GT 38, Welcome to the forum!

And great advise, dad. :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Shelby, my best advice is to fit your belts as best as you can at home before you go, with helmet on. I ended up moving the steering wheel closer to the dash than in my normal driving position. Drivers side mirror adjustment was also hard. Close the door with your shoulder straps off or at least very loose, otherwise you can't reach it. Last best advice, don't puke with your helmet on unless it's open face.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I learned a few things about GT induced motion sickness on the Targa rally. At the end of one stage I literally jumped out of the car (while it was slowly rolling (very slow neutral roll) and ran over to the embankment. After spending a few minutes collecting myself another car came up behind us. The co-driver of that car could clearly see what was affecting me and she handed me a spray bottle. Apparently this mouth spray prevents any motion sickness and does not make you drowsy. Well, it works wonders and I am very frustrated that I can not remember the name. I have actually been thinking about this for about a week as we are beginning preparations to send our car back to New Zealand for the 2008 rally.

This is not what I used but it is a similar aid.

http://www.marvgolden.com/health-safety/vitamist.htm

Also, and this one sounds like voodoo magic, I would recommend the motion sickness wristbands. I don't know how they work but they seemed to help me. By the end of the week I had tried just about everything and found these two aids to work the best.

http://www.landfallnav.com/-sms01.html

Last edited:

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I ordered both items above. Better safe than :ack

And Frank, I'll actually be driving my new SuperSnake this time, I still don't have the GTX1's back yet. Someday though......

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Frank...you're a pussy.

couldn't resist...:lol

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Mention pussy and Chris reappears!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good one Manny!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
motion sickness aids

I use the electric wrist bands for motion sickness. On a particular nasty day at sea, during my last cruise, everyone was sick but me. I ate a huge burrito in front of my wife until she turned green but I was fine! I tried the pressure wrist band but it didn't do it for me. The electric ones work on the same principle as the pressure ones but are more hard core. The one I have has different levels you can adjust but I have seen ones without the adjustment. I'm ready for that tandem P-51 flight now!!!

Ed

PS They work great when you get those really dizzy hangovers too!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mention pussy and Chris reappears!

Low blow Manny...

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
The bands work for some and not for others. If you drink enough sea water nothing will keep you from tossing your cookies. We use to chew gum when we raced open ocean beach cats to stop the gag reflex. But on rough days nothing worked ... the bad part was the boat was sponsored by one of the makers of the bands. So we would toss before hitting the beach so not to embarrass the company. Hey, you do what you have to do to keep the sponsor.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Frank...you're a pussy.

couldn't resist...:lol
+1 :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Low blow Manny...

Glad to have you back:thumbsup

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Frank, I went out today and had a great time! (See post on GT500 thread "Kids are home".) Didn't puke even when I went with the instructor in his car. Though I was sweatin' pretty bad! :wink

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
#18, I have actually developed a head cold this week, so that may have been my first symptoms last weekend. I'm going to take the advice from this forum though, and I'm thinking of combining the shocking shift light (see Stormcat's thread on shift light) with a motion sickness bracelet. This way I can combine a shot to the butt and the wrist at the same time. That should get my attention. Did they let you get out of third gear?

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I had the supplies just in case. Sorry to hear about the head cold. I'm still trying to shake the one I've had for more than a week.

And yes, I got to 4th. 115 was the best I did down the front straight. The backside straight was too short, went into 4th but did not achieve the 100's before having to set up for the corners.

Last edited:

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
Jmo

Instructor then took me out in his Z06 Vette...
I would never ride in another person's car unless they have unquestionable driving skills (i.g., Boris Said) and complete safety equipment (full roll cage, five-point harness, fire system, etc.). It just takes one blown right front tire to send you into the wall (Nascar rovals run counter-clockwise). Everyone is aware of the Carrera GT/Ferrari incident?

I'd also suggest that one should attend a recognized driving school before taking out a FGT on the track. IMO, it is impossible for a new track-driver to learn proper car control and track technique in a FGT.

I use every safety item that I can:
Sebring07b.jpg

A cool suit does help you keep a good focus during warm weather:
Sebring07a.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I was wearing a cool Armani suit. The gentleman driver.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Too Cool

Doc - You are too cool!

Ed