Floor Jack Adapter w/plans!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Jay

Count me in for 2 please. Very similar to what Vette guys use some of which can be permanently mounted to the car.

Dave

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
count me in for a set.

GT703

GT Owner
Oct 17, 2005
Pennsylvania
Jay,

I am also interested......

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
ITS A MUST FOR MY VALENTINES GIFT, ILL TAKE 4 , DO WE GET COLORS LIKE FUSCIA ECT :biggrin OKAY WHITES GOOD WITH ME. PLEASE FORWARD WHERE TO MAKE CHECK TO , THANKS GTJOEY :thumbsup

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Modified adapter for your lift???

guywwagner said:
Hi Jay,
That sounds good.So good that I'll take 4,that way I can use them to lift the car on my inground 2 post lift.
Thanks, Guy

Guy,

I have a two post lift also, however it's not compatible with my GT. My brother (who's a tripled-certified welder) and I am going design a low-profile swing out arm, since I can't lift the GT nor my NSX with my present setup!

My question is; wouldn't you prefer a square (or round) recess on the bottom of these adapters so that it fits over the pads on your lift? I think that my pads are about 4 inches square. I would feel better if these adapters locked onto the lift pads, since this poly- material is sort of slippery.

Thanks, Jay (949) 366-1211

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I think everyone who owns a GT will want at least one of these ingenious items. The problem is, how do you make one unit that will be a universal fit for everyone's jack? I assume you don't want to make custom one off orders. I look forward to the other products you have in the works. We're fortunate to have you!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
SURVEY, more info needed, please read!

Okay guys, you have spoken!

Before I can give you a cost, it appears that many of you want them for use on your lift. If this is the case, I would prefer that this adapter fit over the pads to prevent this piece (and car) from sliding around if force were applied to the car. This is a safety/liability issue, since this plastic is slippery.

Can you guys give me the dimensions of the pads on your lift? Are your pads square, rectangular or round? It matters, since I will have to decide of what size of material to order. Note in the image below that mine is 5 inches square.

Tomorrow I will check the material cost. I am going to see if my friend can start machining these ASAP. I hope to have a ballpark cost for a single piece and sets of four.

Call me if you prefer. Jay (949) 366-1211

Note in the images below. I had to machine a wood block that fits over and locks onto the pad in order to lift my '23 Model T.

Jays%20lift%20pad%205%20inch.JPG

Wood%20adapter%20in%20place.jpg

Wood%20adapter%20bottom%20view.JPG

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
TEXAS GT said:
I think everyone who owns a GT will want at least one of these ingenious items. The problem is, how do you make one unit that will be a universal fit for everyone's jack? I assume you don't want to make custom one off orders. I look forward to the other products you have in the works. We're fortunate to have you!

Hello Texas GT,

First of all, thanks for the kind words. I really like everyone in the forum. All of you guys are the greatest!

Based on what I have gathered at this moment, I think that I will produce a unit like the one in my first posting. This should work on many standard type floor jacks (I will be measuring some different models tomorrow). I may be able to design a universal adapter that could accommodate all of the popular brands of floor jacks. I would expect someone to purchase only one or two of these since it's made for a floor jack, not a lift. I feel that one of these should be carried in your car, in case you need to do a tire swap or repair at a nearby tire shop.

A second style would consist of a four-pack, which would fit over the pads of the person's lift. Now this adapter needs to be uncut on the bottom side. I hope to hear back from so of you that own lifts.

More to come soon.... Thanks, Jay

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I would like two of the adapters. And I'll buy a jack that matches the final shape if you tell me which one I should buy. Thanks.

RickM

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2005
Boise, ID
I'm interested in 1-2 for a floor jack lift.

Thanks,
RickM

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
lift pads

Jay,
The pads on my lift are flat and large,I'll measure them when I get to my shop this morning.No matter what size though the adaptors would just lay on top of the pads.I use a piece of flat belt cut to size for the top of my pads when I lift anything.It keeps the car from sliding around on the pads and also keeps the lift from scratching the cars.
Guy

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Interesting idea to carry one in the car at all times. But it makes me wonder what the dealer does when they perform service. Do they have a special tool for this, or just scratch the heck out of the car?

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Will find out soon

SuperB said:
Interesting idea to carry one in the car at all times. But it makes me wonder what the dealer does when they perform service. Do they have a special tool for this, or just scratch the heck out of the car?

My guess is that they use a piece of wood or few rags. As far as the special tools, I will try and find out by the end of the week. Jay

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Jay,

I measured the pads on my lift this evening and they are 5" same as yours...I definitely want a set for the lift and one or two for the jacks so I can keep one in the car.

matt

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
ok... fine... I'm in for 2... I'll have to measure the lift

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
SuperB said:

No special tool. They jury rig whatever they can. Some use nothing.

Corvette dealers are required to have the lifting pucks (called hockey pucks by Vette owners) for that purpose.

Dave

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Quick question. If you have a flat in the middle of nowhere and it's too bad to be fixed by the inflator kit, what good will the hockey puck do you without another tire to put on it? There's no reason to jack it up since you'll have to call a wrecker anyway.

Just a thought...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
TEXAS GT said:
Quick question. If you have a flat in the middle of nowhere and it's too bad to be fixed by the inflator kit, what good will the hockey puck do you without another tire to put on it? There's no reason to jack it up since you'll have to call a wrecker anyway.

Just a thought...

Yeah and when the jerk at the tire store goes to jack the car and ruins the frame what do you do then? Also never use a wrecker only a flat bed.

The puck is for your insurance and peace of mind. Will it be infalliable of course not. Will it protect the car in most situations yes.

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Great idea! I'd like at least two (for a jack)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Texas, my car cover in a bag is not much use in the event of a breakdown, nor is my wife. However, I carry both around with me.