First drive and a question for y'all...

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
The car is just awesome.. no other words can describe it... simply awesome.

BUT... I'm getting some big time noise from the transaxle area... sounds like the release bearing for the clutch is rough, goes away when you push in the clutch, but at idle with the hood..errr rear deck raised up, it's deffinately noticable.

I have about 40 miles on it now.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

mardyn

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Mardyn,

It's normal idle rollover noise. They all do it...its because the car has a 0/0 lash predamper in the clutch. It gives you killer throttle response and virtually eliminates clunk. The new Shelby GT500 has the same thing....

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
DBK... thanks for the input. I'm a little less nervous right now. As a long time car guy, I'm pretty sensitve to any unusal noise/smell/vibration from my vehicles.

Has anyone heard similar noises as I'm experiencing?

mardyn

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mardyn,

Congratulations on the new machine.

I know exactly how you feel.

I too had a similar experience after my first 52 mile drive. I backed the car into her stall and that “what the heck is this noise” question came into my mind. The noise was amplified being there was a wall right behind the car. First thought was a bad throw-out bearing, but symptoms were backward from that of a bad throw-out bearing. This was on a Friday evening, and I really didn’t rest too well that night with visions of needing to split the engine from the transaxle – not a pretty vision for a brand new super-car.

The next morning I am on every WEB site I can think of to find out what the heck is going on. Ford, Panoz, Ricardo, How It Works, etc. Found a thread on this site discussing the “neutral rollover noise” phenomenon that made me feel a little better. However, as you mentioned, I too have a number of high performance automobiles, and being of a rather discerning type personality, I needed much more reassurance. Needless to say it was a LONG weekend of thought and worry.

On the next Monday morning I was immediately on the phone to my Ford dealer’s technician and he said he would be right out to our place so we could take a look at it. He also talked to the Ford Regional representative and they both assured me that this was in fact the “neutral gear rollover” noise as DBK has indicated and that it was normal and not an issue. Well, there are times when you just have to have faith, and this was one of those times. So I decided to run her and see what happens. It has now been almost 2 months, and all is well. The noise is still there, but no adverse issues.

Your new “BABY” is OK!! Let her run as she is intended and created to be. This is truly an AMAZING MACHINE. ENJOY THE RIDE!!

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Spirit...

I will sleep easier tonight.

Thanks
mardyn

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Mardyn, et tu my friend.....

Been through the same as you. Picked the car up, drove to work ~40 mi., fired it up for a few friends to look at and I had the same noise and experience.

My first thought was a throw out bearing and here I am with only 40 miles and the car which cost three times as much as my first house has to go in the shop!

A friend looking at the car knew of the clutch and calmed me down with the statement "the car has to settle in - wait a day" Sure enough, the rattling settled down to what it should be.

Just face the facts this car is great but is as unique by build as any other high end car with its own nuances. I finally broke 2k miles today and its picked up a few more noises and lost a few more that were there from day 1.

Trust me - you wont regret the character of yours.....