Ford to buy Tesla???

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
"Unconfirmed Rumors that Ford Motor Co. (F) will acquire Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) at $55.00 a share..Neither company could be reached for comment.(TSLA),(F)."

What do you think about the chance of Tesla making itself profitable in the next 5 years?

Thinking of picking up a few shares of TSLA. Thoughts?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I think this would be a huge mistake for Ford.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I think this would be a huge mistake for Ford.

Maybe not. R&D is rarely a profit center. As it already is up and running and has some (grant) funding, it could be a path to accelerate product and market position. On a related note, I expect KERS technology will be an important feature on F cars in the future. Might be away to get a leg up/quickly in that area.

.....AND If it includes the original rights to the invention of the radio (not Marconi). :biggrin

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
Probably a smart move. Tesla has done most of the R & D and have a vehicle on the road that gets over 200 miles a charge. Ford can buy this technology and eventually get an economical four door on the road within 5 years. Hopefully we will wake up in this country and build some nuke power plants. It will be cheaper energy than oil, we will be producing it, and we wont be transferring as much of our wealth to our middle eastern enemies.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Tesla probably started that rumor. It's 100% bullshit.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
:cool

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Damn. I was headed over to HomeDepot to pick up some extension cords when I read your message.

Realistically, there are some potential benefits other than R&D to this transaction. e.g. Honda who recently benefited purchased about $12M in zero emission credits from Tesla.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

+1

They sell Aston Martin and Volvo and buy Tesla?

I think they are focusing 100% on their core products.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Bloomberg reported rumor 11/19, Ford promptly denied it.

Ford Denies Report It Is Seeking to Acquire Tesla Motors
By Keith Naughton - Nov 19, 2010 1:45 PM CT Ford Motor Co. has no plans to acquire Tesla Motors Inc., Ford said.

“Contrary to a report today, we are not considering acquiring Tesla Motors,” John Stoll, a spokesman, said in an e-mailed statement. “Ford has an aggressive electrification plan, which includes bringing five new electrified vehicles to North America by 2012 and Europe by 2013.‬It starts with the Transit Connect Electric this year, the Focus Electric next year and a plug-in hybrid and two next-generation hybrids in 2012.”

Benzinga, a website, cited “unconfirmed rumors” that Ford would buy Tesla in a report today.

To contact the reporter on this story: Keith Naughton in Detroit at knaughton3@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Jamie Butters at jbutters@bloomberg.net

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Ford response to Tesla rumor:

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages/FordRespondstoTeslaRumors.aspx

But it was engaging there for awhile.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Come on guys. That is a crazed thought.

Ford has had all the R and D on electric vehicles for many many years. They had a fleet of electric vans in the early 90's. There were hundreds of them tooling around in UPS livery.

They could be offering the volt right now if they chose too. Electrics just won't provide the ROI unless they can be sold in volumes. And the masses just are not ready.

Who the hell wants to drive a electric golf cart/car anyhow. I can't stand it when I get behind one of those Prius/smart/civic/ idiot's, in the fast lane going up a big grade and dropping speed like they have the brake on.

Ford seems to have a better plan just drive a SHO.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
A client took me around the corner in one. Impressive, but more like a novelty. Can't imagine buying one unless I was born 200 years from now.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Can't imagine buying one unless I was born 200 years from now.

b2f_delorean_color.jpg

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Exactly.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I have a luncheon with Alan Mulally on Dec 15th. I will ask him.
Andy (AJB)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Andy (AJB)

..and if it was true, you would get a no comment. So lack of an answer is an answer. How does the SEC handle that?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
..and if it was true, you would get a no comment. So lack of an answer is an answer. How does the SEC handle that?

JMI : I wouldn't believe Ford would buy Tesla but I do wish they would have bought Ricardo who does a lot of R&D for Tesla and for Ford on the Ford GT transaxle. If Ford does build an electric supercar. I can see another major relationship with Ricardo.

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Andy (AJB)

Please PM me with the answer so I can sell my Ford stock if it is true. Also, give Alan my cell number so I can talk him out of it. Ford is running smooth right now......If it ain't broke don't fix it. Ford doesn't need the R&D Tesla has......especialy if they have to buy it. I think Ford has plenty of R&D available within.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

I've watched him navigate for a few years around Detroit, he's a very savvy guy. With a smile, the question/topic redirected to one of Ford electric product, and thus, never asked.