Fixing wrecked GT

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
Well, I took delivery of my GT 4 days ago and I have put a total of 40 miles on it and an 84 year old lady backed into the drives door today in a parking lot while I was in the car waiting for someone to get in the car! I think I am still in shock. I called the GT customer service hot line and asked it I could send it back to the factory for a new door and repairs. The very nice lady said that if the dealership does not feel comfortable handling the repairs then they would be more than happy to bring it back to the factory and take car of it.

My question is has anyone had to send their car back to the factory for body repairs and if so how do I handle it and were you happy with the work?

Thanks

JCO1966

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Very sad story. I think having the factory do it is a great idea.
Best of luck. Steve :ack

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hope you get your baby fixed..
make sure you get compensated for deminshed value.

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
Thanks Steve. I will let everyone know how it goes.

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
Thanks Bony I have already thought about that but how do you come up with that value?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I know some of you may not like this but, If there isn't any frame or structure damage, the work is done at the factory with factory parts and factory paint in a factory spray booth....... I don't know if I would say anything.

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
True Steve but it will always show up on car fax! If I ever desided to sell it It would hurt the value don't you think?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
JCO1966,

What part of the country do you live in? The GT is Aluminum. If you can find a body shop that is local and specializes in Jaq's or other high end cars such as Lambo's - they can probably deal with.

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
I live in Greenville, SC.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
What color is the car?

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I thought you lived in Florida. I thought all the old people in land cruisers were here. :willy

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
My car is black no stripes.

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
the damage really is not back. Luckly the lady just rolled into my car. The damamge is very small and could be fixed without a new door but I am not crazy about having a repaired door. That is why I want to send it back to the factory and have them put a new dooe on the car with my factory VIN number.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Is there a vin number on the door??

Diminished value statement needs to be done by an senior member of appraiser association that specializes in automobiles. If the report shows up in Carfax and it most likely will your car lost thousands of dollars in value.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
The reason I asked was it's possible I will have a spare door in the near future but it's white with stripes and I think I will be keeping it. I picked up a brand new drivers side door (without all the goodies attached - window, trim, speaker and paint etc) for around $2,500.

Will the insurance company pay for diminished value? I have never heard of that being the case.

k4site

Jun 15, 2006
Phoenix
Her insurance will only pay to repair it, not replace it with a new door. Secondly it will not show up in car fax because the repair was small and did not damage the frame ect. Factories make cars not repair them I think you will be out of luck there.

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
That sounds great but most unusual. Ive never heard of such a practice by a USA manufacturer.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Factory Repair!

k4site said:
Her insurance will only pay to repair it, not replace it with a new door. Secondly it will not show up in car fax because the repair was small and did not damage the frame ect. Factories make cars not repair them I think you will be out of luck there.

In this case you can get your car repaired at the factory.

The GT is painted and assembled into a rolling chassis at SSV. A Steve Selen
Company that was formed to build the GT. And Yes they do repair work for Customers.

Also the GT Guy has also done some major body repairs. They are real magicians with the Ford GT. repairing cars that most thought were scrap.
Completely changing out the bent frame for a new one (A huge job). With show quality results. Check it out, the most experience with the GT period.

http://www.thegtguy.com/

Last edited:

JCO1966

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 22, 2006
Greenville SC
Thank you VERY much MR2. I think I will contact Saleen as well as Ford.

Take care,
JCO1966