First Drive

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS TO GET PROTECTIVE CLEAR FILM ON THE UNDERBODY?

No, lots of members plan on protecting the underbody.

Chip

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
After viewing the underside photos I will be doing top and bottom... not sure how much protection it will offer though with accidentally getting rocks or other road debris hitting it?

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
The only way to effectively preserve and protect that beautiful underside is to fab a set of thin aluminum bottom panels. However, you won't be able to see the nice CF anymore. I wished I had this problem to confront with....

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
maybe a few sheets of plexiglass :)

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
No, lots of members plan on protecting the underbody.

Chip

Having seen the underbody. I will likely get it wrapped. However, the vulnerable parts are already wrapped -- Underside of the doors behind the front wheels, and the Diffuser from the 2nd vertical vane out behind the rear wheels (apologies for the out of focus photo):

Attachments

• IMG_2600.jpg
    IMG_2600.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 494

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
BEAUTIFUL PICTURE!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
What Roketman said!

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Has anyone explored getting another set of belly pans?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
How about making a complete lower protector panel of plywood or steel? LOL

Ed

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
BEAUTIFUL PICTURE!

I'll say!

Very interesting

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
As an alternative to using wrap plastic, consider helicopter tape. It is called tape because originally it could only be bought in say 2 inch rolls for blade protection. But nowadays plenty of companies sell identical adhesive plastic in large sizes. I bought 20 inch wide pieces for fender protection. It is thick and bouncy, so grit just bounces off. Doesn't curve as well as wrap plastic obviously but for certain lower and underbody areas it may be useful.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Has anyone explored getting another set of belly pans?

will probably be very easy to duplicate if someone has a car and willing to take them off and let them be used for a plug. they would not be damaged either.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS TO GET PROTECTIVE CLEAR FILM ON THE UNDERBODY?

I was thinking the exact same thing!

but the good thing is since its not rarely seen it can be a dIY project cause it doesn't have to be perfect. especially if the pans come out it will be easier you can buy bulk film and just get busy. that will be my first mod

Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
You guys will have to carry mirrors to car shows so people can see under it. And/or jack up one side when you park.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
As an alternative to using wrap plastic, consider helicopter tape. It is called tape because originally it could only be bought in say 2 inch rolls for blade protection. But nowadays plenty of companies sell identical adhesive plastic in large sizes. I bought 20 inch wide pieces for fender protection. It is thick and bouncy, so grit just bounces off. Doesn't curve as well as wrap plastic obviously but for certain lower and underbody areas it may be useful.
Where do you buy it?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
And/or jack up one side when you park.

Too bad no integrated floor jacks. :eek

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
In the racing world, its often referred to as "leading edge tape" Here is one potential source:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/keywordsearch.asp?KeywordStart=leading+edge+tape&KeywordButton=Go

Where do you buy it?

Topnotch

Dec 2, 2015
[video=youtube;Xvll1BQYTAA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvll1BQYTAA[/video]

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I can't wait to see the faces of little kids when I let them sit in mine. Non stop smile

NJS

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 23, 2017
SE Michigan
The backstory on the video is that when the car was delivered, I promised my dealer a ride in the car. He followed us back to the dealership and the dealer principal came out so I showed him some of the features.

None of us knew that his video was running....

Last edited: