Ford Racing Rear Exit Headers Installed

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Well, I guess fate is fate. After spending a few hours scouring the Internet on Friday for price and availability of the Ford Racing Rear Exit Header/Exhaust, I found one IN STOCK less than 5 miles from my work. Everywhere else seems to have a 3-6 week order time. I got mine from Muscle Motors (Jack) in Canoga Park. As has been mentioned on this forum before, Jack is a GREAT guy and very knowledgeable with the GT and the products he sells. Most of all, Jack has struck me as a very easy guy to work with and who also has a lot of integrity. He's done several exhaust installs and has a Heritage in his shop right now.

I started the install Friday evening and finished yesterday (Saturday) afternoon. This is a relatively involved job but it is not THAT difficult. There's a lot to take off including all of the old manifolds, cats, (duh!) half-shafts, starter, etc. The quality of the exhaust and components is amazingly good. The cast header flange is particularly nice, looking very strong with really no reasonable chance or warping.

OK, for the benefit of others contemplating this and maybe other alternatives, let's talk about the sound. (I'm sorry, but an audio clip would have no way of letting you experience what this exhaust is and isn't, IMO.)

All of you know that at start-up the GT makes a bit of an RPM lunge before settling into an idle. This lunge with the new exhaust will wake the neighbors up if you tend to venture out too early in the morning! That aside, let's talk about the good (quiet) attributes. The exhaust will idle very nicely. Both deeper and louder than stock, but very reasonable. Also, the car will stead-state cruise relatively quietly. You can even climb small grades using very incremental depressions of the "go pedal". All this is good and makes the car very "live-able" from this perspective.

In between these "states", it is a different story. The exhaust can be VERY LOUD when accelerating. Quick accelerations will cause a sound that is directly comparable to completely open headers. This is no exaggeration. In fact, from 1/2 throttle on, I'd say this was on-par if not louder than a completely open exhaust. That said, unlike the stock car where you really have to work at making it emit a growly sound, with this system you REALLY have to work at keeping it quiet. The good news is that it CAN be done. If you are very carefully and accelerate like there's a raw egg between your foot and the go pedal, I'm sure you can pass right by a cop without drawing suspicion. But, it is hard to do and it takes practice! (Hard = 10% physical skill and 90% mental adjustment.)

Perhaps the best attribute of the exhaust is the burble and subtle popping of the exhaust under deceleration. It sounds GREAT. Also, a throttle blip in the middle of a 3-2 downshift approaching a stop is very, very nice. The GT revs instantaneously (and loudly) and then settles into the burble as you bring the clutch out in 2nd. Very, very nice. No more sneaking up in a line of cars at a traffic light. If you blip down and decelerate, everyone around will know you are there. If you don't like this, I would suggest clutch-in for the last 100' and you just might sneak up undiscovered.... until the light turns green.

This exhaust is NOT for the feint of heart. Frankly, time will tell if I decide to keep it. It is definitely a whole different driving experience. I am admittedly an individual who will prefer (tolerate) the car on the loud side, and this one's definitely there. Make no mistake, however, in that I think the car will steady-state cruise just fine without droning. Frankly, I need to get a little more seat time to stand behind this statement, but I think it is the case.

Most of all this exhaust says, "I am a race car and I am a little out of place on the street."

Some words about weight savings in the next post....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ford Racing Rear Exit Headers Weight Savings:

Note: All weights were obtained using a better-quality digital bathroom scale. I assume that accuracy is probably within 1.0- 1.5lbs.

Stock Muffler: 55 lbs.
Stock Cats(Both): 29 lbs.
Stock Cast Manifolds (Both): 25 lbs.

Total stock exhaust weight: 109 lbs.

Ford Racing Rear Exit Headers/mufflers: 39 lbs. (complete)

Total weight savings: 70 lbs.

Also, note that the heaviest stock component is the muffler. In addition to its massive weight (stike one), is that it sits very high in the car (strike two), and, finally, as has been noted here, it blocks a substantial amount of airflow (strike three).

The Rear Exit Header System, by contrast, is not only much lighter, but the weight is also lower. The header tubes pass UNDER the halfshafts and then the collector mufflers are almost at the same height. There is now literally nothing behind the airbox. No more heat soak. Good-bye 70 lbs!

lemans

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2006
can you send me some pictures?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Here's some pics. Lemans, let me know if you're looking for something you don't see here and I'll get it to you.

If you remove the small valence above the bumper (as shown) you can get the muffler out and headers in with no need to remove the clam shell.

CIMG0916.JPG

You can see the half-shafts disconnected. Per the advice of Muscle Motors, I also removed the starter to make it easier to get the stock manifolds out.

CIMG0917.JPG

Here's the new "mufflers in place. Note that the weight of the exhaust in addition to being substantially lighter is carried lower.

CIMG0924.JPG

CIMG0934.JPG

CIMG0935.JPG

CIMG0939.JPG

CIMG0938.JPG

CIMG0947.JPG

CIMG0931.JPG

CIMG0932.JPG

CIMG0933.JPG

CIMG0949.JPG

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Not sure abut this one, so thought I'd ask this knowlegable group.

Do the CATs act as any type of baffle? Question would be if you could run tubing from the cats to the outlets and bypass the muffler, would it be the same as straight through or would there be some deadening / quieting from the CATs?

Would this be similiar to the IDA economy system that says it does not include baffles?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Cats do some sound attenuation. When I took the cats off of another car, the sound was much loader. How much I cannot say, but it would be quieter than a strait exhaust.

BlackICE

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
not4re, It looks like a nice clean installation. Do you plan on swapping out the FRPP parts with the Cats when it is time to Smog the car, or is it a track only car in the future?

CRaig

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
If the cats are left on the car and the muffler bypassed, similar to the infamous "Ida" exhaust, the sound is amazingly not loud, and good.

Accufab is working on a new exhaust that replaces the muffler and exits out the standard exhaust opening in the muffler. I heard the exhaust and it sounded fantastic. Not to loud but with a noticeable increase in "growl"

Anyway, the car can be without the stock muffler, using only the cats for sound deading and it sounds great.

Is there any hp increase with the Ford exhaust mentioned above?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Do you plan on swapping out the FRPP parts with the Cats when it is time to Smog the car, or is it a track only car in the future?

Craig, unfortunately there is no option/room for the cats with the headers in place. The only way that I can think of to get smog lega with this set-up is to switch completely back to stock manifolds, cats, and muffler. A lot of work. But, in California a new car does not need to have its first smog test until it is six years old. I figure that after six years I'll forget how much labor went in on Saturday!

BTW, the same is also true of Ford's long tube headers which are designed to work with the stock muffler. They too are too long and don't offer an option for cat placement.

Is there any hp increase with the Ford exhaust mentioned above?

'cuda, I doubt there is much if you don't do a tune to take advantage of it. As I mentioned, I have one such tune that I got from Muscle Motors. However, I really need to find a chance to put mine on the dyno and tune it individually.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Thanks for the info. Even if the system doesn't add more hp, the weight savings is substantial.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
nota4re said:
Craig, unfortunately there is no option/room for the cats with the headers in place. The only way that I can think of to get smog lega with this set-up is to switch completely back to stock manifolds, cats, and muffler. A lot of work. But, in California a new car does not need to have its first smog test until it is six years old. I figure that after six years I'll forget how much labor went in on Saturday!

BTW, the same is also true of Ford's long tube headers which are designed to work with the stock muffler. They too are too long and don't offer an option for cat placement.

'cuda, I doubt there is much if you don't do a tune to take advantage of it. As I mentioned, I have one such tune that I got from Muscle Motors. However, I really need to find a chance to put mine on the dyno and tune it individually.

Here in Fresno we have CHP-DMV doing rolling dyno smog checks on the street. If you come accross one after removing the smong gear get ready to write a big check. Great installation and post, but sadly not for me.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Shopping for fine noise

californiacuda said:
If the cats are left on the car and the muffler bypassed, similar to the infamous "Ida" exhaust, the sound is amazingly not loud, and good.

Accufab is working on a new exhaust that replaces the muffler and exits out the standard exhaust opening in the muffler. I heard the exhaust and it sounded fantastic. Not to loud but with a noticeable increase in "growl"

Anyway, the car can be without the stock muffler, using only the cats for sound deading and it sounds great.

blackice said:
Cats do some sound attenuation. When I took the cats off of another car, the sound was much loader. How much I cannot say, but it would be quieter than a strait exhaust.

Thanks guys.

Does seem then that may be a good option to try.

Interested to see if the IDA economy or Accufab system does that. Would be nice to leave the CATs in place so we don't have to screw with the car for emmissions stuff. :ack I think I only can get up to two years before a test.

I'd like a better sound as I think a number of others would. Heard the Borla, but that was not the right one for me. I listened to two GTs leaving - the Borla was louder, but thought the sound was not as good - just sounded like a LOUDER car. The stock exhaust sounded more like muffled POWER - more powerful than the Borla. Of course, they both sound good. They really need to be side by side.

it's like shooping for fine wine - opps, I mean fine noise :biggrin .

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
bony said:
Here in Fresno we have CHP-DMV doing rolling dyno smog checks on the street. If you come accross one after removing the smong gear get ready to write a big check.

We had (haven't seen one for a while) the same thing in Phoenix - "smog dogs.". They would sit at freeway on ramps and check emmissions as cars when by and identify the vehicle. Boy, it that modern technology or what? :thumbsdow

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Thanks for the post. The Heritage at Muscle Motors is mine. They are doing damn near everything to it, including the rear exit header exhaust you describe here. Sounds exactly like what I wanted in sound. I really appreciate the full explanation of your thoughts, it helps. Can't wait to get mine finished. Only thing I decided to do differently is have it Jet-Hot coated to keep the heat in the pipes out the back and improve the looks a little. David.

lemans

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2006
nota4re

thank you they look great, I am finishing my gtx exhaust this week, hope it sounds as good as it looks :thumbsup

yimn

GT Owner
Dec 12, 2005
Nota4re,

I am waiting for the rear exit hearder. Can you also share with us how you resolve the engine warning light after you took off the CAT (i.e. o2 sensors)? Secondly, did you remap the ECU and does that car run a lot cooler with the new exhaust?

thanks

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I am waiting for the rear exit hearder. Can you also share with us how you resolve the engine warning light after you took off the CAT (i.e. o2 sensors)? Secondly, did you remap the ECU and does that car run a lot cooler with the new exhaust?

It seems to run cooler but I don't yet have enough time in the same conditions. It was very warm this weekend and the temp gauge was never North of 200 in traffic and it seemed that it would easily go there (220+) before.

For info on what I did for engine management and discussion of that topic, please use this thread SCT Engine Management .

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Gulf GT said:
Sounds exactly like what I wanted in sound. I really appreciate the full explanation of your thoughts, it helps. Can't wait to get mine finished.
David,

I think this might be even a bit more than you want. But let-s see. I think it is incredibly loud, and hard to cruise politically correct. It's pretty much 'in youe face' !
I think a little less is more.. And I drive my F360CS with the exhaust valves permanently opened, so definitely not a sound virgin :biggrin !

Stefan

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I sold my 360CS a few months ago, and I never thought it was loud. I too had the vacuum hoses disconnected to leave the valves open. It was a nice medium sound, but never too loud. We'll see what I think with this exhaust on my GT next week. I've seen a lots of posts on the subject of the exhaust being too loud from some knowledgeable owners. This post by nota4re seems to be an excellent description. No right or wrong ideas about the loudness (unless you drive through Fresno), just how you like it. I personally don't like to stab the heck out of it just to hear a little noise, and spend very little actual time at high velocity when driving down PCH (want to keep my license to drive it). Liked the previous "aircraft carrier" description too, just so long as it isn't like that all the time. Here in Southern California, I hear Harleys coming a mile off nearly everyday.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Gulf GT said:
Thanks for the post. The Heritage at Muscle Motors is mine. They are doing damn near everything to it, including the rear exit header exhaust you describe here. Sounds exactly like what I wanted in sound. I really appreciate the full explanation of your thoughts, it helps. Can't wait to get mine finished. Only thing I decided to do differently is have it Jet-Hot coated to keep the heat in the pipes out the back and improve the looks a little. David.

Dave, I have been using Jet Hot on some of my projects for awhile. It is a great product!
Bring that thing by my shop next week when done I can't wait to hear and see it.
Steve