First Oil Change

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Today was a fun day. Took the GT in for the 1,000 miles oil change. 1,336 to be exact. 6-1/2 days since delivery. Lots of smiles. WOW and addictive are the words that come to mind.

The day started like this. It took 3 hours to get it on the lift. Finally they took my advice, which I learned on this web site, and low and behold it went right on without muss or fuss. The same dealership in Kent, Wa had delivered the very first private GT. You know the 500k auction car. The Ford Factory Guru's were there and told them how to put it on the lift. And of course the lift broke three or four of the plastic thingys under the car. Somehow the replacement parts arrived very quickly so delivery could be made as promised.

Mine is the only otherone they had to put on the lift, and of course they were very afraid of breaking something like the first time. And of course I was all smiles as the cluster F*** was going on. I eventually lost count but I think the lift discussions involved about 15 employees. Sales, service writers, Service managers, shop foremen, 6-8 mechanics and me.

In at 7:30 and out at 1:30. The actual work only took about 20 minutes. And being the nice guy I am, I took the service tech. Brian out to lunch.

Actually I tossed him the keys and said let's go for a driving "leak check". We got back to the shop in about 90 minutes. No lunch but he finlly got to drive the car. Method to my madness was: 1) If he broke it he'd have to fix it, 2) If I break he'd have to fix it and 3) by his having seat time behind the wheel he would be better able to understand what I feel as a driver should there be any difficulties down the road. And finally I want others to enjoy what I get to do everyday - drive the GT rather than just go for a ride.

Then I took the service writer, Debbie, in her first ride in a GT. We went to the A&W for a rootbeer float. Curb service no less. Now I'm in very good standing with the whole dealership. I've invested a bit into insuring that I get great service when ever I need to bring it in. Win Win for everyone.

I'm off on a 3,500 mile road trip tomorrow. Spokane, Boise, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Palm Springs(gotta visit the golf clubs) and then home in time to race in the first Vintage event of our year. I've already schedule the second oil change. I am betting large $$ that it will be much faster than the first one.

Having Fun In Seattle,

PL501*Jeff

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
Smart thinking in buttering up the dealer, so to speak. I am sure it will come back 10 fold. Besides its just a nice thing to do!! :cheers

Pipelion

Jeff,

Slippery start :biggrin :biggrin ,

Allan

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
PL510*Jeff said:
Today was a fun day. Took the GT in for the 1,000 miles oil change. 1,336 to be exact. 6-1/2 days since delivery. Lots of smiles. WOW and addictive are the words that come to mind.

The day started like this. It took 3 hours to get it on the lift. Finally they took my advice, which I learned on this web site, and low and behold it went right on without muss or fuss. The same dealership in Kent, Wa had delivered the very first private GT. You know the 500k auction car. The Ford Factory Guru's were there and told them how to put it on the lift. And of course the lift broke three or four of the plastic thingys under the car. Somehow the replacement parts arrived very quickly so delivery could be made as promised.

Mine is the only otherone they had to put on the lift, and of course they were very afraid of breaking something like the first time. And of course I was all smiles as the cluster F*** was going on. I eventually lost count but I think the lift discussions involved about 15 employees. Sales, service writers, Service managers, shop foremen, 6-8 mechanics and me.

In at 7:30 and out at 1:30. The actual work only took about 20 minutes. And being the nice guy I am, I took the service tech. Brian out to lunch.

Actually I tossed him the keys and said let's go for a driving "leak check". We got back to the shop in about 90 minutes. No lunch but he finlly got to drive the car. Method to my madness was: 1) If he broke it he'd have to fix it, 2) If I break he'd have to fix it and 3) by his having seat time behind the wheel he would be better able to understand what I feel as a driver should there be any difficulties down the road. And finally I want others to enjoy what I get to do everyday - drive the GT rather than just go for a ride.

Then I took the service writer, Debbie, in her first ride in a GT. We went to the A&W for a rootbeer float. Curb service no less. Now I'm in very good standing with the whole dealership. I've invested a bit into insuring that I get great service when ever I need to bring it in. Win Win for everyone.

I'm off on a 3,500 mile road trip tomorrow. Spokane, Boise, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Palm Springs(gotta visit the golf clubs) and then home in time to race in the first Vintage event of our year. I've already schedule the second oil change. I am betting large $$ that it will be much faster than the first one.

Having Fun In Seattle,

PL501*Jeff

smart moves... what a diplomat :thumbsup

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I'm curious. Why would you change the oil at only 1,000 miles?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Lemansz,
I don't want to speak for PL510*jeff, but the reason I will change mine at 1000 miles is because during break-in, small metal filings resulting from new parts "fitting in" can contaminate the oil. Undoubtably, this is less of an issue now than in the "old days".

Yes, the oil filter SHOULD catch these metal filings, but it is cheap insurance to ensure happy, long term and trouble free engine operation.

Eric

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Generally, I would agree, but Ford doesn't recomend it and the oil is syntheitc...given the hassle of changing oil in this car, I for one will wait, I think it's complelty uncessary and the least amount of time my GT spends with the Ford dealer, the better I feel...

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Jeff,
Where are you going to store your luggage on a long trip??? Are you bringing a passenger?

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Would you recommend a time period override on the oil change. Say 6 months or would you stay at 3,000 miles no matter how long it takes?

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
once a year, 7,500 miles, which ever comes first

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The 2005 owner's manual says 1 year or 5000 miles, which ever comes 1st. The additives needed to make a 5-50 oil, are not as stable as a less extreme range oil like 10-30.

BlackICE

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
What's the issue with getting the car on a hoist? I would sure like to avoid this hassle if I can. :confused

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
BlackICE said:
The 2005 owner's manual says 1 year or 5000 miles, which ever comes 1st.

Regardless of what the manual says, I would do my first oil and filter change at 600 miles and every 3000 miles thereafter. I know there is a lot of controversy regarding oil change intervals but I do it for piece of mind and I like working on my car. Regardless, it can't hurt!

I have 154,000 miles on my NSX and change the oil and filter religiously. The motor is still as strong as when she was new as confirmed by a recent compression/leak down test. I also use Auto Rx in the NSX. The stuff is amazing. When the valve covers were recently removed for adjustment, I couldn't believe how clean the motor looked. I plan on using Auto Rx in my GT as well.

I use Amsoil oil but they still don't have a 5W-50 formulation as recommended for the GT.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Regardless, it can't hurt!

Maybe, but it may not be beneficial. You mentioned having an NSX and in this car, changing the oil early, although maybe not detrimental, is NOT advocated by American Honda. In fact, the head NSX Tech in the country (the one responsible to solve all of the problems the dealers cannot solve), will advocate to leave the initial engine oil in an NSX for 10,000 miles, where possible. Although widely disputed, the claim is that Honda is using a Honda-specified additive recipe in the "break-in" oil. This head tech will go to his grave claiming insider knowledge - but the debate continues.

I would doubt that Ford is using anything special in the GT engine for break-in, but it is possible.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Good Day All- finally got to a computer, dial up no less, and wanted to respond to a couple of questions.
1) The reason I did the first oil change at 1,000 is because I always do that with new motors. I'm sure that the GT motor has been filled and flush a couple of times bfore I took delivery, however the "could" be tiny particals of whatever that only show up after a bit of running. Other than the time it took to get the car on the drive on lift, I consider this to be cheap insurance for long term duribility. Besides that the first oil change at my dealer was free.

2) I'm traveling alone, small case into passenger footwell andsoft bag on the seat. Not pretty but it works just fine. I've invited my sister to be in Detroit for the Gala event. She's flying in from Florida. More than likely a cab from the airport will be inorder. She is a car person:1957 MGA Coupe (actually my first car in high school), 1967 Camaro Indy Pace Car and a 2006 C6 Corvette with 6 speed and Z-51 suspenstion option.

3) I currently have 3,850 miles on the GT. Flawless running. It is the only vehicle I have ever owned that has exceeded my expectations. Still have another 1,500 miles before I get home. Then it Will be time for the 5,000 oil change. All since March 14th.Most of the current miles were in either rain or snow. Only had four days of really good weather so far.

Best Regards,
Keepp it Rubber side down and get it out of the garage.

PL510*jeff

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I for one agree 100% with notra4re...no need to change this oil so soon...waste of everything, including having somneone dig into my car..

Hugh

Mar 27, 2006
nota4re said:
In fact, the head NSX Tech in the country (the one responsible to solve all of the problems the dealers cannot solve), will advocate to leave the initial engine oil in an NSX for 10,000 miles.

That was before they took away his crack pipe. :biggrin

The owner's manual recommends every 7500 miles or 6 months and 3750 miles under "severe" conditions.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Are you sure it was a crack pipe and not a cracked head?

Dave