First Gauge Failure

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents - after 7 yrs - have my first gauge failure :(

Someone who won't be named (...because it was...me...), left the ignition key partly turned on in the car for a several days while parked in the garage, more or less draining the OEM battery. We pulled the battery and hooked it up to a low dose charger for a bit, then after it showed some decent voltage, plugged it into Battery Tender and left it connected for a day or two until the light turned green on the Battery Tender (meaning fully charged). All seemed fine as car is starting and working fine - drove 100 miles today. Unfortunately, today just noticed that my temperature gauge is dead. All others working fine.

Wondering if there might be anything I can try do to bring the gauge back to life, before having to change it?

If it can't be revived, I also am wondering how difficult it is to change the gauge (as sadly no nearby GT experts), and if I should just put in the single needed OEM gauge or go Speedhut.

I know there are a lot of threads on gauges, and some stuff may have been covered, but any specific advice appreciated.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Crap. :( No advice, only opinion. I'd give the Autometer analysis at least a couple of months before doing anything. Gauges are over-rated (except tach).

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Despite the indication of a 'recharged' dead battery, I'd go buy a new battery and see if that revives the gauge before plopping down the cash for an OEM replacement or the Speedhuts.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I also recommend a new battery before giving up on the OEM gauge. Remember, Jason Hefner is in Sarasota, an easy 3.5 hour ride from you for installation.

Howard

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Have had 3 GTs and no gauge issues until a month ago. Was cocky thinking my Odyessys batteries were the answer.

Shelby suggested a new battery as a "can't hurt " response . Got the Sears Platinum which is same as Odyessy and gauge came back to life-- for now. Worth a try.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Die Hard Part Number is: 22850080 $219.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The Optimas do not come back. Get a new battery first before you try to swap out any gauges, I have had all my gauges go out in the gray car and come back with a good battery

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There are two - presumably completely different "gauge issues" that are commonly confused.

1. At each start-up the gauge control module attempts to communicate with each gauge. If one or more of the gauges fail to check-in, they will be ignored for that entire on-sequence. One of the known causes of gauge check-in failure is low battery voltage. Typically, owners will notice one or more non-operative gauges and after running the car for even a short while (with the alternator is blasting away), a simple re-start will solve the anomoly. If you've started your car 2-3 times and the SAME gauge is always inoperative, then it is NOT an initialization problem but a bad gauge. No amount of magic dust, battery switching, etc. is going to bring it back. Game over.

2. Of course this other "gauge issue" is the infamous bad gauge problem. When they're gone, they're gone. Again, if the gauge doesn't initialize after 2-3 re-starts you can forget going out and buying a new battery, etc. as it is too late.

Just had my fuel gauge die. First, it read lower than it should have when I turned the ignition on to check the odometer mileage (with trickle charger connected!), then the next time I started the car it was dead, stuck on E. Battery has been on a C-Tek trickle charger all the time when the car has not been running. I guess I've been fortunate, this is only the second gauge that died. My boost gauge died last summer while I was driving the car and is now stuck on 8 pounds. I don't see any point in buying new OEM gauges until (unless) Ford fixes their problem. New Speedhut gauges and a new battery will be installed next week!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Just had my fuel gauge die. First, it read lower than it should have when I turned the ignition on to check the odometer mileage (with trickle charger connected!), then the next time I started the car it was dead, stuck on E. Battery has been on a C-Tek trickle charger all the time when the car has not been running. I guess I've been fortunate, this is only the second gauge that died. My boost gauge died last summer while I was driving the car and is now stuck on 8 pounds. I don't see any point in buying new OEM gauges until (unless) Ford fixes their problem. New Speedhut gauges and a new battery will be installed next week!

Stock battery? As been mentioned elsewhere before, try replacing the battery first before dishing out the cash for a new gauge cluster. You're changing the battery anyway, so it can't hurt to try that first.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
There are two - presumably completely different "gauge issues" that are commonly confused.

1. At each start-up the gauge control module attempts to communicate with each gauge. If one or more of the gauges fail to check-in, they will be ignored for that entire on-sequence. One of the known causes of gauge check-in failure is low battery voltage. Typically, owners will notice one or more non-operative gauges and after running the car for even a short while (with the alternator is blasting away), a simple re-start will solve the anomoly. If you've started your car 2-3 times and the SAME gauge is always inoperative, then it is NOT an initialization problem but a bad gauge. No amount of magic dust, battery switching, etc. is going to bring it back. Game over.

2. Of course this other "gauge issue" is the infamous bad gauge problem. When they're gone, they're gone. Again, if the gauge doesn't initialize after 2-3 re-starts you can forget going out and buying a new battery, etc. as it is too late.

Paragraph one is spot on. Exactly my experience.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Good advice, I had my battery die, a year ago, did not have the tender engaged enough to keep it charge, Ran the same routine, got the battery up to charge, nothing worked right. If by chance you are coming up on any smog recert, get new battery, drive the car between 45-65 MPH for about 100 miles to reset the O2 sensors. Don't just run it in for a smog check, you will fail it.

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
I did the same thing.Good thing I just installed a new set of Speed Hut Gauges,and I wound up putting a couple of small blemishes on both of my front quarter panels.So the shit just never stops. So if any one know of a really good dent man let me know. I live in Cocoa, Fl. now..The moral of my story is it don`t mean shit,it can be fixed.So don`t sweat it Jaxgt.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I wound up with 2 dead, I got one replacement, but didn't install it. I just went speedhut. Until there is a resolution to the OEM, I didn't not want to throw money at something that might just happen again. Install is not too bad, I did it. If the OEMs get resolved, I hope to go back to stock, but not holding my breat. Happy now to have all working again.