Ford GT vs. S&P 500

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Friend of mine bought a nice Ferrari BBi for $125 last year, it was the last 70s or earlier lagging the market , even Dino's were higher, same car today $275! Similiar production nos as FGT. Which would you take?

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
Friend of mine bought a nice Ferrari BBi for $125 last year, it was the last 70s or earlier lagging the market , even Dino's were higher, same car today $275! Similiar production nos as FGT. Which would you take?

Well I don't purchase any vehicles for investment purposes. I still can not believe prices of Dino's! Never liked them back then and still not now. I'm extremely prejudiced with Boxers. With my buddy Cozy we broke the NY to LA record in a 512BB prepared by some of the Chinetti guys(Jean Louis-who later went on to his Lemans 24 garage in Cos Cob). I still hide the actual record and my name which still has not been broken from 1982.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98028471@N06/12175061265/

I remember in 1973 we were offered a '72 Daytona for 5000 pounds with about 5000 miles on it. Eventually purchased that Daytona for 3500. A GTO was worth 20K at this time.

:thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I still can not believe prices of Dino's! Never liked them back then and still not now....

:agree:

The Dino was "the poor man's Ferrari." Style wise, in the beginning, I thought they were quite ugly.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Luig Chinetti lived down the street from me. I spent many a day at the dealorship in Greenwich! Nice people back then!! Would be fun to take FGT on a cross country cannonball! Those days are over unfortunately

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"There's a beautiful white one (F1) for auction next week. "

This one? http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...o-auction-for-12-14-million-pebble-beach-2014

Check out that estimate; $12-$14,000,000. YOWZA

I love the F1. IMHO thee greatest street gonzo supercar ever. $14MM? I don't know what to say...

Last edited:

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
Luig Chinetti lived down the street from me. I spent many a day at the dealorship in Greenwich! Nice people back then!! Would be fun to take FGT on a cross country cannonball! Those days are over unfortunately

I drove my brothers 289 Cobra one day to Holly Way. Going north I smoked Coco's ass on Cat Rock while he was driving his Euro Daytona.

"There's a beautiful white one (F1) for auction next week. "

This one? http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...o-auction-for-12-14-million-pebble-beach-2014

Check out that estimate; $12-$14,000,000. YOWZA

I love the F1. IMHO thee greatest street gonzo supercar ever. $14MM? I don't know what to say...

Well check out this red one which went for 10.5 This white F1 is one of the lowest mileage F1's I have seen.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/one-of-only-two-red-mclaren-f1s-sold.html

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
How about the Porsche 918 (1m) , La Ferrari (1.3m)and the Mclaren F1 (1.3m)

Think these will appreciate.

The enzo has really gone up and so has the mclaren. Both are about 10 yrs old. The cgt is now a 500k plus car and going up. If you bought these cars 10 yrs ago you would have been able to drive them and enjoy them for a decade and for the most part at least break even...

Think the new ones do the same

I would think that both the P1 and LaFerrari will appreciate. I would not be surprised if in the long run the CGT is worth more than the 918.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would think that both the P1 and LaFerrari will appreciate. I would not be surprised if in the long run the CGT is worth more than the 918.

I don't know about that. It originally seemed like the 918 was fairly clearly the low man on the totem pole out of the three new big guns. Now it seems like it may end up being the best overall. They've upped and upped and upped the performance. This consistent recalibration of the performance capability has really changed my opinion of the car. Evo and Top Gear are both prone to automotive jingoism and for both to decide the 918 is the choice, as well as show 918 drubbing the P1 at a circuit (this is all based on what I've read on forums from people who have seen the forthcoming issues) will cast an interesting new perception on the car. Lotta units, but still significantly less units than F40.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Can't get around the idea of a hybrid becoming collectible! Then again there was the Stanley steamer and the "jet car"!

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I don't know about that. It originally seemed like the 918 was fairly clearly the low man on the totem pole out of the three new big guns. Now it seems like it may end up being the best overall. They've upped and upped and upped the performance. This consistent recalibration of the performance capability has really changed my opinion of the car. Evo and Top Gear are both prone to automotive jingoism and for both to decide the 918 is the choice, as well as show 918 drubbing the P1 at a circuit (this is all based on what I've read on forums from people who have seen the forthcoming issues) will cast an interesting new perception on the car. Lotta units, but still significantly less units than F40.

Unless you have driven the 918 its hard to imagine what the car can do. Its an absolute balls out loud nasty beast and refined and then electric. Its absolutely better then anything I could ever imagine on a track. All the latest technology but you dont know it. The sounds and pipes is muscle car x 10 on the sound.

THe numbers are staggering and its now proving out to be better then the mclaren and ferrari.

Lastly, the car is 400k cheaper then the other two as well.

I might be a little bias though:)

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
Unless you have driven the 918 its hard to imagine what the car can do. Its an absolute balls out loud nasty beast and refined and then electric. Its absolutely better then anything I could ever imagine on a track. All the latest technology but you dont know it. The sounds and pipes is muscle car x 10 on the sound.

THe numbers are staggering and its now proving out to be better then the mclaren and ferrari.

I was never a Porsche guy sort of ignore them but not anti-Porsche. Miles my friend in Naples is a Porsche guy. Will get a chance to take some laps in Abu Dhabi come November before the race in many vehicles.

There was a good side article in the August R & T supercar issue going into how in many European areas there are low emission zones. Cars are getting levies for entering certain cities but if your emissions are below a certain number you get a pass. The writer went on to say the last time emissions became an issue was during the70's when performance suffered greatly. But here with these models(P1, 918,LaFerrari) performance has improved.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I was never a Porsche guy sort of ignore them but not anti-Porsche. Miles my friend in Naples is a Porsche guy. Will get a chance to take some laps in Abu Dhabi come November before the race in many vehicles.

There was a good side article in the August R & T supercar issue going into how in many European areas there are low emission zones. Cars are getting levies for entering certain cities but if your emissions are below a certain number you get a pass. The writer went on to say the last time emissions became an issue was during the70's when performance suffered greatly. But here with these models(P1, 918,LaFerrari) performance has improved.

One of the things that is so unique about the car. Its a Porsche. Yes it has an electric mode. But the electric mode is a sideshow. What Porsche did is put the electric motors in to enhance performance and torque. Thats what is so cool. The electric mode is a gimmick or in the future to allow the cars to go in low emmission areas. In Sport and Race mode it sounds WAY better then anything on the road. Sounds like a full fledge muscle car. Better than the GT with the aftermarket exhaust and cat delete. Its nuts!!!!!!!!

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
One of the things that is so unique about the car. Its a Porsche. Yes it has an electric mode. But the electric mode is a sideshow. What Porsche did is put the electric motors in to enhance performance and torque. Thats what is so cool. The electric mode is a gimmick or in the future to allow the cars to go in low emmission areas. In Sport and Race mode it sounds WAY better then anything on the road. Sounds like a full fledge muscle car. Better than the GT with the aftermarket exhaust and cat delete. Its nuts!!!!!!!!

Last year when Jeff Beck played Tampa we attended the offshore boat races in Clearwater. We were suppose to have a road trip to Colliers museum and never made it because we spent all our time on the water when different teams gave us rides.

I'm going to meet up with him tomorrow before his gig and probably head over to Monterey for the cars on his one day off. His tour takes a break but we have it scheduled for late Sept for the Clearwater Boat race then a road trip to Naples and museum. From there across to Miami and some fishing off the Keys. I'm going to try to get my hands on a 918 for that Sept trip. The P1 has a great sound with the turbos but I do like the extended range of the 918 in electric mode.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Wow. Jeff Beck. That is cool. Do you know Simon Le Bon?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The big difference between 1989 and now: a billion more people in the market; Eastern Europe, Russia, China ( how they love brand names!!), even though less than 0.1% can afford them , Still allot more buyers than cars! Sure to slow and even pullback some but no Hugh crass like 1989.

I dont buy it....

Whenever people start saying "this time its different" because of all the Tea in China or Timbuktu, Solar-energy, franchises, make it up on volume....its the beginning of the end.

Eveyrtime its a new group, Arab Sheiks in the 70s, clueless Japanese in 80s; Muscle geezers in 2000s

Bottom line is when there are no more buyers, prices fall...and very fast.

Eastern Euro, Russian, and Chinese economies are very shallow but wide; you knock over a few kingpins and they start a domino effect of cashing out.
Dirty money and fast money cant be liquidated as fast as many think.

Deep economies have seas of consumers/ collectors that will revert values to the mean.

The final sellers will be widows/idiot sons and liquidators when the geezers croak...not some Blue Blazer in a tent.

Sad reality...if you have seen meltdowns over decades, very close up.

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
I dont buy it....

Whenever people start saying "this time its different" because of all the Tea in China or Timbuktu, Solar-energy, franchises, make it up on volume....its the beginning of the end.

Eveyrtime its a new group, Arab Sheiks in the 70s, clueless Japanese in 80s; Muscle geezers in 2000s

Bottom line is when there are no more buyers, prices fall...and very fast.

Eastern Euro, Russian, and Chinese economies are very shallow but wide; you knock over a few kingpins and they start a domino effect of cashing out.
Dirty money and fast money cant be liquidated as fast as many think.

Deep economies have seas of consumers/ collectors that will revert values to the mean.

The final sellers will be widows/idiot sons and liquidators when the geezers croak...not some Blue Blazer in a tent.

Sad reality...if you have seen meltdowns over decades, very close up.

You must be a banker...lol or my brother the financial architect. The part about the final sellers will be widows/sons ... use to bother me in the past.

My grand-dad amassed a large collection of cars over 50+ years and by the time I became a teen I added to it extensively. My brother being older did the ivy grad school route and took over family interests and foundations. My sister passed early in life so I was the sole car nut out of the family. Before I had twin daughters over 11 years ago I viewed it as a nightmare if I passed and hundreds of cars being liquidated. However you have to educate all those around you about anything and everything. I challenge my children by contests on a variety of subjects (including cars) and you would be surprised with the right motivation what can be learned. I have one daughter that wants to drive each and every car and the other wants to learn the history of them all. So that possible nightmare no longer bothers me.

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu

Do you own a 918? Or have you had access to one?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
So that possible nightmare no longer bothers me.

I am so very relieved.

At the risk of being discourteous, please resist the temptation to make your every post an exercise in self-aggrandizement. If you are who you purport to be, great, I am happy for you, but it very bad form to carry on like you have been doing. If you can't demonstrate a modicum of humility, at least give us the benefit of pictures of your extensive family collection. We are all car guys and gals here and would love to see them.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I am so very relieved.

At the risk of being discourteous, please resist the temptation to make your every post an exercise in self-aggrandizement. If you are who you purport to be, great, I am happy for you, but it very bad form to carry on like you have been doing. If you can't demonstrate a modicum of humility, at least give us the benefit of pictures of your extensive family collection. We are all car guys and gals here and would love to see them.

I wondered if I was the only one thinking that. I understand being the new guy, and the desire to prove your worth to the crowd (and in doing so, going a bit far). Been there, done that. Stormbringer, your posts have... intrigued me. I'll leave it at that.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You're definitely not alone Clint. Take a look at this gem from Club Cobra. "Stormbringer" was known as "Onyxrider" on that forum for a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF
onyx, hate to break this to you but most can see you are FOS. the consistent self-serving BS in almost every post can only fly for so long. apparently you have delusions of grandeur to offset a lacking self esteem. like I said before, the word's most interesting man doesn't hold a candle to you and your globe trotting escapades to rub elbows with the rich & famous, run "fund raisers" for politicians, and hold hands with the young underprivileged
_
Originally Posted by Onyxrider
Are you stupid or what? You have the intestinal fortitude to say that to me in person?

There already have been three members from three different continents making note of some of your and other members posts. You do not know me at all or what I'm about. Why don't you listen instead of running your mouth off. Seriously dude!!! I have a whole line of air craft carriers to start dropping on fools as yourself. You bring absolutely no weight here. Very foolish comments. As I stated before ignore or take the weight. You were judged and found wanting long ago.

Already messaged Jamo this site will be a battle field if members like you continue. Same ole small minded crap day in and day out. Yes Jamo tells everyone to knock it out but the pattern of abuses continue. What do you bring to the table?

It's very sad some of the members here. If I was a bastard I would say it's laughable in my position about members trying to uplift themselves by offering financial advice. Maybe you should listen. My brother who is a true financial architect listened very carefully to people. Bought millions of shares of individual stock at dollars apiece now worth large amounts.

My family actually was one that bailed out this country twice, once with the Rothschilds in the 1890's and again in the panic of 1907. From a small industrial tube manufacturing company my great-grandfather was a visionary and inventor He combined principal interests in his field into one company and later with JP Morgan as partner headed National Steel Company. Shortly thereafter headed the first billon dollar company in the world-US Steel. Was the largest stockholder of the company and grew tired of that and was partners in three banks . Son in law was first to head NY federal reserve. We set policy for decades. Helped pull this country out of the depression by building up and investing in our 17th ranked military which became #1 with the atomic bomb.

Now my family has been collecting transportation before the invention of the automobile. Sorry to jump around all valid facts but not fully explained.

In fact you do know the US does manipulate the price of gold. Just a short time ago I personally made what you in your limited mind would be a massive sum.To me it was a good run.

Try to listen once again you may learn something. Did you get that or do I need to repeat it again and again and again.

What do you contribute other than being a troll? A chevy in a Cobra thread! Please maybe you should stay there.

Did you ever serve and save lives or just sit home on your computer and troll.

I might say that's a lot of delusion. Have an opinion but at least come correct.

Is that enough weight for you? Or should I make it personal now?

Your choice ignore posts and not make silly immature comments or suffer the weight. "You ain't seen nothing yet as the saying goes."

I have always stated I have been blessed for opportunities that I have had.

Carry on