Fuel filler Flappe valve

richardson221

GT Owner
Jun 2, 2007
I have a flap valve that has dislodged and causes fuel to back up when refueling. Takes a long time to fill car as fuel kicks back and shuts nozel. I had read that someone was able to repair the valve rather replace the expensive unit. Could that person please respond and advise how to make the repair.
Thanks
Mike

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Hey, I just met the CEO of the company that developed the GT fuel system. Send me your broken part, they want to look at it. Keith

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
You think they could send him a replacement part to put in the car while they assess the failure? The removal and replacement of that part is quite extensive.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Unless they have redesigned it, there is a chance of it happening again.

Mike, if you still want info on repairing it, shoot me a PM with your e-mail.

There is a way to secure it better to minimize it happening again down the road.

Jeff

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
I'll be seeing him again on Monday....

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Please keep us posted, I suspect by know he must have heard about the weakness in that design, I hold my breath every time I fill up.

richardson221

GT Owner
Jun 2, 2007
Can't figure how to get it out yet. Looks like whole system has to come out

richardson221

GT Owner
Jun 2, 2007
I am told by some ford people that this is a common problem in many ford products, although the replacement to those is not as extensive as the GT

richardson221

GT Owner
Jun 2, 2007
Jeff,
My email is "jbmr2@att.net". Appreciate the help. Any suggestions how to get the unit out?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I have a flap valve that has dislodged and causes fuel to back up when refueling. Takes a long time to fill car as fuel kicks back and shuts nozel. I had read that someone was able to repair the valve rather replace the expensive unit. Could that person please respond and advise how to make the repair.
Thanks
Mike

Is your car a low mileage? just wondering if this issue is driven by repetitive fuel filling over time or something that can break at any time.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Jeff,
My email is "jbmr2@att.net". Appreciate the help. Any suggestions how to get the unit out?

Mike, the thread referenced above is very helpful on getting the fuel neck out.

E-mail on the way with additional info.

Jeff

richardson221

GT Owner
Jun 2, 2007
Keith,
Have you met with CEO of company that designed GT fuel system as yet? It clearly is a design problem. The fuel nozzel hitting the flappe and dislodging it. I am working on Ford to replace system, will adviser results.
Mike