Ford unveils Mustang GT3 at Le Mans

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
  • Ford Mustang officially joins FIA GT3 category with new Mustang Dark Horse-based race car, set to compete globally starting in 2024
  • Mustang GT3 boasts bold, exciting new race livery and Ford Performance logo from renowned motorsports designer Troy Lee
  • Ford Performance extends relationship with longtime partners Multimatic and M-Sport to produce the Mustang GT3 and its Coyote-based V8 engine
  • Proton Competition becomes the first customer team to officially declare their intent for a Mustang entry in the 2024 World Endurance Championship season and the 2024 24 Hours of Le Mans
LE MANS, France, June 9, 2023 – The best-known sports car will compete in the world’s most iconic endurance race as the Ford Mustang GT3 takes on the challenge of the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June 2024.

The Mustang GT3 race car, based on the all-new 2024 Mustang Dark Horse, was unveiled to the racing world today during the centenary celebration on the eve of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The Mustang race car boasts a bold, colorful new look from Troy Lee, who is recognized as one of the premier motorsports designers in the world. The legendary Mustang GT3 represents Lee’s first foray with Ford race cars.

With the reveal, Ford officially enters Mustang into the global FIA GT3 category. Ford’s most recent triumph at the 24 Hours of Le Mans was in 2016 with the Ford GT.

“Ford and Le Mans are bound together by history. And now we’re coming back to the most dramatic, most rewarding and most important race in the world. It is not Ford versus Ferrari anymore. It is Ford versus everyone. Going back to Le Mans is the beginning of building a global motorsports business with Mustang, just like we are doing with Bronco and Raptor off-road.”
-Jim Farley, Ford Motor Company CEO

Fresh Branding, New Logo

To coincide with the unveiling, Ford also is revealing new, global Ford Performance branding – a cleaner, simplified look that will now be featured on all its racing vehicles.

wd230524_01054-jpg.68111

This expressive and engaging new identity will help position Ford Performance as a standout lifestyle brand with a sporting mindset. The new Ford Performance mark is easier to integrate across various environments and spaces, including car liveries, merchandise/apparel, display assets, parts/accessories and in advertising.

Continuing Relationships with Two Longtime Partners

Ford Performance extended its relationship with two longtime partners in Multimatic and M-Sport for the basis of this project. Multimatic, builders of the iconic Ford GT, were also involved in the Ford GT race program and will help build and support the Mustang GT3s, while longtime World Rally Championship partner and two-time championship winning team M-Sport will assemble the Ford Performance-developed 5.4-liter Coyote-based V8 engines that power this powerful new pony.

WD230524_01106.jpg

“For a project like the Mustang GT3, we turned to two of our most trusted partners in the motorsports world to help bring this vehicle and program together,” said Mark Rushbrook, Global Director, Ford Performance Motorsports. “I know we’ll all be as thrilled as Ford fans when Mustang begins racing at the highest levels of GT racing in 2024.”

The Mustang GT3 race car features a bespoke short-long arm suspension, rear-mounted transaxle gearbox, carbon fiber body panels, as well as a unique aero package developed to meet GT3 targets.

Proton Competition Becomes First WEC Customer Team for Mustang GT3

Before going to Le Mans in 2024, the Mustang GT3 will compete in various GT3 series across the globe in the hands of customer teams.

The first customer team, announced today, is Proton Competition. Based in Ehingen, Germany, Proton intends to campaign a pair of Mustang GT3s in the FIA World Endurance Championship, starting in 2024.*

WD230524_00452.jpg

“This is a very important program and an exciting moment for our organization,” said Proton Competition team principal Christian Ried. “The Mustang is a great brand and this is an important step for our team. We look forward to joining with Ford starting in 2024.”

Ford Performance will also field a two-car factory race program with Mustang GT3 in IMSA’s GTD Pro class. This will be managed by Multimatic Motorsports and begin at the 2024 Rolex 24 at Daytona.

For racers and teams interested in acquiring a Mustang GT3 to enter into competition, please visit https://www.ford.com/performance/mustang-gt3

*Subject to decision of the WEC Selection Committee

Attachments

• WD230524_01054.jpg
    WD230524_01054.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 392

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
002_DG_Mustang_LeMans.jpg008_DG_Mustang_LeMans.jpg018_DG_Mustang_LeMans.jpgWD230524_01095.jpgWD230524_01137.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Can’t wait to see it driven in anger. Any word on any stateside customer teams?

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I'm at Le Mans at the moment and saw the unveiling - it looks good in the flesh too.
Nice to see the Ford marque stepping into GT3 which I expect to be an increasingly competitive format.

rnkma4

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2014
Santa Clarita
Street legal version?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Street legal version?
The press release says it's based on the Dark Horse.

Love that paint job

Reactions: Stef

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
Nice car but still feels like Ford sending the little brother into the fight rather than the big brother GT. I do like Mr. Farley's comment "Ford vs. everyone". Meanwhile the nascar camaro is setting great lap times in the garage 56 car. Until next year, pulling for the USA bowtie against everyone else. If that thing can hold together it will be a big deal.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Have been waiting for the expo. No disappointment.

Reactions: Vince H

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Excellent!
And backed by MM!
Winning combo!

Reactions: Vince H

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
This is refreshing news.
The livery in these pictures has the Wynn/Keating GT vibe kinda going.
Street version would be sweet!
All I have been hearing lately is what the General is up to and Garage 56.
I wish them best of luck but bowties are not my cup of tea.
Quess I will root for the Cadillac for the overall.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
All I want to know is how do I get one? I've been on the Ford Performance website, I've been asking my Ford dealership and I can't seem to get any info on how to get a Dark Horse S or R or on of the GT3's to take to my track. I've got my BOSS 302S but I'd love to add this car to my collection of "well used" cars.

Anyone able help me with my "problems"?

QSS

Reactions: Nafod

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

GT3 car is pretty wild overkill for a track day car and I'm sure people that will race them in all the various series GT3 works for will get them first. Usually GT3 hardware is $500-600k, so $$$. I'd be surprised if it's less than $450k.

Reactions: Vince H and GTMD

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
All I want to know is how do I get one? I've been on the Ford Performance website, I've been asking my Ford dealership and I can't seem to get any info on how to get a Dark Horse S or R or on of the GT3's to take to my track. I've got my BOSS 302S but I'd love to add this car to my collection of "well used" cars.

Anyone able help me with my "problems"?

QSS

If you look at the Ford press release and follow the links, it says to contact Multimatic:

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
"number of cars you require*"
Well, there's 7 days in a week. Duh.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada

GT3 car is pretty wild overkill for a track day car and I'm sure people that will race them in all the various series GT3 works for will get them first. Usually GT3 hardware is $500-600k, so $$$. I'd be surprised if it's less than $450k.
Thank you for the link. You're right, $450k would be overkill for a track day car but I'm going to fill out the form anyway. I was more interested in a Dark Horse S or R but getting any info on that car is like pulling teeth. Maybe I just need to be a bit more patient and recognize the fact that information on the Darkhorse S/R is forth coming.

QSS

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
"number of cars you require*"
Well, there's 7 days in a week. Duh.
I like your thinking.

QSS

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State

GT3 car is pretty wild overkill for a track day car....

Sez the guy who has a Mk2 for a track day car. ;)

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
I've got a 2018 GT4 mustang and it is a lot of fun at track days. I need allot more experience in driving this type car. A street mustang slides and moves around and I feel comfortable doing that but for some reason the GT4 has a much different feel. Just starting my second year of tracking it, made lots of changes over the winter to replenish the car back to as built specs, the brakes are my biggest hangup. More time. I guess what I am saying is look for a used GT4 which will be coming up when the new car comes out and they are safe, fast and fun for a track day car at half the cost.

Attachments

• thumbnail__WIP7695.jpg
    thumbnail__WIP7695.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 14

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Will there be a different homologated track focused street car based on the GT3 or another iteration of the Shelby mustang?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Will there be a different homologated track focused street car based on the GT3 or another iteration of the Shelby mustang?
Dark Horse Mustang.