Ford GT fastest lap ever at VIR - C&D

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Yes, I think people understand that the Car and Driver article about the times that Car and Driver gets at VIR, which they have done for over a decade, is in reference to the times that Car and Driver gets.
Lets redo this....your number 4 post comes across as the fastest ever........that's all.
No foul.
GTJOEY1314

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Lets redo this....your number 4 post comes across as the fastest ever........that's all.
No foul.
GTJOEY1314

Only to people with reading comprehension issues. It literally says in giant letters "LIGHTNING LAP" right across the top. I would say most car people have an awareness of what Lightning Lap is, and therefore understand this is a comparison of Lightning Lap times. The graphic is from Car and Driver.

capture3333-png.1458866

Mar 15, 2006
Bring on the Nurburgring Nordschliefe. Billy Johnson is the man. I rode with him in a GT350 around the track in Utah and that was probably the craziest thing I have done in a car and I have done a lot of crazy things in cars. Glad to see the FGT establishing its street and track cred. Keep it coming Ford Performance!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
This is a comparison of the times that Car and Driver magazine has achieved with the various cars.

A professional driver has obliterated all of these times in the GT.

Apples to Apples ... and C&D said they would have pulled another second or two off the time if they had as much time to track the new FGT as they did with the others.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Really exciting news!

pretty impressive for the AMG GT R and z06 to be so close behind, kudos to them too

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Yesss! That is a smoking fast time.

Ed

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It’s not close to as fast as the car can/has gone either.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im surprised how the Vmax speeds the GT was 7 mph slower than the 918. Looking at the other speeds, is one or 2mph (yes much slower speeds)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
918 is really over 900 hp.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I would attend and offer to join as a terrified codriver :driving:

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
Very exciting. An amazing car.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
720 comparison is the one I’m interested in, also the new Senna. But of course, all these tests are all subject to so much interpretation, tire choice, climate, cheating (think every Ferrari ever tested), etc - remember the LaFerrari/918/P1 hype? Each mag got different winners, and it was Chris Harris who finally did a legit comparo, which proved inconclusive.
Bottom line, some people just want bragging rights, others want a car that means something special to them. Regardless of the GT’s laptimes, I know which car i’m lusting after and can’t wait to get my hands on!

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
The Senna is more on the lines of a Mercedes Project One, Aston Valkyrie, or Viper ACR than the 720, Ford GT, or even the trio of hybrids hypercars. With the visible downforce of it, i'd probably put money on it being faster than a One or Valkyrie.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
720 comparison is the one I’m interested in, also the new Senna. But of course, all these tests are all subject to so much interpretation, tire choice, climate, cheating (think every Ferrari ever tested), etc - remember the LaFerrari/918/P1 hype? Each mag got different winners, and it was Chris Harris who finally did a legit comparo, which proved inconclusive.
Bottom line, some people just want bragging rights, others want a car that means something special to them. Regardless of the GT’s laptimes, I know which car i’m lusting after and can’t wait to get my hands on!

Well said on your last two lines!

I have to imagine the Senna is going to murder the GT though. But it better as ugly as that thing is. But even if it was a thing of beauty, I lust the same as you.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
F.A.S.T.!!!

That is wonderful, it really shows how good the aerodynamics of the Ford GT are.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Wow... impressive Ford. Only thing negative for all the other cars visceral experience...you can take the top off the 918. You guys with GTX1... bravo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Why do some people think the FGT is not the best track car? It is street legal race car. Bring on the McLaren 720. Forget the heavy hybrids.

Ed

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
just received Car and Driver February issue in the mail which also has acceleration results out for the NGT along with the Lightning Lap sidebar that Xcentric posted the link to.

0-60: 3.0 seconds
0-100: 6.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 10.8 seconds @ 134mph

They commented that "Loud, light, and grippy the Ford GT puts on its best performance on a road course rather than a drag strip."

Last edited:

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Blistering fast for a 2wd car!

just received Car and Driver February issue in the mail which also has acceleration results out for the NGT along with the Lightning Lap sidebar that Xcentric posted the link to.

0-60: 3.0 seconds
0-100: 6.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 10.8 seconds @ 134mph

They commented that "Loud, light, and grippy the Ford GT puts on its best performance on a road course rather than a drag strip."

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Just Awesome. I think the 918 hybrid benefits from instant torque out of the corner in the twisty stuff, but not by much over the GT and the GT is far superior as Kendall mentioned, on the long straight's with twists. Really speaks of superior downforce throughout the operating envelope without a large drag penalty. A much better aero package. Would really be cool to see a 900+ HP GT.:) Go Ford