Ford Gt alignment

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Does anyone have specs on a good compromise in alignment for a Gt thats going to be driven both in the street and track? My car has been lowered and has wider wheels and Michelin PS2's. If anybody has good info please let me know. obviously Im looking for a setup more aggressive than factory but that doesnt require a new set of tires in 100 miles of street driving.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
you want to talk to shadowman, he knows all

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have forwarded your message to Alex from TA Shocks who with Tom Reichenbach developed the suspension for the FGT. They will reply on this thread.

I will change your tittle to that of Ford GT Owner and welcome you to the board.

Please add your information into the registry above.

Welcome to the Forum, tell us about your ride and what state you live in.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Hmmm, Bony did you forget to mention something?

Hint

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/payments.php

BTW, welcome new FGT owner. Enjoy your new ride and this forum.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Well, if he feels welcome, and the forum helps him, I hope he considers support DBK the forum owner. Thanks for the reminder :)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Here's a table I created with the data I received from Alex a couple of years back.

AlignmentPic.jpg

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Thanks for the info and the welcome. I live in Miami FL. Bought my GT new did some performance upgrades. raced it at the SAAC event 2 years ago. also have other cars, most which Ive modified for better performance. Ive driven preaty much every car out there and currently own Quite a few some of which I track, including Ferrari F40, Ferrari 360, 70 boss 302, Camaro Z/28, NSX, ViperGTS, ect. must say Ive been presently surprised with the GT.

Mase

GT Owner
Dec 23, 2006
Jacksonville, Florida
how much wider are your wheels? Stock Struts?

I've had really good results (stock FGT) at sebring recently with:

Front Toe: -.07
Front Camber: -1.85

Rear Toe: .14
Rear Camber: -2.5

The car was much more responsive w/ these specs over factory specs.

These cars do tend to push.
A little toe out in the front has helped steering response, and helped aid turn in.
Running a little more toe in on the rear has helped stability, especially under braking.

With camber, we've been measuring the temperature across the tire right after a hot lap. I have not tried more than -2.5 in the rear. Its a task learning just how much deflection you have under a hard corner.

Good luck.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dave Baron has some good info. Send him a PM (barondw).

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks for the info and the welcome. I live in Miami FL. Bought my GT new did some performance upgrades. raced it at the SAAC event 2 years ago. also have other cars, most which Ive modified for better performance. Ive driven preaty much every car out there and currently own Quite a few some of which I track, including Ferrari F40, Ferrari 360, 70 boss 302, Camaro Z/28, NSX, ViperGTS, ect. must say Ive been presently surprised with the GT.

you cant be that bad of a guy, after all you have a 70 boss 302:biggrin just kidding with you, welcome, and it is proper etiquette to post lots of pictures of you fine automobiles.(especially the boss)

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Nota4re

Your table is a perfect starting point, Thanks for sharing.

In my opinion, performance alignment settings are a moving target.
The optimum settings will be different based on a number of factors.

The biggest factor is driving style.
And like all modifications what are you willing to comprise?

In the past I would have felt the chart above was the perfect compromise.

But today my preference would lean toward slightly more negative camber in the front.
To quicken the turn-in on a low speed situation.

But then I am willing to buy tires as if they are sporting equipment.

There is nothing like a new sneakers every spring.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Thinking about a book, describing my method to tune a sports cars chassis.

I know there are lots of writers who have been down this path. But I feel others may have missed a few areas or glossed over important items.

(This is the part when the horn tooting begins)

Now that T&A Shocks has won its 5th SCCA Runoffs Championship.
As chassis tuner to the stars, I am beginning to think we are able to figure this stuff out.

(End of horn blowing)

I live and die at the end of my tire pyrometer.
Not one of those surface laser pointers deals (they are useful else where)

A real tire pyrometer with a needle probe that will measure the tread carcass temp.

And just as important is the ability to use it correctly.
As is the ability to use the data to make effective adjustment to make the car and driver quicker than the other guys.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now That T&a Shocks Has Won Its 5th Scca Runoffs Championship.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Congrats Alex!!
Congrats Tom!!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Congrats Alex!!
Congrats Tom!!

I have to second that motion ! :cheers:cheers

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Alignment with Wider Wheels

Does anyone have specs on a good compromise in alignment for a Gt thats going to be driven both in the street and track? My car has been lowered and has wider wheels and Michelin PS2's. If anybody has good info please let me know. obviously Im looking for a setup more aggressive than factory but that doesnt require a new set of tires in 100 miles of street driving.

My car has 10X18 wheels in the front and 13X19 wheels in the rear.

Tires are Michelin 345/30-19 rear and 275/35-18 front.

After 3 times on the electronic alignment rack (Nussbaum, starting from Viper specs), and running the tires over talcum powder to see the contact patch, for street use and maximum balanced contact from center line of tire outward and inward...we arrived at the following for best street wear and balanced street handling:

Front: Camber: -00" 12' Toe: -00"06' Caster: +05" 31'
Rear: Camber: -00"32' Toe: +00"01'

The car handles very well through corners and tracks straight on the street. Contact patch, particularly of rear tires, should result in excellent and balanced wear...and tread depth measurements show this is happening.

Ideal numbers would be a little different, but shim sizes limit adjustment.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Nota4re

The biggest factor is driving style.
And like all modifications what are you willing to comprise?

My wife says I drive like Carl Edwards......and when he made the now famous bonzia move to pass the 48 car and drifted up to bounce of the wall and win.........she said and that is why you will not track the GT........So I replied "and if the track doesn't have walls?????"

She looked over her glasses nad said get one of those glorified go carts like Eddie Hill has and go rip it up or buy a vette to trash.

Last edited:

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
Torrie,

Do you have the shims available for the front? I need more negative.

Bruce

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Torrie,

Do you have the shims available for the front? I need more negative.

Bruce

Yeah, what size qty do you need ? I believe i have 2 2mm and 4 3mm on hand.

I am working from Sarasota right now.

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
Yeah, what size qty do you need ? I believe i have 2 2mm and 4 3mm on hand.

I am working from Sarasota right now.

I don't know. I will have to check the car and do the research. I remember some discussion of red, blue, and black shims. I don't know if you can stack them or how many degrees 2mm makes. I'll measure mine, note the existing shims and send you an email.

Thanks,

Bruce