Ford rules out future LMP1 program

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/ford-rules-out-future-lmp1-program/

Ford has ruled out a future move to the LMP1 class, while discounting any future prototype program unless it has a practical use to its production and race car technologies.

The American manufacturer, which enters the first of a planned two-year factory program with the Ford GT, has been in the center of the rumor mill about a potential top-level prototype effort once the GT program concludes.

However, Ford Performance boss Dave Perciak has downplayed such hopes, in an interview during last weekend’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season-opening Rolex 24 at Daytona.

“If we had unlimited funds, it would be great to go out there and play around in the sandbox and do some technologies that are just out there. But that’s not what we’re about,” Perciak told Sportscar365.

continued....

Not a surprise. LMP1 is awesome, but doesn't have the crossover utility that GT class racing does.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, highly specialized vehicles with a trend towards high performance hybrid (like the Porsche 918). Not a market that Ford probably wants to develop for the consumer market (yet).

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
The GT already ticks all the correct boxes. No need to get ridiculous. Leave that to the Germans.

Vince H

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Sounds like the right move... concentrate on the new GT and win the GTLM class

LOVE CHP

GT Owner
May 30, 2007
Central Calif.
If Ford indicated that they were interested, that would be all the media would talk about! They are correct in totally supporting the new GT now.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/ford-rules-out-future-lmp1-program/

Not a surprise. LMP1 is awesome, but doesn't have the crossover utility that GT class racing does.

At least, not in this country!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Still trying to explain the rationale for the various classes in endurance racing to those following the new Ford GT. It doesn't translate well to the average audience that follow US Motorsports.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Agree with Cobrar above.

I'm in the below average audience but learning.

Lotsa classes, I'm sure there are reasons.

Probably related to $ somehow.

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
Agree with Cobrar above.

I'm in the below average audience but learning.

Lotsa classes, I'm sure there are reasons.

Probably related to $ somehow.

I would guess that it is really 100% related to money.

Developing and running a competitive LMP1 in today's world would probably cost 10X what it's costing Ford to do the GT. Plus the car would have nowhere to run in the US, except the one-off event at COTA in September.