Fuel Filler Neck Replaced- and it wasn't cracked

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Had trouble from the first day I bought my blue/white in filling it up with gas. Constantly clicked off. Then, when I had the occasional engine dying as I pulled up to a light, I searched on this great forum and found the answer. I had bad vacum, caused by a problem in the fuel filler neck. Since I smelled gas inside the car after fillup, I also assumed I had a cracked neck. That wasn't the case when Middlekauf Ford looked in to the problem. Ended up being the inner flap on the neck was broken off, and about 1/3 of the way down the filler tube, blocking the fuel. That also allowed the fumes to come back out the neck. They attempted the non-fender removal, but ended up removing it, and I picked it up today. They kept me informed when they had to order the neck, but got it in the next day, which was quick in my book. They looked in to a couple of other question marks we had, and all is well, including the half-shaft stuff. I would recommend Middlekauf to all GT owners in the area, and talk to Dave Johnson or Dusty, who will take great care of you. Put it in Monday at 3pm and picked it up on Friday at 3pm, very quick for what they did. Now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can get it out tomorrow.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The owner, Rick Middlekauf, owns a GT, black I believe. He hosted the GT Guys last fall and I'd have to say he was a very nice guy. If I lived closer I'd definitely use him for service.

So does the smell of gas after you fill up mean there's a problem? It happened to me for the first time on my last fillup. The car runs fine and the smell went away in the first few miles.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Rick is class act. The service department has always given my GT the "white glove" treatment.

I usually smell gas after a fill-up. I just assumed it was because the air intake for the car was up near the windshield. I little spillage can cause a big stink. It never lasts long and I am usually to high on gas fumes to be concerned about it :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hello!
Glad your issues have been solved. Also, great to hear about the "good guy" dealers. My car runs great, but at fill up I also have a fuel smell.
God Bless America,
daniel

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I thought it was jus me after a fillup.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
I thought it was jus me after a fillup.

I never "overfill". When it clicks I stop. Still have the same isssue.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
First time I filled up that happened. The next fill-up I took 4-5 paper towels from the windshield cleaning dispenser at the pump and positioned them so that when I was done filling the tank I quickly slid the towels under the nozzle as I pull it out so that not even a drop spills. Filled the tank up many times since then and have never smelled even a hint of gas fumes in the car.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was done filling the tank I quickly slid the towels under the nozzle as I pull it out so that not even a drop spills.

'Zactly what I do. 'Always have. 'Never had a pblm with 'fumes...except once when I got a case of "old-itus" and slopped some gas B4 I "came to the party". THAT was stooopid.:thumbsdow :bored

dikran

GT Owner
Aug 11, 2006
Birmingham, MI
The fumes get into my car after every fill-up. I'll try the paper towel trick. Unfortunately, my GT is still dormant for another week, so it'll have to wait until then. I hate to bring her out too early. I'll have the GT Guys take a look when I meet with them next month.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
First time I filled up that happened. The next fill-up I took 4-5 paper towels from the windshield cleaning dispenser at the pump and positioned them so that when I was done filling the tank I quickly slid the towels under the nozzle as I pull it out so that not even a drop spills. Filled the tank up many times since then and have never smelled even a hint of gas fumes in the car.

Thanks, I will give that a shot.