Ford GT buying tips

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Does changing the car from stock have a negative effect on the resale price like it does with some other high end cars? I like the idea of a couple of things I have read that can be done to the car but do not want to adversely affect the value of the car.

This is why most people who mod their car(s) KEEP the stock components. If one feels he can get a better price for the car "stock" and wants to put it back to "stock" to sell it - that's an option.

'Most any power mod done to a GT won't really hurt the car anyway - that is, AS LONG AS ONE DOESN'T PUT ONE'S FOOT IN THE RADIATOR everytime a traffic light turns "green". That's yet another reason to HIRE Shadowman, or the GT Guys, et al to PPI whatever car you're interested in. Their inspections are THOROUGH. It'd be difficult to slip a "thrashed" car by these guys.

'Just my $.04.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I know what I think a PPI must include...
I have covered many of the items I would demand if I was contracting for one.
Personally, I don't need to talk to anyone, just have the car inspected and see copies of the service records.

I understand you know a PPI and what you want in one. :cheers I have not had time to read through all the posts on this subject and now that I know you have posted on the subject I will check out your old posts. You all have a bit more experience at buying the next level of car, hence the reason I started this thread. As much technical info and road tests as you can find on these cars there is no real guide of what to look for, figuring out pricing and how to protect yourself from making a big mistake. When I started thinking of the next level purchase I looked at several of the next level cars. That said I know you get what you pay for and I am willing to pay for quality but I don't want to feel like an idiot making a purchase like this. I want to make an informed decision and know how to deal with the seller.

Doing some research and reading the posts on this Forum made me feel good about the GT but also gave me the impression that this might be a good spot to get some information about the process of buying these cars. On other sites I always felt like they were like "Good luck rookie" and kind of laughing at the fact that this was my first exotic purchase and insinuating that everyone has to pay a ridiculous premium and learn the hard way. While I am willing to pay the price for the car, inspections etc... I see no reason not to try to avoid having my pants pulled down. :ack Nobody likes that feeling especially when you are putting down quite a few dollars.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
This forum is unlike most, it is for owners, team members that built the car, selected sponsors and a few spectators. We try to treat each other respectfully and be helpful.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
There are many folks on this site who are far more knowledgeable about the cars and the purchasing process than I. Nor am I a trained economist.
OTOH, it does seem like factoring a series of probabilities helps to figure out what's best:
Mileage - there's low mileage (1k-5K) and very low mileage (100's of miles). This lowest threshold has to really help your chances;
Mods - depending on the type of mods, it may reflect on the driving habits of the owner. Again, it's all about the odds.
Questions - ask the owner everything. Like any interview, it's all between the lines.
PPI - with some of the best experts on this site, it dramatically affects the probability of success.

Finally, price. I received some great advice from many here on the site before purchasing. Which was, there are only 4,000 of them. It's not a very efficient market. But you have to be willing to move on the right car - nearly regardless of price.

So, I ended up with a 200 mile car, no mods, inspected, and I never saw it in person. No mods and rather pricey. I couldn't talk to the owner - because it was sold at a dealer. I've long forgotten the exact price. But it's been a perfect experience. Couldn't be happier.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Would a Ford dealership be the people to have the car looked at by? .

Uhmmmmm,..., NO, nuf said.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
miles??
well tell me, I have an entire dash console... they have been selling them on ebay.
want a hundred mile car?
stick an entire new pod in....

only a complete ppi... and I always ask for an oil study tells the story...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I would never do such a thing, but there are plenty of people that do it every day.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Planning to drive it probably 1500-2000 miles a year.
If you're going to drive it for enjoyment, it will be really hard to keep the mileage that low. I once said that my biggest complaint about the car was that 100 miles went on every time I pushed the red button. Just too much fun!!
Researching the history of the GT40 and the new GT, Carroll Shelby, LeMans, on the forum and the internet can add a lot to the buying experience and the reasons for buying.
Beyond that, what the other guys said. :cheers

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
PPI's, jeeze. When I bought mine I just walked around and looked at it. Took about a half hour, most of the time talking price. I mean afterall it is just about a new car. This one was the right car, right color, right price. I said I'd take it.
Thats the way I buy most cars, if it's what I want I get it. Of course you do need to know exactly what you want. Like I always tell the kids "If you don't know what you want you'll never get it."

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
PPI's, jeeze. When I bought mine I just walked around and looked at it. Took about a half hour, most of the time talking price. I mean afterall it is just about a new car. This one was the right car, right color, right price. I said I'd take it.
Thats the way I buy most cars, if it's what I want I get it. Of course you do need to know exactly what you want. Like I always tell the kids "If you don't know what you want you'll never get it."

Odds are you're safe doing it that way ONLY if the car is new and sitting in a dealer's showroom. Otherwise, U B takin' yer chances. You could find out the car you THOUGHT was a smokin' good deal will end up costing ya many additional 'thou' to make "right".

It does sound like you've been lucky to this point though. 'No denying that!:thumbsup

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
The PPI would have saved me when I bought my twin turbo NSX a few years ago. The car looked great and the resale dealer seemed reputable. It arrived with a damaged cylinder and was a great car once I did the engine rebuild. :frown Not a cheap mistake and I should have done a PPI prior to purchase but my excitement overtook the rational side of my brain. The problem I feel I am facing now is that the GT has few people qualified to do a good PPI and none of the cars I have found are near any of the experts. I'll know if it drives well and can do a good visual inspection but with such a limited run car I still feel like I am playing russian roulette even though I have done more research on this purchase at this point than all my other car purchases combined. I keep telling myself it will be worth it when that GT is in my garage waiting for the stress relief drives I regularly need.:cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The problem I feel I am facing now is that the GT has few people qualified to do a good PPI and none of the cars I have found are near any of the experts.

That's why airlines exist.

A bad cylinder in a GT will cost ya MUCHO more than flyin' one of the afore mentioned people out to look at/inspect/test AND do an oil analysis on the car you wanna buy, sir.

'Your call. :cheers :thumbsup

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
That's why airlines exist.

A bad cylinder in a GT will cost ya MUCHO more than flyin' one of the afore mentioned people out to look at/inspect/test AND do an oil analysis on the car you wanna buy, sir.

'Your call. :cheers :thumbsup

Oh I get the point. I am just trying to get a deal in place and pre-qualify the car so I don't have GT experts playing where's waldo all over the country:biggrin Aren't most of the '06's still under warranty though? Shouldn't that defer some of the risk?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Warranties don't cover abuse.

We have seen a fgt that was caught in a flood.

Today a post was made about a title washed salvage car.

Seems like your being very short sighted. But, it's your money.
Who said a fool and their money is easily parted?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Unless you are qualified to do a PPI yourself, pay the freight and fly someone in that is. Pass on any car where the seller is unwilling to allow a full PPI. Removing the belly pans and possibility much more! I know of a car 2 GT with at least one bad cylinder that ran fine under most normal conditions. Unless you test drive the car on a track and are familiar with what the car can do, how would you know anything was wrong? 7/8 of GT power is still impressive for the 1st time driver. In addition get the usual CARFAX report, you should pull up the repair/maintenance history from Ford to see of the car has any flags on its record. I know a guy with a Z06 that brought is car into a Chevy dealer for brake warrantee work. The dealer said the brakes failed due to track use and the car warrantee was VOIDED!

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Warranties don't cover abuse.

We have seen a fgt that was caught in a flood.

Today a post was made about a title washed salvage car.

Seems like your being very short sighted. But, it's your money.
Who said a fool and their money is easily parted?

Saw the post about the Alabama GT. I have been PMing with Kendall about checking out a GT I found in the Dupont Registry that is somehwat local to me. I ask questions just to get clarification and always appreciate anyone's input:thumbsup I guess I don't think about abusing something this expensive....but I should. Definitely trying to avoid making a mistake.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
as time goes on and the cars are getting older and pass through more hands, the need for a an thorough inspection is worth its weight in gold, and could save a potential headache, add to the mix that there are finite amount of cars and more than a few that lets just say have not had a cherished life(crashed and repaired) its just a matter of statistic that a buyer is going to come across some of these cars. without an inspetion youre just gambling, and as time goes on the risks become higher. I personally would rather have a car that has 40000 clean miles on it instead on one that was crashed and repaired at 2000 miles,

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Unless you are qualified to do a PPI yourself, pay the freight and fly someone in that is. Pass on any car where the seller is unwilling to allow a full PPI.

Great advise and SOP in the super car world. A complete PPI must include a Carfax, a printout of what the manufacturer's data base shows as warranty work plus leak down, alignment rack check with the belly pans off. Anything less that that is absurd.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
sadly the ppi is always at the expense of the interested perspective buyer.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
sadly the ppi is always at the expense of the interested perspective buyer.

And just as sadly the cost of NOT having one will also be at the expense of the buyer.

So, "You can pay me NOW or pay me (a lot MORE) later", as the old oil filter commercal goes...