Four post Lift

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Aresco lifts in Pontiac, MI

Andy -

Do yourself a favor and call Steve White at Aresco in Pontiac (877-227-3726). He handles several brands of lifts, and will install at your location. When I bought my lift, I had to borrow an open car trailer to pick it up at the trucking terminal by Detroit Metro (it probably would have FIT into my enclosed trailer, but loading it into an enclosed trailer would have been a nightmare). I had a few friends over to put it together, which only cost me a 12 pak, but I was a lot younger then, and I wouldn't want to tackle that job myself again.

IMG_7107 (Large).jpgDSCN2214 (Large).jpgIMG_7305 (Large).jpg2012-07-28 20.41.16 (Large).jpg

When I moved from Michigan, I had Aresco come out and dismantle my lift, transport it to my friend Bob Lewis's garage, and reassemble it. The two burly dudes from Aresco took apart and reassembled that lift in less time than it took my three buddies and I to put it together initially - and - I didn't have a sore back when they were done :rofl

You might also want to contact Bob - he has three different styles/sizes of lifts in his garage - I'm pretty sure he'd let you bring the GT over for a test fit.

regards,

Jeff

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
food for thought - Bendpak ships to freight forward'er (ie Conway etc.). No charge. From there I contracted a flat bed tow truck for $100 to pick up and drop of in driveway.....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I ordered it. Without casters, because I can add them myself later if needed. Free shipping to a local installer, so I don't have to do anything. Pics in a few weeks. :)

P.S. Red powder coat (the fastest) is $125 extra.

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I would order the casters. They are made especially to fit this lift with special brackets that pin to the posts and are very handy to have. Not made like regular casters. I have them on my Directlift and I use them every so often. You can't move the lift without them. Even when building the lift, you need them.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Cobra Jeff and others...
Jeff - I took your advice about 1 year ago, called Steve at ARESCO, bought the lift, had it delivered to my garage and his two delivery guys installed it into the new bay of my garage.. !!

It is all installed and working fine for over a year.
--2005 T-Bird on the lift
--1991 Mercedes SL 300 under the TBird
--2006 Ford GT next to Mercedes
--2011 Mustang Shelby GT next to GT
--2010 Harley Ultra Classic
Thanks for all your advice.

AJB (andy)

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I finally ordered mine. Bendpak HD-9XW-M Extra Tall Four Post in RED with casters, one scissor jack and utility workstation. Should be here in about a week.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
You can see my double wide BendPak lift in my avatar. I can't stress strongly enough how a knowledgeable installer is a must. The "Garage Company" that did all the alterations in my garage (raise the ceiling, proper door opener, lights, floor, heat, A/C, cabinets, etc, subcontracted with a guy who was supposedly a 5 star "installer" with BendPak. When the lift got "hung up", and almost dumped my GT.....................need I say disaster. They had to replace some parts, but I hired another 5 star installer, had to pay his travel miles ($150 just for time/mileage), he came up with a entire list of problems, from missing fittings, to never having been lubricated. I called my GC, he claimed that you can always find someone to talk "smack" about another's work. I invited him to have anyone he chose, to come and reinspect the lift. He came with a different installer than had done the work, his "new installer" verified every problem that my "inspector" had found. They spent another couple of grand on parts (had to replace other damaged parts that they tried to skimp by without, after the "incident", which they also tried to blame on "operator error"). They apologized to me, made it all "right", but just goes to show you, that even the "5 Star" rated installers, aren't infallible. Be very careful, our cars are quite valuable, and getting more so daily. Unless you really know what you're doing, spend the money, get it installed properly, and adjusted properly, otherwise the money you save............................................

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I would order the casters. They are made especially to fit this lift with special brackets that pin to the posts and are very handy to have. Not made like regular casters. I have them on my Directlift and I use them every so often. You can't move the lift without them. Even when building the lift, you need them.

ok...done. Thank you.

Re: 5 star installers. Not sure how to deal with this, except ask BendPak if they have had any issues. I don't know if they would tell me anyway.

I had my garage door tracks raised, jack screw opener, new spring and new cables installed by the biggest garage door company in Florida. The installer said he had 23 years experience. A week later, the door went into free-fall while closing. Bent the crap out of the bottom door panel. The cable had slipped through the crimped fastener. It wasn't crimped properly and there was no safety end on the cable. The installer actually blamed the guy in his company who makes the cables. I asked, "Isn't it your job to inspect the parts you are installing?" Blank stare.

Last edited:

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
how often do you guys have your lifts inspected? both of mine are 2 years old now and are being inspected this month. just curious.

blackjadeboss

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2012
Inspected by whom?

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
how often do you guys have your lifts inspected? both of mine are 2 years old now and are being inspected this month. just curious.
Annually

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada

are yours personnel or commercial use? i fully understand annual for commercial.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
are yours personnel or commercial use? i fully understand annual for commercial.
Strictly personal, safety first!!!!

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Strictly personal, safety first!!!!
sound advice and is why i am having mine done.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I have had 2 for over 6 years; sold one last summer what I moved into a bigger garage - and kept one. Have never had them inspected once. They always lock on the track and that's all I care about. I check them to see that the locks are intact; that's about all. I have taken them apart and put them back together 2-3 times. The way they're constructed, it seems redundant to pay some Joe to come here to check what I already know.

For something to go wrong and a car to not lock in place, or a lift to fall over, they would have to fail at at many different levels, something I do not believe will happen.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I paid to have it installed by Bendpak. Not real happy seeing them trying to install a wrong sized nut from their toolbox instead of one from the package. Many months later I had one of the pins holding a pulley work loose! My FGT was lowering on only 3 corners the cable was binding! :ack

I had to raise and lower the car to massage the pin back in. :ack

No matter who installs it, IMO it is best to check the thing yourself.

I went all out and got 2 RJ45. Love how easy it is to get all 4 corners off of the ramps.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
One of my thought/concerns. if anything was to happen, and it was not inspected, the insurance co might/could use that against the claim. Maybe I am way out there, but for only a hundred bucks it makes me sleep better at night.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I have had 2 for over 6 years; sold one last summer what I moved into a bigger garage - and kept one. Have never had them inspected once. They always lock on the track and that's all I care about. I check them to see that the locks are intact; that's about all. I have taken them apart and put them back together 2-3 times. The way they're constructed, it seems redundant to pay some Joe to come here to check what I already know.

For something to go wrong and a car to not lock in place, or a lift to fall over, they would have to fail at at many different levels, something I do not believe will happen.
Sounds like you're "knowledgeable", but me, not so. There are a number of "adjustments" that should be done. The cables will give a certain amount. Each column has an adjustment, there are a number of lube/grease fittings, etc. I feel better having them checked. Yes, you can hear the locks banging in "unison", and that's the way it's supposed to be. You can visually "inspect" them, but there might be some slight "wear patterns", that a trained eye could recognize as an "early problem", that I'd be absolutely clueless about. Cheap insurance, and peace of mind, I'll pay for.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Who does the inspection? Is there a "certified lift inspector?" EDIT: Yes, apparently, there is. http://www.bendpak.com/support/lift-inspection-program/ Although, a commercial lift is going to have thousands of times the annual usage as a home lift. I'm going to ask BendPak.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Who does the inspection? Is there a "certified lift inspector?" EDIT: Yes, apparently, there is. http://www.bendpak.com/support/lift-inspection-program/ Although, a commercial lift is going to have thousands of times the annual usage as a home lift. I'm going to ask BendPak.

A commercial lift may be considered as an "elevator" which would then fall under state regulations and inspection criteria. This would depend upon state definitions and regulations.