Ford GT doing 400 Km/h.......

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hey guys,
How much HP would it acually take for the GT to do the magic 400 Km/h??

If the Bugatti can reach 400 Km/h with just north of 1000HP, what can a 1000HP GT-TT do??

I guess that it's simple math if you have the GT's aero data (drag, CW etc..)??

Anyone??

PS: Continental tire company has a top-speed shoot-out every year at the Nardo track. It's normally ruled by 9ff Porsche tuners and they do just shy of 400Km/h with 800-900HP. I would like to go TT and go and make them all look silly..:)))

A little Nordo fun HERE

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nice link. Surprised they run at night given the reduced visibility. I didn't know a stock Enzo would run 220mph. Impressive.

Bolt up your twin turbos and embarrass them! :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great vid,.. you guys are crazy, last time I was over 200mph it was in an airplane:lol

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Dang! No helmets! :eek

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Lets sponsor PikoJoe for the next go-around.

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
What are some actual top speeds for a stock FGT? I have seen 205mph posted, but I don't know where it came from. How about a modified GT?

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Read in one of the mags where the GT was clocked at 212 on the Nardo track while the 205 "certs" were going on.

Another mag reported a FGT radared on the Autobahn at 218 ...but they didn't say if that was down hill with a tail wind or what.

'Wonder if anyone's done the math and determined just when a GT hits the go-no-faster "air wall".

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
The GT did 212 mph at Nardo. The execs thought 205 was "enough".

I was not aware of 218 mph on the Autobahn...

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Tuner shoot-out!!

This is where I want to go with a TT GT... :thumbsup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPYElQp7jyo

Some one plese tell me how fast a 1000HP Gt will go...

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
'Read in one of the mags where the GT was clocked at 212 on the Nardo track while the 205 "certs" were going on.

Another mag reported a FGT radared on the Autobahn at 218 ...but they didn't say if that was down hill with a tail wind or what.

'Wonder if anyone's done the math and determined just when a GT hits the go-no-faster "air wall".

I've been told by a very reliable source that the GT Ford used during this testing reached 212 mph three times during three separate high speed attempts. It is also my understanding that this testing was done under very hot temperature conditions. The Nardo track in located in a part of Italy that has very high summer temperatures.

Rob

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
For the life of me I can't find the damn disc since I moved, but I've got a CD of the footage from Nardo. The car initially went over 208 during certification for 205, but two days later hit a max of 211.89. This is 100% stock. Mark McGowan and Aston's test driver (the name escapes me), both comfortably put the car well over it's "certified" 205 speed.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPYElQp7jyo Do you guys have something like this in The States??

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
There are no long test tracks that people can use. I think the closest similar event would be Bonneville.

D one

FORD GT OWNER - PHILLIPINES
May 17, 2007
w/ 1000hp, Joe's GTTT definitely would top Bugatti's top speed. Our GT's at 6th gear 6500rpm would reach around 264mph or 424kmh at 7000rpm 284mph or 456kmh. No doubt on aero dynamics, fourty years ago the same body design has doing 220mph at Le mans. Only doubt are the speed rating of the Goodyear tires.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
a ford GT will need a minimum of 1000 rwhp in order to beat the veyrons top speed of 253 mph. i bet it will take closer to 1200 rwhp since you are gonna be doin it in 6th gear which coupled with the 28" tall rear tires and 3.36 rear gear is massively overdriven. definately twin turbos with lots of boost for sure are needed to make this kind of power. a whipple supercharger with 21 psi, etc pushin 800 rwhp should do 230 mph in 5th gear at close to 7,000 rpm's

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
w/ 1000hp, Joe's GTTT definitely would top Bugatti's top speed. Our GT's at 6th gear 6500rpm would reach around 264mph or 424kmh at 7000rpm 284mph or 456kmh. No doubt on aero dynamics, fourty years ago the same body design has doing 220mph at Le mans. Only doubt are the speed rating of the Goodyear tires.

if you have enough power to accelerate up to a top speed of 253 mph in a distance of 3 miles then i feel the stock tires with 40 psi cold in them could handle it. otherwise if it takes more distance than that the tires would be to stressed. i think at this speed though the front end of the car would experience lift though and this would be a problem. for some reason i think that the GT has only been wind tunnel tested up to 220 mph. beyond 250 mph you might just be flying a kite. :eek

does anybody know how high of a speed the GT has been wind tunnel tested to and what the lift results were?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
There are no long test tracks that people can use. I think the closest similar event would be Bonneville.

SVS turbo took there stock bodied gen-2 viper to a world record top speed of 246 mph at bonneville. this car dyno'd 1200 rwhp at that time. if it weren't for the tire slip on the salt this car probably would have gone 253 mph on pavement. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I recon that Bugatti acually has done pretty well - having done 407 Km/h with "just" 1000 horses...

A good idea would be to fit lower profile tires on the rear of the GT, to have it max out in 6th gear at 410 Km/h or so... That would also give you lower ground clearence and less disturbing wind under the car...

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
It's pretty interesting to watch you guys go in different directions estimating what our cars will do with X amount of power. :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin