. you just have to make sure if you want him to be car crazy like the rest of us which could have its owm problems.:cheers