Ford Racing Muffler

tom46818

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2012
Overland Park, KS
I am interested in purchasing a Ford Racing Muffler. Can you still purchase one?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Contact Jack at MMP

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It comes with ear plugs!

Ed

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Summit Racing still lists it on their site $2645.97, so there maybe a few still around

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If not from ford racing I thought borla still made them but without the ford logo

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
If not from ford racing I thought borla still made them but without the ford logo

Yes. And second the suggestion to contact Jack at Muscle Motors.
And I believe he may have some of the Ford stamped versions still available.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yes they do, but it isn't a normally stocked item.

Ear plugs aren't needed, this isn't the rear exit headers (LOUD) but the muffler. I have one connected to FRPP cat deletes. It sound about right to my ears, or what's left of them.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think the frpp muffler is too loud. It's not loud enough for me. I'll be switching to a xpipe over the winter

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I had the FRPP on my first car, I did like the nice rich baritone, but after the season, I'm going to have Rich and Denis put on their exhaust. It weighs much less, but more importantly, I think it will lower the temperature significantly under the clamshell!!!

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Ear plugs aren't needed, this isn't the rear exit headers (LOUD) but the muffler. I have one connected to FRPP cat deletes. It sound about right to my ears, or what's left of them.

BlackICE,
How you get around CARB.. Is there a annual back to stock day or does your tune not look at the rear O2 and pass ? Do you not get a CEL?
Does anyone use a Sim for the rear O2 sensor?

I have the same setup I got from Jack years ago, but haven't used it due to our annual check.

Thanks,
Bruce

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
BlackICE,
How you get around CARB.. Is there a annual back to stock day or does your tune not look at the rear O2 and pass ? Do you not get a CEL?
Does anyone use a Sim for the rear O2 sensor?

I have the same setup I got from Jack years ago, but haven't used it due to our annual check.

Thanks,
Bruce
I'll send you a PM. Can't say here, the NSA is listening. :briggrin

tom46818

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2012
Overland Park, KS
I contacted Jack at MMP, he is hooking me up!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sounds like you already bought it, but these come up from time to time on eBay. I was the only bidder on a used one with 5k miles. Got it for $1,400. To my ear, it is plenty loud at WOT, but otherwise not at all anti-social. It does, however, have a buzz at around 2k rpm when hot. No drone though. Despite the ad claims, you won't notice any power increase, but it's a nice weight decrease. And...given motivation, it polishes almost to a chrome finish. Ask Sinovac for a pic of his. It is gorgeous.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sounds like you already bought it, but these come up from time to time on eBay. I was the only bidder on a used one with 5k miles. Got it for $1,400. To my ear, it is plenty loud at WOT, but otherwise not at all anti-social. It does, however, have a buzz at around 2k rpm when hot. No drone though. Despite the ad claims, you won't notice any power increase, but it's a nice weight decrease. And...given motivation, it polishes almost to a chrome finish. Ask Sinovac for a pic of his. It is gorgeous.

Sinovac Jet Hot coated his muffler which gives it a shiny finish. I don't think any polish and elbow grease was involved in his case:)

Parts for this car on eBay are few and far between. If you happen to find one of the more high dollar Ford Racing parts, it's usually gone pretty quickly. I tried waiting it out on a used M-9430GTX, but to no avail.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I have read that Borla redesigned the muffler so that the internal welds are less likely to fail and myy understanding is that the lifetime warranty isn't transferable. Reasons enough for me to buy a new one rather than wait for one to pop up on ebay.

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
I have read that Borla redesigned the muffler so that the internal welds are less likely to fail and myy understanding is that the lifetime warranty isn't transferable. Reasons enough for me to buy a new one rather than wait for one to pop up on ebay.

You are correct, I have seen both. The later version has an overlap at the end caps that provides more area for the weld.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ed,

My muffler is actually polished. The headers are Jet Hot coated. The muffler can be finished very nicely. See post #2.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?26180-Weight-of-exhaust-components&highlight=

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ed,

My muffler is actually polished. The headers are Jet Hot coated. The muffler can be finished very nicely. See post #2.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?26180-Weight-of-exhaust-components&highlight=

I stand corrected. Why didn't you coat the muffler as well? I would think it would benefit as much as coating the headers.

attachment.php

LOL

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I like the look of the polished muffler. It really stands out in the engine bay. Plus it was cheaper than coating it. lol
From a functional perspective though, you are right about coating the muffler. Honestly though, my engine bay doesn't get that hot after the new tune and the installation of the headers/cat delete. I am going to install the GT Guys bumper delete next, which will really open up the back of the car and permit even more cooling.