Ford GT -- An aberration

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I got off the phone a little while ago with my SRT dealer talking about delivery of my SRT ( no longer Dodge ) Viper , hopefully in January. I am excited about the car because from a techno standpoint it will be the closest thing I own to my 458. All in , a Viper GTS MSRP will be $140K and many dealers will seek a mark up.

I could not help but think, however, in many ways it will likely not please me near as much as my GTs. The GT:

1 is still, 6 years later the definitive American exotic
2 remains the car to beat in the mile, etc
3 is the one car everyone , including the Viper guys , by a large margin, lust after like no other
4 holds its value like nothing else
5 is the first car I go to for a Saturday morning run

It is quite amazing. I can't wait for the Viper, but when I see all those cars Shelby has for sale, I think I would be much better off long term and short term to buy 2--3 more GTs and live happily ever after.

Random thoughts after a truly awful week. (You know why)

Daltondavid

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2007
Garnet Valley, Pa.
Buy another GT. Have one you can go nuts with.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Random thoughts after a truly awful week. (You know why)

The 'irrational' guy might take to drink.

The 'rational' guy might go and buy one of Shelby's inventory and then do a Fubar upgrade on it. :thumbsup

The ROI would likely be higher as well.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Well, you know the Viper will be competitive with a seven year old GT, so have fun with it. I'm sure you are prepared for the depreciation and have not declined social security and medicare. :biggrin

OnLy Me

Jun 26, 2008
Quite obvious you love the GT. Having said that, if you could only own ONE of your current supercars, (not knowing all that you own) which would it be and why?

*Currently shopping for a GT now, and not sure if If the GT will measure up to some of my past cars (other than value rising of course).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Quite obvious you love the GT. Having said that, if you could only own ONE of your current supercars, (not knowing all that you own) which would it be and why?

*Currently shopping for a GT now, and not sure if If the GT will measure up to some of my past cars (other than value rising of course).

So asking this question in this forum is similar to asking for advice on buying a gt500 on the Camaroi forum. But I do not regret buying the gt at all. It is the best handling car I've ever owned. Even better than my csx cobra which was very nimble and fast. Just get the gt

Should you also get a new viper? I'm really impressed with the looks and think it might be fun if I lived where I could drive either year round a viper might be a daily driver

Ps. Not interested in Porsche or Ferrari etc. Aston Martins are gorgeous though as a high performance cruiser

Last edited:

OnLy Me

Jun 26, 2008
So asking this question in this forum is similar to asking for advice on buying a gt500 on the Camaroi forum. But I do not regret buying the gt at all. It is the best handling car I've ever owned. Even better than my csx cobra which was very nimble and fast. Just get the gt

Should you also get a new viper? I'm really impressed with the looks and think it might be fun if I lived where I could drive either year round a viper might be a daily driver

Ps. Not interested in Porsche or Ferrari etc. Aston Martins are gorgeous though as a high performance cruiser
Hmm, sorry if it came off that way (not sure how, but...). Maybe I should have clarified something though. My past few cars have been some great cars for different reasons. All newer models of Audi R8's, Lambos, and the Ferrari brand. Hence my question to the op.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Well, I have to agree mostly with 2 Shelby's , except as to Ferrari -- at least the 458 which is ridiculous. Not big into Lambos or Astons etc.

Having said that, if someone said you can keep one car, it is likely the Heritage. Close between the white GT and 458, but maybe 458. It is academic, however , because unlike the GT, I will NEVER own an F car out of warranty.

OnLy Me

Jun 26, 2008
Well, I have to agree mostly with 2 Shelby's , except as to Ferrari -- at least the 458 which is ridiculous. Not big into Lambos or Astons etc.

Having said that, if someone said you can keep one car, it is likely the Heritage. Close between the white GT and 458, but maybe 458. It is academic, however , because unlike the GT, I will NEVER own an F car out of warranty.
^That is a big concern of mine currently. I love my F car, (Scuderia) but fear a ridiculous repair bill and future depreciation (although the Scuderia has been holding nicely for a while now.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Having said that, if someone said you can keep one car, it is likely the Heritage.

The heritage is a beautiful car. But all gts are. I lucked I to mine. But it's not the color it's the car. But I don't think of a car as an investment either. I got mine for such a good deal that I'll drive the snot out of it. I'm not going to drive it to work every day although I do on a nice summer day but I'm. It worried about taking it out. That said winter is off. To much crap on the roads and the tires even bridgestones on cold concrete don't work so good. But the same rules applied to my Shelby cobra.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have numerous clients that own every car you can think of and their favorite is the Ford GT. I have a showroom full of exotics, including the latest greatest lambos, Ferrari 458, McLarens, etc. my car of choice, and the car in my garage is the Ford GT!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 186

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, what a car. Yellow was one of my choices but the boss thought it was too loud :)

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
FoMoCo said the GT was "The One" in 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ18DkQTRuY

Guess it's still "The One" all these years later.

Amazing.

OnLy Me

Jun 26, 2008
I have numerous clients that own every car you can think of and their favorite is the Ford GT. I have a showroom full of exotics, including the latest greatest lambos, Ferrari 458, McLarens, etc. my car of choice, and the car in my garage is the Ford GT!
May go without saying, but.... your yellow GT is everything I'd want done in a GT. All the c.f. is amazing!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
FoMoCo said the GT was "The One" in 2004.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ18DkQTRuY

Guess it's still "The One" all these years later.

Amazing.

Yes. It's kind of crazy that a 6 year old car still gets major press every week or so. Other cars come and go, but the GT40 and our grandchildren are timeless. All the others are trying to look like ours. Of course, ours are just a Lola great grand child :)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

We have a huge C&C here in NoVA...Katie's...100+ cars...everything, including the latest that dealers bring every Saturday to show off from as far away as Philadelphia...unlimited $$$ in this area...and everyone wants a GT.

Last edited:

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
After My first Rally...I am working on GT #2. A friend of mine just took delivery of an Aventador and saw my GT at lunch in a parking lot. He wanted to stop and take a picture.... With my car. :).

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
Frankfort Ill
If you are truely looking for a GT, you should contact Shelby. Although I haven't bought from him yet, lots of people on here have. I have been to his shop and have recomended him to several, including a friend who just recently bought a Lambo. You won't be dissapointed.

Steve

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I love my Viper Roadster, and I've seen in the new SRT GTS...but Viper's will always be just that. I will test drive the latest one when they're out there, but I don't expect them to give me anything near the same joy and thrill as the GT. 50 years later, and the GT design is still timeless. Nothing turns heads like a GT for some strange reason. I've had the Italian exotics in the past...and while they're quite something, they simply pale next to my GT. It's a unique car in the world or cars/ exotics.

I won't buy the new Viper as I think it looks like an abortion, but looks are subjective in any case. I'm quite sure she'll be the ultimate track champ, as she always has been on the ring...but it's not only about performance, for me anyway. I still have to look at it and enjoy it from that perspective, which I know, I won't.

Each time I stare at my GT's...I get as excited as I was while waiting for my 1st one to arrive. Driving it is a whole other thing. Nothing comes close, for me. I'm no fanboy by any means...I have many vehicles and pretty much the "creme de la creme" in each American supercar, but again...nothing really compares to the GT. I've added a fair bit of power to my white one and while it's quite not as fast as my Ninja ZX14 in straight line performance, it's closer to that than my Viper or my Z.

The next toy I buy will be the MP4-12C...I think she's gorgeous and she has the power to boot!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
getting ready to store the GT for the winter.. sad day ..but a terrible week.

andy (AJB)