First sight of a Ford GT

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What color was the first Ford GT that you saw, in person and when? Not the first GT 40 in the 60's. Present GT. The first one I ever saw was in 2003 in September at a Ford Dealer meeting in Las Vegas in a stage. It was yellow with black stripes and had GT40 on its sides. It had a 4.6 liter V8 and Ford would not allow anyone to see the engine or interior. A driver drove it on stage and Bill Ford walked out on stage and Asked the dealers " Do you think you can sell this vehicle"? There was a 15 minute standing ovation by all. I knew that day I had to have one if possible. It was beautiful and reminded me of the first Ford GT40 we had at our dealership in 1973-74. 32 years and 2 weeks later I owned one, and my dream came true.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I saw a yellow/black stripe heading south on I-75 just below Atlanta in early 2005. What a sight.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Blue/White in the showroom of Bill Pierre Ford in Lake City (Seattle), Wa. ...1st week of July, 2006.

By the end of that 1st week (Friday), #1079 was backing out of a transporter at my place.

(As I've shared before, the instant I walked thru the showroom doors the car said, "Hello, Larry"...and it was all over for all intents and purposes.)

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It was before I got mine, in oct 05, so maybe winter 04, red one, was in the ford booth at the Boston auto show.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Red 4 option at Gene Evans Ford in South Atlanta a fairly early release. Roped off so you could not get real close. Close enough for me to catch the "bug" which germinated for 6 years before I bought the cure.

I saw only one other on the road for the next 5 years but at the Mecum Indy in 2011 they had a red no stripe and it was the first time I ever got close to really check it out and I knew the time had come. It took about 60 days of serious looking before I found mine in New Hampshire. First time to sit in one and could not even test drive because of rain. My best purchase ever and the people who we have gotten to know is and added bonus and just as important.

Last edited:

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Blue with white stripes at a distance at the auto show, it was up on a stage. The next one I saw was red and I bought it.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Mine. Silver w/black stripes in 2008.

I flew from Alabama to Wisconsin to pick it up, sight unseen. It turned the corner and headed towards me in the drop off / pick up road of the Airport. First one I'd ever seen in person was the one I purchased, I will never forget it. Pictures do not convey how low and wide the car looks against 'normal' cars. That was a good day.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I had heard that the FGT was coming out and been following it in the trade magazines etc. At the time I was actually doing business with Ford. I tried every thing I knew to try and get on the list for an FGT, I even offered to discount the license fees on our product 2 to 1 in exchange for a FGT. No way - No how! The first one I saw was a white one with blue stripes at the Woodward Dream cruise I think 2004. It was under a tent and surrounded by a blue rope. I picked up the Ford GT40 bumper stickers, cup circles and some brochures they were giving out and framed them when I got home! When the first retail versions came out and I saw the prices they were going for I got discouraged. Man, I may never have one of these I thought. As I followed sales over the next year and a half I saw that the prices were falling and they were sitting on dealer lots a little longer. When a friend of mine bought a used FGT out of Tucson with about 4k miles on it for 20k under MSRP I started thinking this might be my time. In May of 2006 I found a Heritage at a Blue Bonnet Motors in New Braunfels Texas on Ebay. I was able to talk them into sticker price. I went in to my accountant and told him I needed to buy this car and he needed to find the money, He said "well you don't really need it." to which I responded " Like hell I don't! This is the holy F#$king grail! I NEED this car!" a week later my son and I flew from Phoenix to Texas to see the car and sign the papers. The dealer pulled it off the show room and we drove it to a restaurant where the dealer had arranged for us to be treated to a nice dinner on him. When we were done it went right back on the showroom floor and we flew back to Phoenix. Three days later I picked it up at Reliable in Phoenix.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
January 2006 - White Blue Stripe - Daytona International

I was in Daytona for 2006 Rolex 24 race. Leaving the infield after Wednesday practice. My nephew and I were in a rental Mustang going through the tunnel.

Heard some very wonderful motor sounds. But we we behind a box delivery truck so couldn't see the car. But we just "knew" it had to be something very special.

Got a peek-a-boo look as the GT was near the top of the slope. Fortunately he had to stop and wait for the traffic light. Managed to follow him for a couple of miles. Magic!

6 weeks later my GT was in my driveway. Still is as a matter of fact. With more than a few miles on it. Still has the Magic!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Red with stripes at a Ford dealership in Conroe, TX in late 2005. It was the dealer's personal car, and was parked in the service lane. I gave it a thorough look over with a service writer watching my every move. I had all the magazines with articles on the car, and the poster on my office wall at work, and screensaver. Yes, I wanted one badly but not at the prices they were selling for. I started looking seriously in August/Sept 2006 and found one at Lone Star Ford in Houston. Went into the dealership and they had five on the floor!! I was wavering on Red, to match my 427 Cobra, or Heritage, and they had 5 colors, including Red and no Heritage. Let me sit in it and start it, and then we started dealing on it. Got it for under sticker which according to websites was a good deal. Almost 7 years later, I go out to the garage and just look at the car....cant believe I have one.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I first saw the prototype at the Detroit auto show. It was yellow black stripe with GT40. I didn't think they would make it, but I knew if they did make the GT I had to have one! So glad Ford built our GTs!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Red, White, and Blue, at the Ford Centennial in 2003.

Since I had followed and loved every minute of Ford's triumphs in the 60's, when I saw them, I just knew I had to have one.

My experience was very much like Jimmy's. A long time of frustration over marked-up prices, and tireless effort by my son to identify available cars, finally ended with a local dealer having the beauty that is in my garage.

Best and most enjoyable decision I ever made.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
First one I saw was at Charles Gabus Ford in Des Moines, IA sometime in March-April of 2005. Red with all options. All roped off and only in the dealership for delivery. I'm still working on getting mine, but I know that nothing else will suffice. It really is the "the one".

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Yellow GT

Black GT, Was this the GT?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 172

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
In July 2006 I was signing papers to order a new (2007) Shelby GT 500 at a Ford dealer in Seattle....on the way out, I passed by a FORD GT in the show room (grabber blue with an orange clown mask on it) and made the mistake of sitting in the thing. That got the gears turning in my head and decided I had to have one. Three months later I sold my 70 BOSS 429 to make room for my new FGT in the garage.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Second GT 40 seen at a dealer showing one year later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 175

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
March2004.jpg

March, 2004 at the Minneapolis Auto Show.

No way I could get one at that point in my life (complicated), but first site confirmed I'd own one someday....

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
SEMA 2004 when Ford had a white/blue GT cut in half and you could walk through the middle of it and see how well made it was.

First time seeing a running GT was 2006 on the 101 outside Phoenix and a Black/Stripe delete was cruising by.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
i dont remember exactly when I saw my first ford gt it must have been out on the street somewhere, I know I didnt go to a show or a dealership just so I can see one, but I can tell you I had never laid eyes on a black no stripe ford gt until the day mine arrived when I got to my friends dealership to pick it up I just stood there starring at it for 15 minutes. I was so scared to drive it.....

then I brought it to you to do the axel bolts :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I was so scared to drive it....

LOL! 'Took me a WEEK and a DAY!