FORD GT cooling

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
Guys

I ran my GT in the garage today to see what temps it might get up to while simulating sitting in traffic , when it got to 210 degrees I shut it down , do these cars have a temp limiter that will bring on additional cooling with fans or whatever when they hit a certain temp or will the car just boil over

My cobra with more horsepower than my GT runs cool all the time , seams unusual for a modern day supercar to run hot

Thanks for any advise

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
if you haven't already done it, set your cooling fans to come on at the lowest temps possible. mine never gets over 200 degrees even with a 4.0L Whipple making 23 lbs of boost....

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
How do I set the fans ??

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
How do I set the fans ??

You will need to get into the ECU to change it.
I was once worried about the temps on occasion but I have been reassured by more then one expert on this Forum not to be concerned.
Several people have changed the set point. Im sure Torri can help you.http://www.unleashedtuning.com/

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't think the stock tune turns the fans on until 210 to 220F. The thermostat opens at 180F

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I routinely saw the temperatures you are experiencing with the stock tune. With Torrie's tune (and FFRP pulley/full FRPP exhaust) I have yet to see 195 degrees, even in the Florida summer. Even if you don't want to change the pulley (although I suggest installing a pulley), your car will run much better with a tune.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
When mine starts to get hot, I just turn on the A/C. This then starts both fans running continuously and drops temp by 10-15 degrees.
AJB

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I just replaced my Heffner tune with Torrie's 93 Octane one; the car runs much cooler in 90 degree weather and below the 200 degree mark. His tune also flattened much of the deceleration popping I was having with the other tune.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I do have an aggressive low / hi fan schedule compared to stock that everyone seems to like as noted above !

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
The car's ECU will start to turn off cylinders to limit hp at about 242. On the track, I routinely see continuous temps up to and including 240 without adverse effects. I don't like them, but the car doesn't seem to mind. Red line is red line, below is below. Oil and screen samples confirm no ill effects. I do use an alternative oil however.

As to the fan, above 100 mph the fan just gets in the way of good cooling.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
What oil are you talking about John ?

The car's ECU will start to turn off cylinders to limit hp at about 242. On the track, I routinely see continuous temps up to and including 240 without adverse effects. I don't like them, but the car doesn't seem to mind. Red line is red line, below is below. Oil and screen samples confirm no ill effects. I do use an alternative oil however.

As to the fan, above 100 mph the fan just gets in the way of good cooling.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When the car gets too hot it will go into limp mode. Turn your AC on to lower temps.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
When the car gets too hot it will go into limp mode. Turn your AC on to lower temps.
Or get a after market tune from Torrie to turn on the fans are a lower temps even if the A/C is off.