Ford GT Oil Change-A Detailed "How To"

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
We'll it's that time of year when all four GT's get their oil change. I always dread this day. First, there's the removal of all 4,224 Torx head screws to remove the belly pans, all of which are about 9 inches long and take about 5,300 revolutions to remove. And as always, just when you think that you have all 4,244 screws removed and the pan is ready to drop, there's always ONE MORE that you can never seem to find that is hanging up the pan. So, you've got that last single Torx screw out....and wait, there's another one hanging up the pan. So you make the 5,300 revolutions to free that culprit. Now the pan is ready to remove. As you gently slide it out from under the car you can count on 44 pounds of dirt, stones, remnants of road kill, and all manner of dirty stuff to fall onto your head and face. If you're lucky, you'll even get some of the grit to fall down the front AND back of your shirt. After you've changed your shirt you can start draining the oil. The drain plug on the engine block is great, it's easy to access, has a captive O-ring and uses a simple 13 mm socket. You unplug the sump and begin to drain the oil..and voila!...about half a quart drains out. Wait, there's more oil in this thing than half a quart! Now that the sump has relinquished itself of all of its 0.5 quart contents, it's time to drain the remaining 9 quarts. After careful searching with a flashlight you find the drain plug on the dry sump oil tank. You are suddenly struck with solving a "Rubick's cube" puzzle. How do you get a funnel up there? After searching your garage for all manner and shapes of funnels, you finally figure something out. You fiddle with the drain plug, stuff a make-shift funnel up as close as you can and carefully turn the plug out by hand (remember the oil is only about 280 degrees at this point so no worries about getting scalded by hot oil. You're tough.). Once the drain plug is free, what seem like 55 gallons of hot oil gush forth, out of control with a force of about 245 psi. In about a nanosecond after the oil drain plug releases its grip, it's then you realize that this relentless oil gusher has just taken your drain plug downstream into the neck of your funnel where it still thinks that it must perform its job as a drain plug. Naturally, the funnel's capacity is about a half quart. There are 9 quarts or so of hot oil oozing over the top of the funnel obedient to the laws of gravity. Oil is now running down the frame members, down your arms, on your head, across the ramps of your lift and onto the floor in multiple streams where it creates an oil spill that makes the Exxon Valdeze seem like no big deal. Now that the oil is drained you can now spend four hours cleaning up the mess, (including trips to the store to buy another bag of Oil Dry, 12 rolls of paper towels, and various cleaners). You can now take another hour to clean the filthy belly pans and begin the task of re-filling and changing the filter. After that's done you can re-install the 4,224 fasteners. But wait, why is it that you always end up with three extra Torx screws that you can never figure out where they came from? On Day Five, you can then move on to the next GT for its oil change...Oh Joy!:ack

Last edited:

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Could you put this in an outline format.

Thanks.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Well.... after searching the forum for instructions , I had intended to tackle the oil-change task today for the first time (for me) on the gt. Thanks Tim, you have just released me from that obligation......postponing it for another day appears to be a logical decision based on my desires NOT TO RUIN MY DAY ! Maybe I'll service my small block chevy........

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
The oil change is easy and with the right tools takes less than a hour if you have a lift. Tim is right, there are a bunch of screws but a cordless drill makes short work of them. If I didn't have a lift or access to one, the thought of lying on my back with the car on jacks and removing the screws by hand would be enough to make me consider taking it to a qualified mechanic as well. A bad oil change experience at a dealership (badly scuffed rim and so much oil from the filter had been spilled onto the motor, smoke was billowing from the clam shell) convinced me to purchase the lift.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I roll mine up on ramps and hand screw / unscrew each and every fastener. It doesn't take a huge amount of time to complete the job. But the small amount of time I get doing this hands on and near thought free to me is priceless.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
We are blessed to have Kendall and Ryan around :thumbsup

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I even torque my screws when I'm done!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id

If I still lived in So Cal they would do all my work.:thumbsup

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I would have a hard time trusting a Ford Dealership mechanic performing this fluid change (at least in this area); I bet most would drain the dry sump but not the engine block drain points....

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
lmao
just did mine yesterday at a ford dealer. they are a good bunch of guys. i was with them and helping them the whole time. we changed the trans oil and inspected the oil pump drive gear for rust dust as well. they even had a bbq and asked me to join them. the gt gets extra special treatment at this ford dealer

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Sadly all dealers are not like that, post the name and location so other owners can use them as well.:thumbsup

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I am very lucky. I have had the same Viper tech for 17 years and have a lift. I bought him a GT shop manual and he comes over and takes cars of everything. He is a master mechanic and builds drag cars. He loves the GTs.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
We'll it's that time of year when all four GT's get their oil change. I always dread this day. First, there's the removal of all 4,224 Torx head screws to remove the belly pans, all of which are about 9 inches long and take about 5,300 revolutions to remove. And as always, just when you think that you have all 4,244 screws removed and the pan is ready to drop, there's always ONE MORE that you can never seem to find that is hanging up the pan. So, you've got that last single Torx screw out....and wait, there's another one hanging up the pan. So you make the 5,300 revolutions to free that culprit. Now the pan is ready to remove. As you gently slide it out from under the car you can count on 44 pounds of dirt, stones, remnants of road kill, and all manner of dirty stuff to fall onto your head and face. If you're lucky, you'll even get some of the grit to fall down the front AND back of your shirt. After you've changed your shirt you can start draining the oil. The drain plug on the engine block is great, it's easy to access, has a captive O-ring and uses a simple 13 mm socket. You unplug the sump and begin to drain the oil..and voila!...about half a quart drains out. Wait, there's more oil in this thing than half a quart! Now that the sump has relinquished itself of all of its 0.5 quart contents, it's time to drain the remaining 9 quarts. After careful searching with a flashlight you find the drain plug on the dry sump oil tank. You are suddenly struck with solving a "Rubick's cube" puzzle. How do you get a funnel up there? After searching your garage for all manner and shapes of funnels, you finally figure something out. You fiddle with the drain plug, stuff a make-shift funnel up as close as you can and carefully turn the plug out by hand (remember the oil is only about 280 degrees at this point so no worries about getting scalded by hot oil. You're tough.). Once the drain plug is free, what seem like 55 gallons of hot oil gush forth, out of control with a force of about 245 psi. In about a nanosecond after the oil drain plug releases its grip, it's then you realize that this relentless oil gusher has just taken your drain plug downstream into the neck of your funnel where it still thinks that it must perform its job as a drain plug. Naturally, the funnel's capacity is about a half quart. There are 9 quarts or so of hot oil oozing over the top of the funnel obedient to the laws of gravity. Oil is now running down the frame members, down your arms, on your head, across the ramps of your lift and onto the floor in multiple streams where it creates an oil spill that makes the Exxon Valdeze seem like no big deal. Now that the oil is drained you can now spend four hours cleaning up the mess, (including trips to the store to buy another bag of Oil Dry, 12 rolls of paper towels, and various cleaners). You can now take another hour to clean the filthy belly pans and begin the task of re-filling and changing the filter. After that's done you can re-install the 4,224 fasteners. But wait, why is it that you always end up with three extra Torx screws that you can never figure out where they came from? On Day Five, you can then move on to the next GT for its oil change...Oh Joy!:ack

THIS is why I have never changed my oil. Paying John's guys is money well spent.

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
You forgot about changing the oil filter. When you remove the cannister cover, about a half quart of oil runs down the side of your engine block and onto your frame rails. A tip is to loosen the hex cap on top of the cannister when you first start. When you get the pans off, a lot of the oil will have drained down to help lessen the mess. I found something at NAPA called Form a Funnel. It is a really neat piece of flexible plastic to form a funnel. Not sure it will fit in there, forgot I had it. Use a piece of aluminum foil to form a guide of the frame rail.

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
Oookay. You just reminded me I need to do that oil change. Time to call up that special mechanic who's really looking forward to working on the GT for the first time. I'll be sure to bring the manual and a printout of this very detailed howto...

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV

Amen!:thumbsup

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
You forgot about changing the oil filter. When you remove the cannister cover, about a half quart of oil runs down the side of your engine block and onto your frame rails. A tip is to loosen the hex cap on top of the cannister when you first start. When you get the pans off, a lot of the oil will have drained down to help lessen the mess. I found something at NAPA called Form a Funnel. It is a really neat piece of flexible plastic to form a funnel. Not sure it will fit in there, forgot I had it. Use a piece of aluminum foil to form a guide of the frame rail.

You are right, I did that step the next day. I used a piece of cardboard with about three paper towels on top, and let it drip onto the paper and cardboard. It worked! I'll have to buy a form-a-funnel. By the way, if you're in town today, we'll have the Ford GT and Viper ACR running at Nelson Ledges Road Coarse just down the street from you. Stop by!