First Oil Change

GT350H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 3, 2006
Portland, Oregon
My GT arrived approximately 6 weeks ago and I am now quickly approaching the 1000 mile mark. I am taking the GT to track day next week at Portland International Raceway, so I wanted fresh oil and be able to check everything out with the underbody panels removed.
First of all, the local Ford dealer, who I did not purchase the GT from, sells and services Saleens, so they have a good reputation working on high performance vehicles. I also "interviewed" the service department and mechanics before deciding I would trust them to work on the GT. This was their first GT oil change, so I wanted to be there while they did the work. Thanks to the many great members of this site, I had printed off the oil change instructions and made a list of all the other issues many of you have provided. I was pleased to see the dealer had also copied the pertinent pages from the GT service manual and really had their act together. The oil change was a really big event; almost like a party. At one point I counted 7 mechanics under or around the car. We did not find any oil or fluid leaks and all fittings, nuts and bolts were tight. Using the recommended 5W50 Ford oil, along with the filter and O ring, the total charge was $213. Once the fresh oil was in and before the underbody panels were reinstalled, I got in the car, fully depressed the gas pedal and turned the engine for 20 seconds. I then took my foot off the pedal, pushed the start button again and the engine instantly roared to life and immediately showed approximately 70#'s of oil pressure. I have a 4 post lift, so I may do the next oil change myself, although my experience was so positive, I may have the dealer do it next time.
On a different subject, I had my 4 post lift installed just before the GT arrived. As another forum member mentioned recently, I chose the BendPak HD-9 lift. This lift is wider than the normal lift, with 106 3/4 inches of width between the columns, so the GT's wide body, including mirrors, fits with plenty of room to spare. This particular lift is rated at 9000# lifting capacity and has some safety features many other lifts do not have. The lift, delivery and installation was $2790. Certainly a lift to consider.
At a later date, I can share my positive experiences with the 3M Clearshield installation and RaceDeck flooring. By the way, as all of you already know, the GT is everything I had imagined it to be and more!
Again, thanks to all with the great posts and information.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Great post, thanks for the good information. You sound like you're set, you've got a great relationship with a skilled dealer and the Bendpak rig. Thanks for sharing! :cheers