Ford GT Rear Ratios?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Ray and Mark are both going about 7800-8200 to go 257 and 267 in the mile in 5th gear. A ford gt could go 300 in 5th around 9000rpms ...

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
If there was a track well enough to do it, my prediction was the car would go 270+ in the mile in 5th gear at 8200rpm. I can promise you this, I highly doubt any Ford GT will see that speed at the Texas Mile though... but never say never. We will try and top our speed of 257.7 come Oct 26th at the Texas Mile in a couple of months. Stay tuned!!!!!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
...madness, but I like it.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I thought I remember that Ray told me he used 6th gear for the miles (stock final drive).

Ed

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
My limiter is 7,200...I think....and I hit it on a long run crossing the line at 232 and change. There is not much more in 5th except for the crazy cars that Mark and Ray have. Maybe another 1-2mph if you time the line and the limiter perfectly. My car will still accelerate in 6th but much slower than the other gears obviously. It was still accelerating well according to my Vbox data. The 10mph splits were an interesting chart to check out.

I am very curious as to what my car will do in 6th on a longer run with some cooler temps. (June afternoon in Mojave not the best conditions) Hopefully I will find out next year.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
We have run the numbers many times in regards to trap speeds on my GT and all things being consistent shows that the car will trap 272mph at the mile in the very top of 5th gear at 8200rpm. With that being the case, there would be no reason to shift into 6th unless doing something longer than a mile run. We dont ever expect to see those types of speeds at the Texas Mile due to track conditions but on a smooth track, good weather and enough power, it is possible.

Mark H.

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
We have run the numbers many times in regards to trap speeds on my GT and all things being consistent shows that the car will trap 272mph at the mile in the very top of 5th gear at 8200rpm. With that being the case, there would be no reason to shift into 6th unless doing something longer than a mile run. We dont ever expecct to see those types of speeds at the Texas Mile due to track conditions but on a smooth track, good weather and enough power, it is possible.

Mark H.

I look at what you have done with tremedous admiration. When I think of your car I waffle between how INSANELY COOL it would be to drive it versus thinking that it would just be insane. :lol I can't imagine watching the RPM gauge go to over 8,000. :eek :thumbsup:thumbsup

If you ever did a longer venue which would require a shift to 6th what do you think your car would top out at??