Ford Debuts All Electric Car

H

HHGT

"Customers who choose an electric vehicle at this point are really making a statement," Kuzak said. "They're making a statement about their environmental sensitivity, their energy independence and we'd like to support them."

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/216086/ford_debuts_allelectric_car.html

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
"Customers who choose an electric vehicle at this point are really making a statement," Kuzak said. "They're making a statement about their environmental sensitivity, their energy independence

Not inclusive of the coal fired electrical generation plant that charged their batteries.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You have to play by the rules you are given. This is part of the game.

p.s, Kuzak is the brains behind the quantum leap Ford cars have taken in the last ten years.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Not inclusive of the coal fired electrical generation plant that charged their batteries.

That is the first thing that I thought.

p.s, Kuzak is the brains behind the quantum leap Ford cars have taken in the last ten years.

This is the second thing I thought!

H

HHGT

I have always wished I could fit "Global Warming" on my license plate...

On a separate note, the Volt sales kicked the Leaf sales' ass for the month of December

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
On a separate note, the Volt sales kicked the Leaf sales' ass for the month of December

Both are almost non-existent and show little. Ford sells 50,000 F-series pickups in a month. Volt and Leaf combined aren't even 1% of that.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Agreed,

I am referring to the people who think their Carbon Footprint becomes zero by driving an E-car.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I won't be buying any electric cars until my electric rates come down and the SUBSIDIES apply to me! IMO that is never going to happen. Just doesn't make a sense at 42 cents a KWH! I don't bring up time of use metering, that would only make my other uses of electricity worst!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm not interested in electric cars period. At least pure electric cars. I can see where a car that utilizes supplemental electric engines like the 918 Spyder could be sweet. Just need to find that spare €500,000 I lost in the couch.

H

HHGT

I won't be buying any electric cars until my electric rates come down and the SUBSIDIES apply to me! IMO that is never going to happen. Just doesn't make a sense at 42 cents a KWH! I don't bring up time of use metering, that would only make my other uses of electricity worst!

Why don't you just mount a Honda Electric Generator to the roof of the car and install an auxiliary gas fuel-tank to supply your continuous battery charging system and be environmentally correct like the rest of NorCal. I know you have plenty of time on your hand so here are some pictures to get you motivated...

Attachments

• solar-golf-car-green.jpg
    solar-golf-car-green.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 75
  • TT_UBI_J_Stokley.jpg
    TT_UBI_J_Stokley.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 76

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
:lolYou funny man Sam.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Why don't you just mount a Honda Electric Generator to the roof of the car and install an auxiliary gas fuel-tank to supply your continuous battery charging system and be environmentally correct like the rest of NorCal. I know you have plenty of time on your hand so here are some pictures to get you motivated...

Sam do you believe in perpetual motion machines? Some idiots do.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Good news. You can pretty much find a free plug anywhere (110 anyway)....until people get wise. Drive to work.....charge up all day on outside garden plug.

Bad news. Green? Really? Where/how do you dispose of those huge batteries?

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I won't pretend to be smart enough to know the particulars but what happened to the Hydrogen internal combustion engines that Ford and BMW developed in the late 90's? We keep the IC engines and have only water vapor as exhaust. I recall the engines ran extremely clean and power production was excellent.

I thought (here comes the ignorance) that Hydrogen is readily produced at nuclear facilities (in addition to green electricity)? I know packaging and distribution are challenges but last time I checked, we were able to send humans to the moon and bring them back.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
For a variety of package/cost/infrastructure reasons, hydrogen fuel cell cars are currently back burner material. If I'm not mistaken, the hydrogen for a fuel cell would come from electrolysis, which would still require electricity generated at a power plant.

I don't think any one version of anything is the winner of the race today. Everyone will be spreading their risk working on electric cars, fuel cell cars, CNG, biofuels, etc. Lots of options, but electric is buzzword right now. If you can find a station, you can run old CNG cars for less than $2 a gallon right now.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
OK but I wasn't thinking fuel cell. Ford had a Mustang test mule that had a Gasoline engine that ran on Hydrogen. Same with BMW. I think they could switch from Gasoline to Alcohol to Hydrogen with the flip of a switch.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Which only makes sense. The Leaf is DEAD at 100 miles. The Volt may only be able to go 40(?) miles on the battery alone, BUT, it can keep right on going (and get 200 MPG or whatever it is in the process).

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
I think your thinking of thr Super Stallion Concept Mustang. That was a really cool car!

H

HHGT

Sam do you believe in perpetual motion machines? Some idiots do.

Dont get me started on idiots. The supply is ample and picking one would give me a headache

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think your thinking of thr Super Stallion Concept Mustang. That was a really cool car!

That sounds right but I thought it had Hydrogen capabilities too?