Ford Gt Crash!!! The Car Is An Amazing Testament To Engineering!

rocksman

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2006
El Paso
Well I was in a *small* crash where my GT traveled 27 Feet before landing in a washed out arroyo. I would just like to say that although the car is a total loss it held up amazing in the wake of landing on its side and sliding to a stop. Both the passenger and myself were absolutely fine without a scratch. We were both firmly held in place by the seats and belts and were able to climb out through the passenger door without issue. :thumbsup

pic26.jpg

pic30.jpg

pic29.jpg

pic22.jpg

pic24.jpg

pic19.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
THAT REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack

'Sure glad you're both ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup :thumbsup :cheers

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
What the hell were you doing? Glad you're OK, but pity about the car.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
I'm speechless... Glad both of you are ok.

Manny

H

HHGT

Glad you are okay!

rocksman

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2006
El Paso
Here is the story:

The city had some rains that washed away somes road a few months back.

Well I was visiting a friend on Franklin Mountain and had never been down that way before so on our way to dinner we were headed down a road off the mountain and there were cones in the middle of the street. Well there were no arrows telling you which way to go so I went right of the cones in order to avoid going into the left oncoming lanes. Next thing I saw were two barriers and I swerved around them only to hit a pile of dirt and go airborne then land in that ditch sideways and slide to a stop.

I am contemplating suing the city from what i have learned about the area:

Neither the cones nor barriers had reflectors so that they would be visible at night.

The city had previously posted a police crusier at the location for over a month to direct traffic around the wash out but had removed them due to manpower problems.

The hazard had almost caused this accident before.

The direction of travel around the cones was not clearly marked in any way.

The arroyo had been left in this condition for months without any back fill to prevent a car from falling in.

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Man thats a shame! Hurry up and settle with the insurance, pickins are getting slim for a replacement. Glad everybody was ok. What a ride!

Aug 25, 2006
Not exactly what I would call a "small crash" wow !!

I am happy that you both are fine and even though the gal is sadly a loss she can be replaced. This is one vin number to keep an eye out for as the used gals move through the marketplace.

What a ride that must have been.

Hang in there

Shadowman

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Amazing! Glad you are ok. Rare combo too :frown

Do you plan on replacing with another GT?

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Rocksman,

WOW!!
Sorry to hear [and see the pics] of this misfortune.
Glad you and your passenger are OK.
Looks like you held it together as well as possible considering the situation.
Hope all works out, and you can find a replacement GT soon.

Fred

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
THAT REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! :ack :ack :ack :ack :ack

'Sure glad you're both ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup :thumbsup :cheers

2nd that!!!

Glad you are both safe and sound..

rocksman

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2006
El Paso
I am considering my replacement options right now.

Another GT

Audi R8 (long wait though)

Gallardo

Porsche Turbo

Aston Martin Vanquish

Hard Descisions :confused

rocksman

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2006
El Paso
No matter what Ill buy another GT for my garage in the future because unlike all the other cars this one is actually collectible....

Woboose

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 2, 2006
Malibu, CA
wow

glad you're ok!

Aug 25, 2006
I am considering my replacement options right now.

Another GT

Audi R8 (long wait though)

Gallardo

Porsche Turbo

Aston Martin Vanquish

Hard Descisions :confused

You listed options are all very cool;

R8....... should be a well balanced fun gal to drive.

Gallardo...... they are nice..... a very in your face gal but also rather sedate when it comes to driver feed back. More of a "look at me cruiser" when comopared to the GT. Certainly the GT has the "look at me" factor however it also has the performance to back up the looks.

Porsche Turbo; a true full featured daily driver performance car with very low service concerns

Aston Martin; stunning to look at and a great highway gal but a bit large and heavy for tossing around

The GT...... a true race car moderatley tweaked so as to be allowed on the public roads.

I would say that each of these on your list are very different as such I vote for one of each.

Just my thoughts and yet through it all the fact that you are alright and presently considering your options is the greatest blessing that you shared

Takes care

Shadowman

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Wow! Glad you're both OK! Any guesstimate regarding your speed when you hit the dirtpile? I agree you should go after the city.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
rocksman,

What a disaster, but good you & your passenger are fine. Being slightly claustrophobic I wondered how easily it would be to crawl out of one of these cars. I have considered carrying an automatic center punch to take out the front glass at a time like that. Did you have the passenger window down already?

Pete S.

rocksman

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2006
El Paso
My friend held the Passenger door open and I crawled out then I did the same for him... it was quite easy to my suprise... :thumbsup

rocksman

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2006
El Paso
I was going around 40 MPH when I hit it...

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
My heart is in my gut after seeing that. Glad you both came out of it ok. WOW, what a car!!!