Fuel Filler Gasket

NY 05 GT 40

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2007
FYI.......I was at Pocono Race Track when a torrential rain came down. My car started running like xhit and I realized I got some water in the tank. Needless to say I was a bit upset. Visited my dealer, looked at the parts diagram and realized there is a rubber gasket that is supposed to go on the fuel filler door to prevent water from leaking in the tank. I bought it for ten bucks and installed it. Of all the GT's I have scene, only one other car had the gasket and it's a must have part they forgot to install on almost every car.
Good Luck and get your gasket..

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Do you have a part number for this? I don't have a gasket on my door.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Do you have a part number for this? I don't have a gasket on my door.
+1

hmg_57

GT Owner
May 6, 2007
+2

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
+3
Do you have a picture?

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Interesting. I also do not have a seal. And I got caught in a rain storm the day before my engine started acting up-see "Gotta Problem" in this section. Drove the car today with less than a 1/4 tank of gas and she ran perfectly. Water from the rain leaking in the gas filler area may have been the problem. Would be great to have the seal part no.!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
+4
My DVD manual is in Italy having a vacation with Stefan,... so any info would be very helpful..... HELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STEFAN!:biggrin

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
+5

No Gasket on mine either.

Need part number, PLEASE.

Thanks,

Fred

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
+6 I having no stinking gasket either......

Franky must as all he does is drive in the rain he says :rofl

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Part #5G7Z-278A02-AA. This was discussed in an old thread I believe "gas door" or some such title.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Can someone please post a picture of where this gasket is located and what it looks like? Or the manual section or page would do as well.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Part #5G7Z-278A02-AA. This was discussed in an old thread I believe "gas door" or some such title.
Thanks SM!:thumbsup
Here's an older thread http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4154&highlight=fuel+filler

Last edited:

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY

But it looks like the wind up of that thread was that there was NO gasket intended for under the filler door. I see numerous requests for photo(s) of this gasket but no pictures or even diagrams. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. So is this, or is this not, a part we need to order for our GTs? :confused

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
As many times as I've been caught in the rain, no problems. Seems to me the old threads said there was no such thing. I would think that washing your car might produce the same thing.

Aug 25, 2006
FYI

I ordered the seal per the part number shared and once received tomorrow I will post pictures and share my opinion on whether viable or puposely left out.

All the best

Shadowman

PNicholson

Hey there,

Get me a FAX number and I can send you a FAX picture of the gasket location. The gasket goes right below the filler door.

Thanks

Page

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hey there,

Get me a FAX number and I can send you a FAX picture of the gasket location. The gasket goes right below the filler door.

Thanks

Page

559 432 5524

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Hey there,

Thanks

Page

Hey, I asked first :wink 5857872066
PS Can we order this from you?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Just curious, if the gas inlet is supposed to be sealed. How does water get in there?.

Wouldn't one also have the dreaded fuel filler seal issue, crazy idle and Check engine light. Maybe I am missing something here.

The gasket does sound like a good idea as it would keep water from puddling on top of the flapper.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
815-625-0535 Thanks Frank