Ford GT Engine Removal

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Not sure how many folks have had the chance to see what the back half of the GT looks with almost everything removed but I thought I would post a few pics. Yesterday at M2K Motorsports we finally got the engine out and ready to ship back to John Mihovetz with Accufab Racing. John always wants to check the motor out after events to make sure nothing is happening inside the engine he is unaware about. The engine will be back at Accufab this week so he can go through and make sure all things are good. If I am lucky maybe he can find some more power we haven't tapped into yet.

Also, this Facebook thing is new to me but if anyone that has an account you can follow the builds at M2K Motorsports by viewing our page.

Thanks
Mark Heidaker

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 812
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 917

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Are those extra cooling lines coming from the heads?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Facebook looks good!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MRL

Feb 22, 2013
Are those extra cooling lines coming from the heads?
Yes. You tie those into the upper rad hoses to create a direct return path. Modulars are notorious for running hot on the back cylnders specifically #8.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yes. You tie those into the upper rad hoses to create a direct return path. Modulars are notorious for running hot on the back cylnders specifically #8.
That's what I have read. I take out some timing from #8 for that reason.

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
The heads are dry decked. There is still water running through the heads externally so it does not pass through the head gasket area. We do this to help the cooling but it also gives us a safety factor that if something was to happen with the motor it wouldn't blow coolant all on the back tires running such speeds over a mile.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Thanks for sharing the Incredible view of your car..... Incredibly happy it's not a view of my car!.... ;-)

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
No doubt some folks would really have concern doing this much to a GT. All I can say is that Kevin Kesterson is no stranger to these cars and takes such great care of it I don't have a concern in the world. He has removed this engine many times and I believe could reassemble with his eyes closed if need be. Kevin knows how picky I am in regards to cars in general but the good thing is, he is just as picky and takes all necessary precaution when doing the work. It takes a lot of trust for Patrick O'Gormon the driver of the car to believe that when Kevin says the car is ready to make a270+mph pass down the One Mile that he has done all the checks and it is ready. Not a better guy around to be working on these cars if in the Houston area.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
No doubt some folks would really have concern doing this much to a GT. All I can say is that Kevin Kesterson is no stranger to these cars and takes such great care of it I don't have a concern in the world. He has removed this engine many times and I believe could reassemble with his eyes closed if need be. Kevin knows how picky I am in regards to cars in general but the good thing is, he is just as picky and takes all necessary precaution when doing the work. It takes a lot of trust for Patrick O'Gormon the driver of the car to believe that when Kevin says the car is ready to make a270+mph pass down the One Mile that he has done all the checks and it is ready. Not a better guy around to be working on these cars if in the Houston area.

I second that with Kevin as he's the one that has done 90% of the work on my car. I trust him 100%.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My car: John engine + Shadowman R/R

Ed

Attachments

• Ed's GT exhaust.JPG
    Ed's GT exhaust.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Ed's engine July 2011.jpg
    Ed's engine July 2011.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 200

Cobraguy

GT Owner
We don't often get to see this naked angle. Beautiful piece....and a nice screensaver to boot!

MRL

Feb 22, 2013
Ok I'll add one too....

Really they are a fairly simple R&R.

Attachments

• 20130118_102507.jpg
    20130118_102507.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 148