Ford GT vs ZO6

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
At the risk of life threatening punishment, I just bought a new ZO6 to join my '06 GT. The Z will be mainly for my wife. (It was her idea and who am I to argue!)
While the Z is new this week, a few early differences showed up quickly:
GT feels heavier (in a good way) and better planted. Steering is also heavier, again in a good way. The Vette has a very light steering feel. She likes it, I don't. The GT feels like it has better takoff acceleration, but I've been fairly easy on the Z so far. Z has much better outward sight lines and much easier for street use in traffic. Z's mopre practical in every way. If cars like these can be practical! Quality of materials is in the GT's favor. The Vette is OK, but not "fine". The Vette also has a million little electronic gizmo's and gimmics. Nice, but confusing and most will never be used. The GT's straight forward interior and basic controls allow "driving", rather than a lot of fooling around in the cockpit.
Yet, she'll be using her ZO6 a lot more than I'll get the GT out, so maybe she wins in the end!

As with many of these types of cars, they seem "the same, but different". I'm sure time will show other differences.

Drive on :rofl

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Time to put the Z06 through the paces and see how you really feel about it compared to the GT. I think the GT has a much smoother clutch than the Z and the shifter in the GT is also smoother. I almost bought a new 06Z yesterday for $5K over MSRP, but I feel I can wait for the 07Z since 06 production is almost over. I have a hard time paying over MSRP for a Vette. But the Z is the best bang for the buck going today.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
While a lot of us paid over msrp for our gt's I do find it hard to do for any other car.

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Cost

Agree, basicailly. I got my GT well under MSRP. I'm still surprised what a good deal I was able to put together when I bought it. So...when the Z idea came along I did pay slightly over MSRP to get the current ZO6, but very little over. Plus, with $1k off for my GM MasterCard points, dealer provided window tinting and a few things thrown in, it came out about MSRP. I suspect the Z will depreciate more quickly than the GT, much like other Vettes I've owned. But as you all know, waiting and waiting causes time without the cars we love. I'm not getting any younger and want to enjoy life now. I see too many folks, my very elderly parents included, who kept waiting for the Golden Years to come. When they did, many of those people had too many aliments, etc. to really enjoy them.
So, much like the GT, we grabbed the ZO6 and will enjoy it for what it is. Besides, the wife wanted it as her daily driver and who am I to argue?!
Problem now is 6 cars and 2 drivers and a garage full of fun! Choices, choices....

Drive safely,

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice Stu. The Z06 is a great car. I'd definitely want one as a DD if I lived somewhere sunny. :cheers

What color?

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
DBK - Thanks

Thanks. Got a silver/ebony ZO6. Easier to keep clean as a daily driver. Especially vs the Black GT.
Weather is OK here in SE Texas, except for occasional hurricanes and downpours! Lived in SoCal and NoCal a couple of times....now that's where the driving weather is normally a pleasure! I miss those days of PCH or Napa Valley drives in various fun cars. Ahhhh, the good old days.