front grill?

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
can anyone tell me why some cars had a front grill (in front of radiator) and some didn't? I just drove my GT 600 miles through the desert and had the most amazing array of bugs stuck in my radiator. Would love to not have to deal with that cleanup again if possible. Any thoughts?

thanks alot

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
can anyone tell me why some cars had a front grill (in front of radiator) and some didn't? I just drove my GT 600 miles through the desert and had the most amazing array of bugs stuck in my radiator. Would love to not have to deal with that cleanup again if possible. Any thoughts?

thanks alot

The early 05's did late 05 and 06's the mesh was removed for increased cooling capacity

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The early 05's did late 05 and 06's the mesh was removed for increased cooling capacity

+1, but most 05 cars had it. Seems that only the very late ones did not. Also, seems to be the only difference between 05 and 06 that you can see by looking closely at the car....

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
+1, but most 05 cars had it. Seems that only the very late ones did not. Also, seems to be the only difference between 05 and 06 that you can see by looking closely at the car....

My car was a September 05 build no mesh. That is the only exact reference point I have

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Somelee, my '05 1297, built May '05 has the grill, but my Speedlingerie front bra has a great mesh screen for the radiator and fake brake ducts. The bugs in the Midwest are horrible, especially at night, and the bra and screen are great. Also stops bouncing gravel. I think the screen is no longer available, and if it needs replacement, you have to convert to an '06 front. I think Tim Cantwell invented some kind of screen for his cars. You might PM him. Frank

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
05/06 grill

there were a series of posts early on.

Most '05's had the mesh grill set up. The 06's had an open "three" bar grill.

The change was made to improve airflow for cooling. :confused

I was fortunate to purchase an mesh grill right after I bought my '06. As somelee found out, it is a real b*tch to clean the bugs outta the rad's.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
bugs are a b#tch but you should see our GT after 4 hours of racing, stones, rubber,other car parts etc:lol:rofl
Neil NZ05GT

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
can the mesh grill be ordered from ford and put on the later cars?

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Nope. I don't believe you can get the part anymore and it wouldn't be an easy retro as the whole front end would have to come off

Ahh come on Shelby if the clamshell is open you can see other differences :)

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Hmmm. Removable stainless mesh screen. Any GT entrepreneurs interested?

Howard

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Hmmm. Removable stainless mesh screen. Any GT entrepreneurs interested?

Howard

I would, I drive my car often, and bugs in the radiator have been a problem.

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Anybody have a 05 grille they took out?? I have the 06 piece, but my car came with the grille and I would like to put it back.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
05 #1469 has the grill which IMO looks far better than no grill. The Speedlingerie mask is the answer for bugs, stones, etc.

H

HHGT

Why not go to an upholstery shop and have them make a custom made screen that has a wire for a rigid frame. You could ask them to sew some velcro strips where the vertical ribs are and put it on and take it off as necessary.

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
thanks guys....I just decided to get a speedlingerie bra for long "buggy" trips. Hopefully its not too much of a pain to take on and off. A custom screen/grill might be a fun project for the future though.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
front screen - Shadowman project?

Lots of previous posts on the subject - do a search for more info. I took it off my '05 1313 for better cooling. A lot of work to take it off. Read the posts on it. Not available as a part from Ford.

Some race car sites have neat wire mesh available that can be used. Attach it via rivets to a custom made aluminum frame that can be bolted in (or zip tied). I bet Shadowman could come up with a really cool item better than the OEM one that would blend in with the GT lie it was made for it!!!

Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I bet Shadowman could come up with a really cool item better than the OEM one that would blend in with the GT lie it was made for it!!!

Ed

+1

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have the Speed Lingerie bra and the grill. I recommend both.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Front grille

We have been working on a OE appearance front grille with the same material that was on the early 05' cars. This piece will be able to bolt on from the front of the fascia without removing the existing one. This way just as requested it can be taken on and off easily at will. We should have our first one ready in a few weeks.

Rich

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
sorry to derail.... Yea!! Bony got a new avatar!! :eek

Can't...

Stop....

starring....

must goto...