Ford GT Newbie here

Jun 29, 2006
Greensboro, NC
Hi All...am brand new to the GT, but not new to exotics, etc. Just looked at a red with stripes today...not sure yet between that, the blue w/stripes, or the new titanium w/stripes. However, I do have a question regardless of what color I get. I know how the Viper and Lambo boards flame you down if you ask about adding cruise control, so I will NOT ask that... :biggrin

My question is this: has anyone here added a sat nav system, with or without rearview camera? It is easily done on Lambos and Vipers. Would like to hear what you have experienced and any suggestions if you had this done.

I think I can get a better price on an '06 than an '05. Many of the '05s I inquired about were brought to the dealer back when they were getting $50k to $100k over MSRP. I know of good deals on the '06.

Thanks for any response(s) you have...look forward to the advice.

Mike in NC

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Cruise Control

I started a thread re cruise control (see Tech discussion) and no one threatened me! Actually got a bit of good info there re the speed sensing source. If anyone adds a good cruise unit, they'll hopefully add info on that thread. Hey, cruise control is no worse than a "race car" with a/c, a sub-woffer, backup cam, etc. Takes the great temptation away in known speed trap areas too!

----Rick

kageno

GT Owner
Jun 21, 2006
Kenmore WA
Back up Cam??

rickisapilot said:
I started a thread re cruise control (see Tech discussion) and no one threatened me! Actually got a bit of good info there re the speed sensing source. If anyone adds a good cruise unit, they'll hopefully add info on that thread. Hey, cruise control is no worse than a "race car" with a/c, a sub-woffer, backup cam, etc. Takes the great temptation away in known speed trap areas too!

----Rick

For real? Is there a back up cam option? I could really use one........

Jun 29, 2006
Greensboro, NC
First, I was NOT serious about cruise control. Love it, but was just joking how the Lambo and Viper people balk at them.

However, I would really like a sat nav system and add a back up cam to it. No, it is not a Ford option. But, shops that install highend audio and video systems do them along with the sat nav. You can have cam come on just when in reverse, or hit a button and have it stay on (shows on the flip up nav screen).

My post was asking if anyone here has done that and how they liked it. It is done on lots of Lambo Diablos and Murcies...and many other cars that lack clear view to the rear.

New question...if you pass on the mcintosh audio option, I understand you get a glovebox and more room behind seats where the subwoofer is. Comments? I've seen very few offered without the mcintosh. I sure don't see where it is worth $4,000, You could get a nice aftermarket system for less than that.

Mike in NC

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It's not quite so easy. The "other" radio has only one speaker in each door. No sub, no tweeters, no amp. Look at past threads for pictures of other radio replacements. Trying to remove the Mac is no easy matter, and the replacement part is around $1600. Not exactly a glove box. Look at old threads on this too, pictures and descriptions are plentiful. There's not much room for fancy sat/nav systems. The fuel tank runs down the middle of the car (ship in a bottle they call it.)

Townshend

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
The biggest problem is the darn start button & accessory plug.

They stick out so far that a pop-up single did screen can not function. Otherwise it would be cake to put in one of those.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Jun 29, 2006
Greensboro, NC
Hey guys...decided today on the tungsten grey with all four options. question on the stereo...does it have any preset equalization...like rock, jazz, etc? could not see any of the controls...even with the lights on. would hate to mess with that radio while driving...very dangerous location and controls not user friendly. But, she is beautiful anyway. Now when I pick up old ladies at the senor center, won't have any place to put their walker. oh boy...always a problem.

Will post pic when it is delivered.

Mike in NC :banana

Townshend

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
weatherman1940 said:
question on the stereo...does it have any preset equalization...like rock, jazz, etc?

HAHA - What? Did you think the stereo cost like 4k or something? For what you paid, you get bass AND treble!

You do get AUX RCA females to hook up an iPod or such.

Gratz on the purchase! - Stereo aside, you will love every minute (and the Mac ain't bad, it just ain't 4k good.)