Fueling tip

clements

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I have already replaced the fuel flapper in my gal damaged by a previous owner but I still have problems. G T guys did the work so I believe flapper is properly installed. Yesterday I was struggling to get the car fueled without damaging the flapper again when I tried something different. I pushed the flapper fully open with my finger and it temporarily stayed open. The nozzle went in easily, fueling was completed and the flapper popped back in place. Don't know if it will work for anyone else but you might try it if you are having problems.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I wish mine would stay open but really it's not suposed to do that.
There is a spring on the flapper door that keeps it closed and sealed off for emitions. You may be on the brink of another failure if yours will stay open.
FYI there is going to be a permanent fix for this in the near future, It's in the R&D stage right now so treat yours with kid gloves for a while longer.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Ive just been pushing it open with a finger and inserting the nozzle with the other hand. Pops back shut when I pull it out. Working well.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
What can one do if the flapper breaks during fueling ? :confused

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I pushed the flapper fully open with my finger and it temporarily stayed open.

Basically, this is the same as gently inserting a PLASTIC funnel that's had the edge around it's spout rounded smooth with sandpaper.

But, obviously, neither trick ought to be necessary.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sam, please tell me that didnt happen to you! If it does happen, your car will soon start throwing fault codes and you may experience intermittent stalling when feul tank ~3/4.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I placed a post a couple of months ago on a related issue - for a couple of tankfuls, my car was stalling a lot, although no codes were showing. Poking my finger onto the flap solved everything! I'm convinced the flap can mis-align just enough to create a poor seal and thus 'confuse' the black boxes. I always poke the flap with my finger now after re-fuleing and no more stalling problems. Sounds like I need a poke before and after filling (this sounds somehow rude doesn't it?). Maybe Kip Ewing can make us all a set of carbon-fiber finger protectors!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
For all the newbies, please be careful,sometimes you think you fixed the flap but it isnt. Once you FILL the car, the computer DOES NOT RUN THE FUEL/EMMISSION CYCLE TILL 1/4 TANK IS GONE.........PLease remeber that so if your tank is full or you never use it, the code will not pop up or the stall, till it reads the cycle. Again, you can cheat and always keep the tank full, once the code is cleared it will not appear till it cycles once its down a 1/4. Been there, done that and my little guys was a kid in the passenger seat in a 4 way intersection and a 18 wheeler crossing your path.... not fun if you stall, very dangerous....old posts on the whole deal........be careful...gtjoey1314

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
No didn't happen to me, I'm just preparing myself should something like that happen at a fueling stop. But I am more concerned about the little round "flipper" breaking when inserting the fuel nozzle, can you still start the car and go about your day until a repair is scheduled ?

Sam, please tell me that didnt happen to you! If it does happen, your car will soon start throwing fault codes and you may experience intermittent stalling when feul tank ~3/4.