Ford related must do's in Detroit?

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Gentlemen,

If you had only one day in the Detroit area, what would you do (Ford related)? I figured this would be the best place to ask for any recommendations on factory tours, etc. The only other weekend I spent in Detroit was playing the Tigers in 2010, so I didn't get to see anything outside of downtown. Much appreciated.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I would visit Greenfield Village, it's like time travel and beautiful. Not totally Ford related, but not totally unrelated either. Ford museum is also nice.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The Henry Ford (museum) for sure.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The Henry ford complex is the no brainier. There is the museum, greenfield village, and the rouge F150 factory tour all in one area. Then dinner at vinsetta's garage out on Woodward.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
The Henry ford complex is the no brainier. There is the museum, greenfield village, and the rouge F150 factory tour all in one area. Then dinner at vinsetta's garage out on Woodward.

Nailed it.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Do the Ford Factory tour also. Originates at The Henry Ford Museum
.ajb (andy)

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Also depends on when you are in the Detroit area. lots of cool car shows and especially Ford related shows. The Roush museum and store are always nice to visit. call ahead to make sure they have staff on hand for a tour. they are in Livonia, MI right down the street from me. Also a visit to the Henry Ford Fairlane mansion is always fun as well. (I think it's still open) check their website http://www.fairlanefolkfest.org/

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Yes to this. By far some the best memories from Rally 10.

Vince H

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca

totally agree...

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will be seeing as much of the Henry Ford complex as time allows on Monday. Can't wait!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Don't bypass the F150 plant tour. It starts with a multimedia presentation on the F-150 that is the best audio-video-interactive experience I've ever had. I'd go again just for that.

Pantera1889

Dec 24, 2006
Hampstead,Md
The Henry Ford is incredible! The best IMHO is the Roush museum . So many cool test mules and race cars and it's so low key that you feel like you are seeing something that you shouldn't be allowed to see! ;-) . Also RCR ( Race Car Replicas) in Frasier will absolutely blow you away!!! Just the vintage European race bikes and race cars that he ( Fran Hall) has in the showroom is well worth the trip. And that's before you see the 30k/sq.ft factory! ( Take a look at the pictures of the Robertson Racing Ford GT from the 2011 LeMans race and notice the yellow/black RCR stickers on the rockers) That will give you an small idea of the scope of the projects that RCR is involved in.