Ford GT & Corvette z06

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/article20060807.htm

Well written article comparing the two American sports cars.

Bill of Factory Five owns both vehicles and does and excellent job in comparing the "goods" vs the "greats" of both cars. Objectively and subjectively.

Lots of side by side facts for many of the cars in the Supercar arena.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks for sharing that Jeff. I thoroughly enjoyed this article on many levels. A very down to earth review, that seems very sincere.

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Great read, thanks for the post!:thumbsup

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks for the post. Bill does an incredibly thorough and accurate assessment of the 2 cars. The '07 Z06 adds hands free cell phone use through On-Star. The Z is a race car with the comfort and amenities of a luxury car. It is not just another Corvette, although that's likely what it will be in a few years. The 1st 2 years production was estimated to be about 13,000 cars.

A Ford is a Ford-A Chevy is a Chevy...my old racing days told me that...there are lovers of both machines, thank God....
...................................F.astest O.n R.ace D.ay ...............................

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Nice article. I also own both cars and I agree with almost everything he says. I only disagree that he "ties" the brakes and handling between the two cars. The FGT kills the Z06 in both departments and I can't understand how anyone could think differently. It's night and day. Less important disagreement, I find the paint quality of the FGT to be noticeably superior. That may be due to too small a sample size (although I have owned 3 vettes in 3 years so that seems like enough to know the trend).

The '08 Z06 improves the steering feel considerably over previous years, although maybe still a smidge below the FGT level. That may just be due to the wider tires.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I also own both cars and I think they both have their strongpoints, with the overall winner being the GT hands down for total car, performance, curb appeal and driving feel all combined. However as a pure track car I lean to the Z06 as it is a little faster in stock form as my timeslips can verify! Actually it is the fastest pure stock car I have ever driven, and now new ones can be bought in the mid 60's price range, make it truly the best bargain I have ever seen for an economy supercar that looks damn good as well IMO.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I also own both cars and I think they both have their strongpoints, with the overall winner being the GT hands down for total car, performance, curb appeal and driving feel all combined. However as a pure track car I lean to the Z06 as it is a little faster in stock form as my timeslips can verify! Actually it is the fastest pure stock car I have ever driven, and now new ones can be bought in the mid 60's price range, make it truly the best bargain I have ever seen for an economy supercar that looks damn good as well IMO.

When you say timeslips, are referring to 1/4 mile?. What did you run in the Z?. I have a C5Z and do drag nights and some closed track with a friend with an 07.

I have driven all three pretty hard. The C6 is such a huge upgrade as a driver than the C5. It feels lighter on it's feet and both steering and brakes are better, as is road noise. It's real hard to find fault with the C6. But when you compare to the GT I think the GT is another notch above in pure chassis refinement. The C6 is still surprisingly good with the same old leaf spring platform.

The GT does not give you the sense of speed that you get from the Z. So it makes the GT feel slower without all the engine noise up front and through the cabin. We did several roll on tests at a motorsports facility. The gearing for the Z I like better that the GT. Depending on what speed/gear you started they swapped places. After about 140 the GT would walk the Z and keep pulling away everytime. But, some times the GT was playing catch up to do it. The C6 has long tubes, air box, tune. With a pulley tune it would not be a contest IMO. Gearing or not.

I really think the chassis is hard to beat in the GT. Turn in, feel and braking are all way better. The downside is visibility with the big pilars. The car also feels smoother on acceleration, while both are strong. Two different weapons for two different purposes IMO. A true GT class car vs. a no worries track day hero at 1/3 the price. The C6 also makes a far better daily driver, but is not as fun to drive IMO. It's more comfortable to drive with all the creature comforts. If my wife would still drive a stick we would have already added one to the stable.

Handling, C5 vs. the C6 with stability control either is super easy to drive fast on a road course, not as much talent required in comp mode. I did think the C5 was better in transition and easier to toss. I also think the C5 comp mode calibration was better. Through the tighter parts of the track the C5 I thought was better overall. But where I would get up some good speed, the C6 shines and the brakes are way better. It's pretty easy to carry more momentum with the C5 out of sweeping turns, but the C6 had the extra power to eventually overtake on any decent length straight section.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Bone stone stock 06 Z06 11.28 at 128.7 First pass ever was 11.32
Bone stone stock 05 Ford GT 11.50 at 126.6

That was the first time out for both cars, I have since pulleyed and tuned the GT with my buddy Jason Heffners tune. I recently bought drag radials for both cars and we are renting MIR raceway monday the 8th and I am going to try and put the Z06 in the 10's bone stock. As for above 140 side by side I can't comment on that? It would not surprise me that the GT would pull up top because it has more HP and rolling the weight would not be nearly the advantage for the Z06 it is from a dead stop. Don't get me wrong I would take the GT over the Z06 in a minute if I had to pick, because to me the GT40 has always been a dream car of mine and new one that we all own is just unreal in my opinion and there is nothing like it. Its just the total package!
How ever the Z06's 427 is the best sounding and the fastest stocker I have ever driven and it looks great and is awesome in its own right! I highly reccomend both!