Fuel Delivery Module(fuel pumps, sender and pressure sensor)

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I came across 2 Ford tools to remove unit from tank, 310-065 and 310-075. Are either of these correct? If not I'll get rid of them.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Dang. Ford says its Rotunda # 310-123

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We have done many fuel pump replacements - never have needed a tool. I'd be surprise if any of the tools would actually work because the access hole is offset rather significantly from the retaining ring. A flat blade screwdriver and some gentle tapping works fine, IMHO.

Reactions: Nafod and GT@50

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Screwdriver/FDM retainer removal tool/prybar, 1/2 ratchet/hammer. I love multi use tools.
Have you ever seen a bad sending unit?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Have you ever seen a bad sending unit?
Never. You do know it's nothing like a traditional sending unit, right? There are no moving parts to wear out. What are the symptoms?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Never. You do know it's nothing like a traditional sending unit, right? There are no moving parts to wear out. What are the symptoms?
Gauge is stuck at low. He said a Ford tech diagnosed a bad sender. I told him I'd have to verify before pulling it because I suspect it's a gauge issue. Easy enough to check at the connector in passenger footwell. At least that's where the drawings look like it's at. He already installed Speedhuts but maybe there's a bad connection back there. I'll get it in next dry day around here(WA).

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Kendall, is the fuel sender a capacitive sensing unit?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
It's 3 wires so I'm guessing it's a hall effect sensor. That said, it would have a moving part, the float. Also aligns with what GT101 said about a piece that fell off in the tank and bound it up. Is the disc the float, or rotated by a float?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It's sonar if I'm not mistaken. There's no float.

Reactions: GT@50

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
My fuel gauge is stuck at 3/4. I just keep track of how far I can safely go on the trip odometer. I did goof once and filled it with a little over 16 gals. I did not run out, but the check gauge light did come on. I did not know why it came on, since all gauges looked good, except the stuck fuel gauge at 3/4. When I filled it with 16+ gal, I assumed the check gauge light was due to low fuel. So I assume the tank sensor is working fine.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
It's sonar if I'm not mistaken. There's no float.
That sounds likely. A Hall effect sensor would require rapid movement between parts. That's why it works as a timing position sensor on a flywheel or in a distributor.

Reactions: GT@50

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
My fuel gauge is stuck at 3/4. I just keep track of how far I can safely go on the trip odometer. I did goof once and filled it with a little over 16 gals. I did not run out, but the check gauge light did come on. I did not know why it came on, since all gauges looked good, except the stuck fuel gauge at 3/4. When I filled it with 16+ gal, I assumed the check gauge light was due to low fuel. So I assume the tank sensor is working fine.
Yep, a bad gauge. The gauge control module is getting the correct signal from the sending unit but the gauge is physically unable to represent the value. Simply replace the fuel gauge with the identical (looking) gauge from Autometer. I may have one in stock... lemme know if you want me to go gauge hunting through my move boxes.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
What is the disc? Any pics of the assembly?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Replace all the other small gauges with the updated autometer replacements while you are there. Especially if you doing the job yourself. Removing the dash faceplate is tricky if you have not done it before! See elaborate posts elsewhere on how to do it!!

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Replace all the other small gauges with the updated autometer replacements while you are there. Especially if you doing the job yourself. Removing the dash faceplate is tricky if you have not done it before! See elaborate posts elsewhere on how to do it!!
He said they're all Speedhuts already. He's going to wait until Spring to resolve this. I'll post remedy when we do.