Ford/lincoln meeting

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
DBK,Anyone else, who can talk to management, America needs the lincoln brand......Make it more niche and less fordish but keep the brand....Are we hearing right they are considering the opposite. Please say its not so......No offense to focus/taurus/escape etc. but my Lincoln truck is 10 notches above, there are a few folks left that want quality and upgrades......its tiring fighting for quality,we have something to prove.....if not the asians have totally won....we need a BIG LINCOLN BOAT 4 DOOR...THEY ALWAYS SOLD... even as a niche....its much needed....gtjoey1314

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
From what I hear they are laying out the latest strategy and talking about the many new product launches they have in the near future. There also in a push for consistent facility's.
And they are still trying to sell the Mercury shutdown on Dealers who are reluctant to agree.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
This is going to sound really stupid, naive or both, but if Ford has bested the track times of an M3 with the latest iteration of the new Boss 302, and Motor Trend is comparing the new GT to the same M3 on the latest cover, why can't Ford devote some time to an upscale coupe (NOT a PONY car) to compete with the Euros? I know it will involve $$ which at present is hard to come by, but can one think of a better time to try?. The first U.S. version of the M3 was a cheapo 3 series, way overpriced @ nearly $40 large (1988 $$). Today, the M3 is thought of the best all around gt car, and typically wins accolades as the best factory car for handling. Ford has an absoluting killer motor in the B2 version of the 5 liter. Stuff it into a handsome coupe and voila, a domestic alternative to the Euro weenies.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You are hearing wrong.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Hope your right DBK, the MKX is up and frankly after picking up that old xjr supercharged jag it feels real nice and makes the very long day fade away. The wood,leather,COMFORTABLE seats. Ellie wants the new explorer, but again its not coming out till feb,and we start in the 40's to start, BMW/BENZ, I get it but still to hard and common....build a 4 door boat with style, it will sell ,baby boomers are aging and in huge numbers......a 63 lincoln convert passed the other day and God it looked good...something modern but stylish...Genesis/MAXIMA /ACURA are all doing something and selling alot more cars..all three that I metioned are at least 6 to 10 grand cheaper than my MKX.....and regretfully better built too....build it baby ....gtjoey1314

powergt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 17, 2006
Newport Beach, Ca.
Dust off the drawings for the Lincoln LS, insert the Mustang drivetrains from 2011, beef up the IRS rear diff and axles, et voila! Are you listening Ford?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
powergt, your right, remember the mark vii, the lsc, they sold zillions of them, a long front end, a nice classy grill, modern v8 or 6 with 300 horse...
its time , imagine a 6 series bmw convert but lincoln, a genesis but lincoln, they did have a 4 door suicide lincoln, build it, its boring going to the dealer , there really is no spark. BORING.... gtjoey1314

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"build a 4 door boat with style, it will sell ,baby boomers are aging and in huge numbers......a 63 lincoln convert passed the other day and God it looked good...something modern but stylish."

Joey, you are right about this. My older son, 18 next month, while watching HBO's Entourage, noted how cool the Lincoln convert was with suicide doors. I started thinking about your post, and realized there is NOTHING out there with the cache or presence that those Lincolns had. Imagine an updated version. The original was timeless. The car used in Entourage doesn't look out of place; if anything, it looks more hip than ever. It would be the anti Cadillac and though retro, it would definitely be un european as well.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
djs, I want Ford to not only survive but ...dare we say be a LEADER again. I jut saw another genesis, I first thought it was a Bentley with the wings on the back. Honked the horn it was a friend of my parents, theyve owned it all and could afford ANY car. Same story, "Joey we owned every car made at every price level, this thing is stylish /GOD FORBID V8 /leather holds 5 in COMFORT...and costs 40 grand with a 100,000 mile warranty 10 years.....hello.........djs , the bean counters have to be swept away.... im drawing a picture now , will post in a little bit....enjoy gtjoey1314

H

HHGT

As long as Lincoln have that funky, Ugly, Over-sized grill I'm staying away. I cant stand it. It looks like they looked at the BMW grill with a magnifying glass.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
"build a 4 door boat with style, it will sell ,baby boomers are aging and in huge numbers......a 63 lincoln convert passed the other day and God it looked good...something modern but stylish."

Joey, you are right about this. My older son, 18 next month, while watching HBO's Entourage, noted how cool the Lincoln convert was with suicide doors. I started thinking about your post, and realized there is NOTHING out there with the cache or presence that those Lincolns had. Imagine an updated version. The original was timeless. The car used in Entourage doesn't look out of place; if anything, it looks more hip than ever. It would be the anti Cadillac and though retro, it would definitely be un european as well.

I couldn't agree more.

002.jpg

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Perhaps Ford will be in a better position to fund new Lincoln programs relatively soon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print...-grade-to-return-sooner-than-we-thought-.html

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I think Joey's right. A thorough updating, with all the technology requisite for a high end car, the new thumping DOHC 5 liter under the hood (upsized to 6 liters?), and CLASS oozing out of every pore, with the suicide doors (possible today with insurance/liability headaches?), the car would be different than anything else out there. Lincoln could be a leader by offering a B I G, domestic, timeless design that is hip, cool, but not ostentatious, (you know, how things were 30-40 years ago before everyone/anyone who made it had to have an S550 or a 760IL).
Why not try something alternative to what every competitor in the luxo class is offering? Seriously, can the vast majority of MOMS driving an S class Benz, a 7 series BMW, an A8 Audi, or Lexus LS tell the difference between any of these "autobahners?" Show up with the updated Lincoln, and the crowds will stop in their tracks.