Ford Gt Crash!!! The Car Is An Amazing Testament To Engineering!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Wow. Glad you and your buddy are OK. Shame about the car, not many no stripe Tungstens around. Replace the GT before it is too late. the new supply is drying up fast.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Maybe consider changing your screen name with your next vehicle purchase?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I really hope that my weak attempt at humor is not in poor taste. My apologies in advance if so. You seem like someone who has a sense of humor and can see the good along with the bad.

The important thing is that you and your friend are okay. Man, that wreck looked awful.

201MPH

Apr 25, 2006
Toronto
Damn that sucks, after seeing the pics I am considering suing that town for emotional distress.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I am considering my replacement options right now.

Another GT

Audi R8 (long wait though)

Gallardo

Porsche Turbo

Aston Martin Vanquish

Hard Descisions :confused

IN ORDER:

1: Obviously!
2: NO!
3: eeeeeeh ... mebbe...if you wanna pay MORE 4 a slower car. (But, I gotta admit that was my 2nd choice after the GT.)
4: puleeeeeze!
5: too slow ( which may actually be a "plus" 4U now! 'Won't fly as far!:rofl sorry...:wink . )
6: not really!

(duck 'n' cover, 'Pockets - here it comes...)

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Glad to hear you're ok!:thumbsup
Sorry to see the GT like that. Hope it works out for you.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Lots of people get seriously injured or killed in lesser wrecks. Congratulations to you and your friend for your good fortune after the accident. That must have been one hellofa ride on the side.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
from the looks of these pix the car more than likely could actually be repaired. it would cost major bux, but it can be done. otherwise lots of parts can be salvaged to put to you use on other wrecks to create the ultimate frankestein GT.

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Glad your OK, wow that is amazing, I have never seen a car on it's side like that. It really looks pretty good considering what it went through. You're right; This is a testiment, to the design.

Hope you choose another GT... the Gallardo & R8 might be neat, but the GT is really a piece of work.

Again, glad you and your friend are fine.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Glad to hear your ok! I'm sad to see a car go to the grave yard!! I guess that makes my Tungsten car a little more rare???

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Well that was a shock to read this morning....... I'd just echo the comments here that we're all glad you're OK.

I'd be absolutely heartbroken if that was my GT - you seem remarkably sanguine about it.

Do please let us know how your insurance company deal with the local state authority...

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
Thank God you and your friend are OK! And what an amazing car! Those shots of it on its side in the arroyo are incredible. Good luck on your choice for replacement. On the other hand, is there any car you've ever driven that looks, feels, and performs, or protects its occupants like the one you chose before?

Best wishes,

Hammer

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Wow! Glad your OK...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Happy to learn you and your passenger walked away unharmed.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Roll bar

First, very, very sorry.

Believe it or not that was the luckiest day of your life.

My brother is a highway EMT and this (flips, drops, roof/side landings) usually ends in a wheelchair.

I think the GTs natural roll-bar (ie, cage b/w doors/clamshell) and low center of gravity saved you.

This is one of the main reasons I got the GT; most other subercars have way to little structure around the frame [or worse some pipes/hollow bars for rear wing] and use way too much composites or bonding (Ferrari, Lambo) or are just small (911). Ever see those Enzo's vaporize.

The GT is big, heavy, and has a solid aluminum space frame.

I would definitely get another GT, same exact color, etc.

ps, did Airbags deploy and help in keeping you in place.

Again, sorry for your loss; luck is on your side.

--------

GT Space alum. frame pic

http://www.aec.org/assets/pdfs/ShwcsFrdGTfinal.pdf

Last edited:

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Rockman count your lucky stars!! Glad both of you are fine. replace that baby asap!!
I will send you a pm how to turn this negative ino a positive.

rocksman

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2006
El Paso
First, very, very sorry.

Believe it or not that was the luckiest day of your life.

My brother is a highway EMT and this (flips, drops, roof/side landings) usually ends in a wheelchair.

I think the GTs natural roll-bar (ie, cage b/w doors/clamshell) and low center of gravity saved you.

This is one of the main reasons I got the GT; most other subercars have way to little structure around the frame and use way too much composites or bonding (Ferrari, Lambo) or are just small (911). Ever see those Enzo's vaporize.

The GT is big, heavy, and has a solid aluminum space frame.

I would definitely get another GT, same exact color, etc.

ps, did Airbags deploy and help in keeping you in place.

Again, sorry for your loss; luck is on your side.

You are right. I had a Ferrari 360 before the GT and Im sure that car would have vaporized after flying in the air and landing as hard as we did. The GT is probably the safest car of this type you can find. I have crashed in BMW's and Porsches that took way more damage in way smaller crashes. The police and everyone else could not believe how well it held up after flying through the air. I probably had half the police force stop by just to check out the car.

Some more shots, first one emphasizes the depth of that arroyo since you cant even see the car in it:

pic35.jpg

pic38.jpg

pic45.jpg

See why they came out of nowhere, No reflectors!
pic36.jpg

Last edited:

rocksman

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2006
El Paso
Maybe consider changing your screen name with your next vehicle purchase?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I really hope that my weak attempt at humor is not in poor taste. My apologies in advance if so. You seem like someone who has a sense of humor and can see the good along with the bad.

The important thing is that you and your friend are okay. Man, that wreck looked awful.

Now that is funny I never even though about it but how ironic is my screen name! :rofl

rocksman

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2006
El Paso
from the looks of these pix the car more than likely could actually be repaired. it would cost major bux, but it can be done. otherwise lots of parts can be salvaged to put to you use on other wrecks to create the ultimate frankestein GT.

Yeah the car looks pretty good in the pics, but not after the tow truck driver got through with it. While draggin it up and over the asphalt he peeled the floor board under the drivers seat like a can opener! You could stick your hand down and touch the ground from the drivers seat floor! :ack

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Yeah the car looks pretty good in the pics, but not after the tow truck driver got through with it. While draggin it up and over the asphalt he peeled the floor board under the drivers seat like a can opener! You could stick your hand down and touch the ground from the drivers seat floor! :ack

from these new pix you have posted here i can see how that would have occured. :frown that terrain has a major can opener effect there. the drivetrain ought to be salvaged though. this car can be parted out. sorry about your loss. i feel your pain man. i am not sure which would be worse - to wreck the car or to watch it being towed out of that ditch afterwards and to see further damage occur.

Last edited:

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Thanks for this post. It is always sad to see the loss of ones GT but great to see its driver and passenger walk away with minimal injury. Again thank you for sharing this unlucky turn of events with us. It is amazing to me that as good as I oringinally assumed this car was that it is even better. The frame link on kayvans post clearly demonstrates the excellence in the design of this vehicle. We have read posts of fellows who have worked on cars may they be stripping them for McLaren, building a Lemans series car, or simply doing mods who attest to the fact of what a fine and amazingly high quality well built vehicle this gt truely is. It seems that as many accident that occur that so few sustain serious injury. I feel lucky to be ongoingly suprised with how good this vehicle is. Sure, some of the items are second rate like the glued on door panels but with the stuff that really counts is top notch. Kudos to FORD on a job well done. Good luck and have fun shopping for a new car and thanks for sharing.